New (to me) SL5....1w/5w switch issue?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Exodus5, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Exodus5

Exodus5 New Member

I just received my SL5 combo. It sounds pretty good but I have a ton of tubes to try out in it. I did find one issue...I went to switch it to 1w instead of 5w and it sounded like I expected, but when I went to switch it back to 5w it hissed and gurgled for several seconds before it finally stopped and worked normally. I tried it a few more times and it did it again once when I didn't FULLY force the switch into the 5w position. Is it a dirty/sticking switch? I only got it to do it twice and it hasn't done it again since, so maybe it is gone?

Side note, any recommendations on tubes? I have a couple of old Svetlana EL34s.

2. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

Do you put it in standby when you hit the power switch?

from the manual:

upload_2019-9-17_18-22-54.png

Micky likes this.
  3. Exodus5

Exodus5 New Member

Err....no. I missed that. I saw a couple demo videos and I know for sure one of them didn't do that. Oh well, lesson learned.

4. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I would think some electronic spray like Deoxit on the switch would help it, I bet its dirty from lack of use, the previous owner probably never used the switch.