New stuff day... sorta. Strymon, Peterson, TC Electronic

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by GuitarIV, Apr 4, 2020.

1. GuitarIV

GuitarIV Well-Known Member

So I had some new stuff for a while and never posted about it:

IMG-20200404-WA0001.jpg

I bought the Peterson Strobostomp HD Tuner about 3 months ago, had it at a gig with me, rehearsals and I use it at home all the time. Especially for intonating instruments.

If you had told me a half a year ago that I'd go ahead and spend more than a 100€ on a tuning device, I probably would have laughed.

Well, not anymore. I had some headaches with my instruments in regards to tuning and intonation and started looking deeper into the subject. I guess my ears developed to the point were I can hear the imperfections of the tuning system of the guitar and whilst it is impossible to change that (unless you go for true temperament frets), you can certainly lessen the extent of it.

I am so very happy with this thing. Once I started using it I sold my TC Polytune Mini instantly, I only kept my Boss TU-3 as a backup. This thing is as precise as it gets and I have no more tuning headaches. It also has the feauture of live monitoring your guitar, so you play and you can follow the notes around on the display, once you see something's out of tune you just quickly tune up or down when you have a short break mid song. Feels sturdy and high quality, I haven't even tried out the Sweetened tuning options yet. Intonating with the Strobostomp is a dream. Highly recommended, once you buy it, it's hard to go back to a non Strobe device.

The TC Electronic Flashback Mini 2 arrived last week and the reason I went for this pedal was because they added the tap tempo feature in version 2. I also try to keep my board footprint small so I have less weight to lug around and in regards to mini pedals, TC delivers.

Now I'm sure there are better sounding Delay pedals out there, but for the price, the size and the ability to tweak sounds in the Toneprint app, this thing is unbeatable so far.

Did I mention it has tap tempo?

I need to go to different speeds when I use delay, sometimes I need it for clean parts, then other times when I solo, it is sure as hell handy to be able to control everything with your foot instead of having to kneel down and turn a knob mid song. So happy with that so far.

I also tried the Toneprint app for the first time with the Corona Mini chorus (what an unfortunate name in these times) and I'm happy to report that I am very pleased with the profiles available. I will most likely get the Hall of Fame Mini 2 as well.

Last but certainly not least the Strymon Zuma.

Oh Strymon. So much praise I read and hear about them, yet I am not ready to spend the amounts of money they ask for their pedals... yet.

This was my board situation before:

IMG-20200323-WA0034.jpg

As you can see I was using two Fuel Tank Chameleons.

Not because I couldn't power everything off of one, but because I wanted to keep the noise level minimal.

Not to bag on T-Rex... but the Zuma is not only on another level, it's in a different dimension.

You think, why spend that crazy amount of cash on a powersupply?

Well, because you don't want noise. You wanna be able to place the supply under your board, save space and no matter what you put up on top of it, it's silent. Even if it is a Wah pedal.

Strymon delivers. 9 outputs, 500 milliAmps each, 2 switchable ones, the ability to connect a second Zuma or the smaller Ohai for even more power...

There is a reason these units cost that much. But you only buy once. The Fuel Tanks are going up for sale this week.

It's also super lightweight and as said totally noisefree. I ordered the Pedaltrain brackets as well and will be rebuilding my board again, this time hopefully for good.

There ya have it. My new toys. Makes isolation a bit more pleasant.

Now the only thing left to do is to go through my closet and round up all the stuff I don't need anymore, pickups, pedals, power supplies etc.

Even thinking about selling one of my guitars. Can't hurt to have some extra cash on the side.

Have a good day and stay safe folks,

Cheers

Bull Rock, jmp45, Sapient and 3 others like this.
  2. dro

dro Well-Known Member

Nice to play in tune isn't it? I can't believe the people who can afford higher end guitars and amps, and still use crap to tune with. Been using Peterson since 1978 Model 450, Model 490, Two pedalboards with the Original Strobostomp, Original Stroboclip and Stroboclip HD. If you're not gonna' play in tune, Put it away and go home.

