Ngd: Found An Sg For 3 Bills

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by RiverRatt, May 6, 2017.

1. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Well-Known Member

2. R.Kandy

R.Kandy Well-Known Member

Nice score bro, she's a real beauty.

RiverRatt likes this.
  3. RiverRatt

RiverRatt Well-Known Member VIP Member

Kris, I oiled the Schaller machines and they are a lot smoother. I'm thinking about your suggestion, but apparently the Schaller keystone buttons are a rare item. I did find replacement Grover keystone buttons but I'm not sure if they will fit. Any idea where to look?

4. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

5. RiverRatt

Thanks Dogs. I've been there. All they stock are pearloid and ebony versions of the standard Schaller button shape. I can't find anyone who stocks a replacement Keystone button. If I knew the Grover buttons would fit, I could get a set of theirs for under $20.

EDIT: I found the part number. It's 100051 or 11-CH. The only sellers that stock them, as far as I can tell, are on Amazon and all are in Japan. Prices range from $8.70 to $20 PER BUTTON. The cheap ones are from sellers with less than stellar feedback.

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  6. jross68052

jross68052 Active Member

Id hate to see the guys head that got hit with that guitar!

Dogs of Doom likes this.
  7. RiverRatt

Some news to report on this; I just happened to run across a pic of an Angus Young signature and it has the same Gibson M6 machines with the same buttons as mine. His first SG was supposed to be a 1970 or '71, so I guess that's what they used on the early Norlin guitars.

I do like the look though, and I tried really hard to find the tulip buttons for sale somewhere. When I couldn't find them for sale on the Schaller website, I contacted them to see why they weren't available. I got an immediate reply from Dr. Lars Bünning, the owner and CEO of Schaller!

We exchanged emails and finally he said they weren't available for sale on their site. He asked me what color I wanted them in, along with my mailing address, and offered to send me a set! They are being mailed to me at no cost.

This is the kind of service I wish that all companies offered. I still can't believe it. Hell, I called the Marshall people trying to find a replacement indicator lamp for a Vintage Modern. They were positive initially but once I told them I was in the USA, the conversation stopped then and there. I was given a contact in the US who wanted to send me to a Marshall service center. The nearest one was over two hours away... all for a damned indicator.

Finally I convinced him that I could work on an amp without killing myself and was able to get the part sent. When it arrived, it was the same square RED indicator lamp that you can buy from just about any supplier for a few bucks, not the ultra-rare purple indicator. I ended up just taking the original one apart and replacing the blown neon bulb with a blue LED. Glorious purple light for days, and it is probably still burning bright.

SG~GUY, Kris Ford and Dogs of Doom like this.
  8. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Well-Known Member

Very cool! They may have used those Schallers on the AY RI, but 70's GIBSON always used the tulips..like on mine:
    [​IMG]
    VERY cool when the CEO responds, and hooks you up!

SG~GUY likes this.