New Speaker Day - Suhr Reactive Load I.R

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by dptone5, Jan 21, 2020.

1. dptone5

dptone5 Well-Known Member

Well that didn't take long.........

Got the Universal Audio Ox at Sweetwater and was looking forward to getting great results. Had it a few days and tried some recordings with my 2555 Jubilee. Sounded pretty good, a little harsh and something going on with the mids that I couldn't dial out, but I'd give it some time.

Tried recording last week and much more over the weekend. Used the 800 and the Plexi and really struggled with all the options. Picking the cabinet, the two close mics, the room mic, go on/off axis, add low-cut filter, add damping or not on the room mic, tweak the level of each, consider using the Compressor and EQ..........well, it became maddening......(will a Kemper ever be for me??)....

On top if it, we bought the Suhr Reactive Load IR for our church worship team. I brought it home and tried it out. WOW - the funky mids were gone, no options, just pick one of the 16 cabs and that's it. Compared the 4x12 GB IR to my actual recording of my 1960BX, and it was amazingly close. In some parts, virtually indistinguishable.

The Suhr is much simpler, you can load 3rd party IR's (can't do that with the Ox) and it is less than half the price.

Thankfully, Sweetwater is amazing about returns and the Ox was sent back. My own Suhr should arrive this week. Looking forward to getting better results without the endless amount of options and tweaking....

Hope this helps anyone else looking into this technology.

DP

2. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Good on ya DP. Have been doing some research myself in this area. Yes the OX was way expensive and when compared to the Suhr I.R. out of this world expensive.
    I got a hunch you are going to be very pleased with the Suhr I.R.
    Please do keep us informed about that new piece of gear.
    BP

dptone5 likes this.
  3. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

funny, I just posted a thread w/ the Suhr demos. Look in Cellar Andy Wood.

Andy Wood

dptone5 and mAx___ like this.
  4. 4Horseman

4Horseman Well-Known Member

Hey DP, congrats man. I'm glad you got that sorted out quick. I looked at those UA OXs a while ago. At that price point, I could have just dropped a few more bills for a Kemper. That put me on the fence for about a year. The truth is, all I wanted was another way to record my tube amps. I don't need integrated effects and all of my amps have loops. So, while gear like the Boss tube amp expander might be great for some, for me it was redundant and a waste of money. Anyway, I picked up a Suhr Reactive Load I/R two weeks ago and finally had a go with it this weekend. First I put my YJM 100 through it. Wow! I had channels jumped, with both master volumes at 8.5 and was getting power tube distortion like I have never experienced before with that amp. I did notice it would clip pretty easy at this volume so I had to tinker a little bit. Normally I run that amp with volume one on 3ish and volume 2 on 7ish with the built in attenuator midway. That will literally knock things off the wall :D. Next, I tried my JVM through it. I pretty much live in OD orange on that amp and cycled through all of the IRs while playing the same riff. I couldn't believe the difference and can't help wondering if real speakers vary that widely. I gravitated to just a few with that mode and haven't even bothered looking to see which speakers they are copying. I guess I don't want to be biased by a speaker's legacy. A blind tone test, if you will. Anyway, enjoy that sucker, I know I am.

dptone5 likes this.
  5. dptone5

Thank you BP. I am looking forward to it. My initial results were terrific. I also listened to a few Celestion IR's that will be a great addition - Lynchback and Heritage G12H (55). But for the most part, I am a G12M Greenback guy!!

I saw that one Dogs and commented. Terrific player and a Suhr everything guy......guitars, amps, accessories.

BanditPanda and Dogs of Doom like this.
  6. dptone5

Wow, thanks so much 4Horseman for posting this! Glad to hear your liking your Suhr!! I am with you 100%. I want a way to record my amps at reasonable volume and get great tone. I spent over a decade buying and selling amps until I found the 3 I will never part with. I know this is the "sunk cost" bias at work, but I love my Marshalls and when I record, that is what I want to use. But I need to protect my family and my hearing!

Looking forward to hearing some of your work my friend!!

DP

4Horseman likes this.
  7. dptone5

Here are a few good demo videos.......please check out if this interests you!!

8. dptone5

And a few really good sounding Celestion IR's that can be loaded into the Suhr.......but then again, I want to avoid a lot of tweaking. I will probably find a few I like and stick with them!!

Here is where you can get them. $12/each or 3 for $20 or 5 for $30.

https://www.celestionplus.com/product/heritage-g12h-55-4x12-closed/

DP

BanditPanda and 4Horseman like this.
  9. Australian

Australian Green Beret VIP Member

Suhr seems like a great option.
    The Kemper is very popular around worship musicians in the US going by the number of websites and YouTube channels. You'll love it!

dptone5 likes this.
  10. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

I bought the H30 (55hz) bundle.

In a DAW, you can mix multiple IRs. They have a few center cone IRs & some room recorded. So, you could mix the Royer 121, MD-421 & a stereo Neumann room mic, like I did, & make a custom IR for you...

dptone5 and BanditPanda like this.
  11. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Well-Known Member

congratz man!! I'll look for it. I'm looking for a 2nd attenuator. in this price point we have now the new torpedo captor with IRs.

dptone5 likes this.
  12. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Well-Known Member