GuitarIV likes this.
  3. GuitarIV

I will never be able to use a regular tuner again... it's ridiculous!

Don't regret a single Euro I spent on the thing :D

4. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

You can tune a guitar but you can’t tunafish . Great looking pedal board

5. wakjob

wakjob Well-Known Member

First...nice. Power supplies are so overlooked.

Next is a general question for anyone to answer...
    Do you find it difficult on some guitars to intonate with a strobe or really accurate tuner?

I found that with some guitars, it can create problems elsewhere.
    Nothing can be "perfect". I usually have to make a compromise somewhere.

Open, 12th fret, 12th fret harmonic method might be my problem?

6. dro

dro Well-Known Member

Perfection in anything is a myth. Guitar is an instrument that reacts to the way it is attacked. When you get used to using a good tuner,(Strobe) you will soon learn about gravity. If you tune and intonate your guitar while laying on a table. I can guarantee when you pick it up it will be off. Strap your guitar on, plugged into a strobe, tune a note then move you're guitar around. You'll see the note move. So take that neck rest block and throw it in the trash. That thing will throw it even farther out. All adjustments should be made in the playing position. The position the guitar will be in the most.

Bull Rock and GuitarIV like this.
  7. Sapient

Sapient Well-Known Member

Nice stuff! Thanks for the pics. One of the best parts of being part of an online board.

GuitarIV likes this.
  8. GuitarIV

As @dro pointed out, strap the guitar on in standing/playing position and adjust the intonation using the strobe that way. Gravity pulls it out of tune like you wouldn't believe.

Also instead of using the 12th fret harmonic what I do is use frets 5 and 17 and make sure the notes are as close as possible. So if you play the 5th fret on the E string it shows you an A (if you're tuned to standard) and you make sure the A on the 17th fret is not flat or sharp.

Peterson recommends this on their website and I had good results with it:

https://www.petersontuners.com/beyond/?p=1163

"One popular alternative is to use a strobe tuner to adjust each string so that it is in tune at two points that are set one octave apart from each other on the fret board.

Using the 5th and 17th fret as an example:

• Tune a string at the 5th fret.

• Check the string at the 17th. If sharp, move the saddle back, thus lengthening the string. If flat, shorten the string by moving the saddle forward. Remember to fret the string using the pressure that you would normally apply while playing.

• Keep repeating this process until each string is in tune as much as possible at both the 5th and 17th frets.

This method takes time and has to be repeated if you change string gauges, but yields very satisfactory results if properly executed."

Last but not least, use your ears to determine how the strings sound in relation to each other. Every person has a different playing style, depending on how light or heavy your touch is, you might have to compensate.

Here's an up to date photo:

IMG-20200427-WA0008.jpg

Everything redone with 3M Dual Lock and the George Ls cut to proper lengths :)

Bull Rock, wakjob and Sapient like this.
  9. dro

dro Well-Known Member

How do you like that Octaswitch GuitarIV. I had to get a massive pedalboard when I bought my Combinator 2. At that time the Octaswitch was just about as big. Nearly got one of the compact Octaswitch units when I built a smaller board.
    PEDALBOARD.JPG
    But playing live less and less decided to save the $$$ and go with what I had.
    JTMAC.JPG

GuitarIV and Sapient like this.
  10. GuitarIV

The Octaswitch is great! All analog, easy and fast to dial in presets, reliable and gives you amp switching as well. It does take up some space but if you need to cover lots of ground it's a great piece of gear, no tapdancing whatsoever :)

11. wakjob

wakjob Well-Known Member

Dang, y'all got some nice pedal boards.

GuitarIV likes this.
  12. Bull Rock

Bull Rock Well-Known Member

13. dro

dro Well-Known Member

No tapdancing is the best part. My Combinator is also my power supply. With dedicated tuner out and tuner mute. I can leave my tuner on all the time. Was a big ticket but well worth it if you are doing a variety of sounds.

GuitarIV likes this.