NGD - Fender Ultra Strat HSS

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Trelwheen, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Trelwheen

Trelwheen Well-Known Member

Just arrived last night. I got it from Sweetwater. I had them do a plek job on it and set the action low, with Elixir 9 - 42s (same string gauge they ship them with.)

The Ultra's neck profile, the tapered heel and next gen pickups seemed to hold a lot of promise for a great playing Strat right out of the box. All in all it's different enough to have made me decide to try one.

The finish is very nice on both the body and the neck/headstock. Everything looks flawless.
    IMG_20191212_002157591~01.jpg

The modern D neck is nice and slim and the satin finish is slick and silent. The neck feels a lot more like my Ibanez necks than my other Fenders. The fingerboard is very comfortable. The frets feel like gentle bumps beneath the strings, smooth and slick. The action is quite low for a Strat, and doing all kinds of bends, scales and runs is a blast. Here's the really, really good part....the heel is tapered on one side like some earlier strats, but it's also tapered IN toward the neck in an additional contour thats cut across the body's shoulders (see pics below). This makes it so easy to reach all the upper frets and do all your gymnastics like you do an octave down below. The ads do not exaggerate the difference that those two tapers make at the heel.
    IMG_20191211_235558014~01.jpg
    IMG_20191211_235550260~01.jpg

The humbucker in the bridge is hot and sounds really good. The coil tap in the vol knob gives you a nice hot single coil that still sounds like a strat. Very little volume loss when switching to single coil. The middle and neck pickups sound like Fat 50s, but they don't hum!
    IMG_20191211_232852251~01.jpg

About the plekking: I wish I had had the luxury of being able to play this guitar before the plek job. Just out of curiosity. Anyway, I'm sure that the frets benefited greatly because I've never felt frets as smooth and unobtrusive as these. The action is buttery and effortless. Unfortunately there are a couple of fret buzzes...one is on the open A string! I imagine that everything flexed a little bit in transit, so I'm going to tweak a couple of string heights just a little bit to see if I can correct the buzzes.
    IMG_20191211_232945320~01~01.jpg

All things considered, this guitar has made quite an impression on me. I think we're bonding. :shred2:

2. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

Real nice that plex job is a trip. Seen it on YouTube. Getting it set right is well worth it

Trelwheen likes this.
  3. Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers Well-Known Member

Very nice indeed!:applause:

FWIW: One man's low action is another man's fret buzz. There is no one setup that fits all player's styles. :agreed:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  4. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

5. Trelwheen

Yep, another step in edging out the human factor. HAL gave me a nice action and some sizzly fret buzz. Perhaps he could be persuaded to play my songs for me too :lol:

Quite true! That's why I think everyone should have at least.....oh....300 guitars or so....

6. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Just looking at the pics, the A saddle is way too low and doesn't follow the radius at all, unlike the rest of em

Seems like they just forgot to adjust it.

Raise it 1/2 of the way towards the D position and go from there.

Mitchell Pearrow and Trelwheen like this.
  7. Trelwheen

Good eye! Yep, it appears that they missed the set up after the plek job completely. I may send them a bill for setting it up myself

8. Trelwheen

Well I made a few adjustments...actually I just looked down the neck and decided to pull up sharply on the headstock. Much much better and no more buzzes. It just needed to settle

Mitchell Pearrow and dptone5 like this.
  9. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Uhm.... that's not really supposed to work if all is well

Trelwheen likes this.
  10. Trelwheen

:bump: I gotta admit I didn't really pull on the neck. Guilty of a little leg pulling though

I raised the A and G just a hair. No more buzzes and intonation is good. Best playing Strat I've ever played

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  11. dptone5

dptone5 Well-Known Member

Beautiful HSS Strat!! Congrats. My favorite guitars. I have two American Deluxe HSS Strats. They are awesome!!

BftGibson and Trelwheen like this.
  12. Trelwheen

Thanks!

I was going to ask you to throw some pics of yours up here, then I thought why don't we make a Strat Loverz thread? I've got a couple of babies I could share as well

dptone5 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  13. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your new strat brother, that thing just beautiful.

Trelwheen likes this.
  14. dptone5

Here are my 3 Strats on the wall. An Eric Clapton Strat and 2 American Deluxe's HSS. I took out the S1 switching and replaced the pups. Have an EVH Wolfgang in the bridge on both. On the black one, I have Fat 50's in the neck and middle and on the 3 tone one, I have Kinman Fat 50 Impersonators.

[​IMG]

15. Trelwheen

Nice wall

Is that Taylor a 414?

dptone5 likes this.
  16. dptone5

Hey Trelwheen. It is a 410ce. I recently sold it and got an 814ce Deluxe. The 814 is unbelievable. Check out my NGD thread for that guitar.

DP

Trelwheen likes this.
  17. Trelwheen

Wow, the 800s are some seriously nice instruments. I've played them but never have owned one. I'll check your Thread out

dptone5 likes this.