Newbie Help! Jcm800 Trade For 1974x

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Turtle714, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Turtle714

Turtle714 New Member

Hey all!
    I am having the hardest time making this decision and would love your 2 cents. I've been playing Marshalls for years and recently came into a situation where 1/2 stacks are getting to big for my needs these days.
    Recently a guy offered me a 1974x that is in nice shape for my jcm800 2204 50 watt head. Now my only concerns are- I do love my JCM and it's a little sentimental. The other concern is I do gig and will be using this with a band. Will it be loud enough and am I making a mistake to get rid of the Jcm? I'm not a high gain player and keep my Jcm preamp around 11oclock. Also does the 1974x clean up well with the volume knob? Thanks you guys. I really appreciate your input.

2. FennRx

FennRx Well-Known Member

Hard pass.

The 1974x is a cool amp and is plenty loud but no way would I trade a 2204 for one. If anything, go buy a 1974x and have both.

3. Turtle714

Turtle714 New Member

Thanks! I just feel I will never be able to use the Jcm live, though it is a really great amp. It seems the 1974x sounds great but even if my band isn't crazy loud, will I miss the headroom of the Jcm. I'm an urge of breakup to sweet low drive type of player. The other guitar/singer uses a deluxe reverb so I thought I'd shrink down a bit and still get that Marshall sound.
    Also,
    I forgot to mention the amp is about 1 1/2 hrs away And I def wanna try it. Worth the ride or am I going to be disappointed I did.

4. FennRx

FennRx Well-Known Member

The 1974x is a nice little combo. I don’t think it’s worth it’s NIB price tag personally, but it does sound nice.

The prices on 2203-2204s keep going up. Plus you have a sentimental connection. Do not sell/trade that amp.

5. jcm800gridlock

jcm800gridlock Well-Known Member

I’ve owned two 1974x’s, I wanted to love them both but could not. A great sounding amp but just not enough bass or bottom end for my tastes running EL84’s. Perhaps an EQ or a speaker swap would have helped.

The 1974x would probably be plenty loud for most indoor gigs. As I recall the 1974x had to be almost dimed to really overdrive (volume at 8-10) and by then it was pretty loud.

I would think that the 1974x in good condition would be worth more ($500+) than a JCM800 Head (especially a non vertical input model).

If your other guitar player is using a DR, I would think that a 1974x would complement that amp nicely.

Maybe take the trade, try the handwired 1974x, and sell it at a profit I’d it does not work for you. Then you would have more purchasing options should you still want to downsize.

I would still make the drive and check it out or have the other guy meet half way in between (meet at a GC) to check it out. You may love the 1974x.

I still want to get another 1974x or a 1973x (2x12’s) and make it work for me. It is just the best looking Marshall out there, it’s handwired, the perfect size, wattage, and a 12 speaker(s).

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  6. Turtle714

Turtle714 New Member

Thanks fennrx! I think your advice is just what I needed to hear. My wife is getting sick of me talking about it and my friends all said- sounds good to the trade, and are all players but not really enthusiast. They're more looking at the market value I think. I don't really want to trade it to sell it for something else. And I agree, the JCMs seem to fluctuate in price but lately have been creeping up.
    Honestly I think it's one of the best amps I've ever owned to date and I've had the handwired jtm45. Great amp BUT you have to really push it and that's hardly possible for what I'm doing. I'm not a pedal guy really but I have some effects. Nothing to me like a driven amp tone. If the 1974x has to be cranking, I'm probably going to compromise any effect tone going into the input I'm thinking anyways. Like trem, some delay(but mostly in some cleaner bridge stuff for a song we do). I really like owning what I can play. Even though the Jcm is a bigger amp to haul, it def always works and is more versitile than I'd ever thought as I learn a little bit every time I use it. Again thanks for the great advice. Any info on maybe getting a combo type cab for it and load it into a 2x12 combo or leave it be. I'm guessing leavi it be. Haha. Rock out! Thanks FennRx

FennRx likes this.
  7. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Keep the 800..find an 18w tmb clone and have both..the clones can be found for $500-600. I built mine for much less.
    Mine cleans up nice with the guitar volume..it has a tube rectifier so it has that b+ sag..not as crisp as the solidstate rectified 800. The tmb has a master volume as well, and of course the treble,middle,bass controls.

Wailing, Mitchell Pearrow and FennRx like this.
  8. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

The 2204 is better for loudness control.
    Better sound at a reasonable loudness.

The 1974 is just loud as shit.

The 2204 has a extra gain stage that allows preamp distortion...
    The 1974 is a clean amp, which depends on output tube distortion.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    Mitchell Pearrow and Trident like this.
  9. Gunner64

Yep. No master volume on the 1974x so It needs to be cranked to get it to break up..but the tmb clone variation does...do you need the tremolo channel? The tmb eliminates the tremolo channel and replaces it with the 3 band tone stack, and a master volume. The 1974x just has a tone control for each channel, and as mentioned no master volume.

10. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

Good observation.

The 1974 is a stadium amp. Not quite suitable for rehearsals and small venues.

Marshall created 2204
    so that you could get "that sound," in a small room.

11. FennRx

FennRx Well-Known Member

The 1974x is loud but, 18w combos are hardly stadium amps (without a mic)

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  12. Gunner64

But with no master volume they need to be almost full tilt to get to break up..not exactly a roaring 100 watt plexi, but still too loud for most club/ barroom situations..the sound guy will be on your ass.

13. Gunner64

153530129061151760686.jpg clone-henge...

14. Turtle714

Turtle714 New Member

Nice guys, you guys have some great opinions and knowledge about this stuff and some great gear. Thanks again- I feel my Jcm is really sweet sounding and hate to regret selling one that I really like. Also doesn't the vertical and horizontal 2204s have the same circuit? I thought the 100watt got the filter reduction etc as the years continued. But I could be wrong.

15. Gunner64

The 100 watt did have a reduction in filter caps. The 50 watt didnt. And both had the inputs mounted horizontally to the pcb in the latter versions where the early vertical inputs were wired.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  16. mikebinthesky

mikebinthesky Member

Gut feeling-you are gonna miss that amp if you sell it

17. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member

Keep that 2204!! Get a 2x12 cab if you want more compact. You can also try and find one with less sensitive speakers so you can turn the JCM up a bit more without blowing people out of the joint.

Rockcity, mixn4him and Chris-in-LA like this.
  18. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

Just get a 2X12 cab, lighter and easier to move in and out of places, that’s what I use for my JCM’s. BTW, keep your 2204, don’t do the trade.

mixn4him likes this.
  19. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

2204 through a 2x12 with a pair of Greenbacks, sorted!

I have a really 18w trem 2x12 (prerola T1220s), in fact gigged it last night, only at 3 on the volume of trem channel, tone all the way up. Had to use pedals for the dirt and crunch, coil tap and pups for volume changes (Tonebender/Tubescreamer/EP but works very well. Compact, great for quick load in and out (vs 4x12, head and spare, attenuator, spare leads, speaker cables etc). Bear in mind I have a TMB18EF86 clone I built which does not sound as good as the NMV, when I get round to it I might have to rework it but I fear it is the original Ceriatone OT that is the limiting factor.

mixn4him likes this.
  20. Thebigt71

Thebigt71 Member

I gig a 2203 through a half stack. Best Marshall tone ever. I own lots of marshall amps, mostly 100 watt versions, but some 50 watt versions, too. Keep the 2204 and rock out! Besides, EL 34 tubes are the Marshall sound, not EL 84s.