New Pickup For My Strat

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by pedecamp, Jan 13, 2013.

1. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Well John, that's a good question, I know I've been messing with this guitar and pickups for three years now LOL. I liked a lot of them but not enough to keep them including the A2Pro. The A2Pro I've gotten used to the tone and like it, I just need it to be a little more aggressive to be where I like. They actually make a trembucker version of it that is advertised at 8.8K, this might be the ticket, the regular A2Pro I have now is at 8.1K (advertised at 8.4K). I might order an AT-1 even though I think its too hot otherwise I'll never know. The A2Pro trembucker would be custom order so I probably wouldn't be able to return it if it doesn't live up to my expectations, so hence my hesitation, but again if it actually measures at 8.8K I think it would fit the bill. A pickup I think would probably work very well in my Strat is a Gibson 57 Custom Plus (have one in my SG and love it) but I want a white trembucker for this guitar. Sorry, OCD over rules LOL.

2. dptone5

dptone5 Well-Known Member

Hi Pedecamp. I think the CC has strong low mids, particularly in an alder body guitar. It sounds amazing in my Jackson SL-1. Although this may sound odd, I disagree with the SD tone chart on the CC. I think it is a low-mid focused pickup with smooth highs. The Fender Custom Deluxe Stratocaster comes stock with the SD Custom Custom. Clips of this pickup in a Strat sound amazing. May be worth a try.

I think the CC smokes the AT-1 in every way. Hope this helps!

DirtySteve likes this.
  3. dptone5

Check out in YouTube the 2011 Fender Custom Deluxe HSS Stratocaster. Here you will find the CC in a Strat.

4. Webslinger

Webslinger Member

I researched many sound clips on both and agree that the Lil59 sounds more mellow (and stock/vintage to me?) where the JBJr was hotter and just what I was looking for. Im using the JBJr at the bridge and retained the 250 pots, and didn't get any muddy or boomyness. I think it "fattened-up" nicely without going to far.

pedecamp likes this.
  5. Webslinger

Webslinger Member

I did a fair amount of research into SC-sized HB's. I only found one other review that said the JBJr was extremely bright & thin. What he went-on to say was that he reversed the + & - wires and got the expected fuller sound. Im thinking there may have been a bad production-run where the polarity was reversed? My JBJr was nice and fat, connected as instructed. I also did the auto-split wiring trick, and get a nice quack out of #2 switch position, albeit a slightly thinner tone, but about the same as with stock US-made SC's on #2.

6. pedecamp

I got the Seymour Duncan Custom Custom installed two days ago and have been running it through its paces. I do have to say at 13.5K its not overly hot like I was fearing, actually very much like you describe, low-mid focus with smooth highs. I'm still messing with height adjustment to see where it needs to be, a few more days and hopefully I'll have it optimally setup. I'm still thinking I might order an AT-1 just to see if I like it and how it compares.

dptone5 likes this.
  7. dptone5

Glad to here this my friend!! I didn't want to steer you wrong. Keep me posted on your progress and comparison.

DP

pedecamp likes this.
  8. pedecamp

So the Custom Custom is going back (I'm sure no one is surprised LOL) I got used to it and liked it but still wasn't blown away like I am with my Gibson pickups. So I was pretty sure I'd order a Dimarzio AT-1 but I'm not totally sold on the fact its high output which I really don't want, so I started looking again and found something that was totally not on the radar the Dimarzio Air Norton. This guy is at 12.5K and comes in white f-spaced, the thing that was interesting is that its a neck pickup but can be used in the bridge for medium output applications. 12.5K is pretty hot by my standards but maybe not by Dimarzio's, we'll see when it gets here, reviews I read said it had an airy tone and the eq on it has the highs at 5, mids at 7 and lows at 7.5, this looks like a fairly tame curve, I liked videos I saw on it. Its ordered and I'll get it once they receive the Custom Custom back, meanwhile I got thinking I never put a neck pickup in the bridge and remembered I have a Gibson 496R sitting in a box, so why not try it! I measured it before I put it in and it was at 8.4K, let me tell you I was very surprised how good it sounded in my Strat bridge! Its a little thicker than I want but it sounds really good and I'm still playing with the pickup height and amp eq and getting good results. My Strat bridge is kind of sounding like a Gibson right now and I like it. :yesway:

dptone5 likes this.
  9. dreyn77

dreyn77 Well-Known Member

are you ready to admit your idea about pickup numbers is a wrong concept, yet?

maybe those great pickups are made to just make a selection of sounds which are considered to be a set of tones.
    if you want some unique set of tones then you'll just have to research what sounds are on offer for the set of pickups.
    I think somebody over at dimarzio had at some point acquired a set of pickups out of the Fernandez limited edition flying V guitars, cause those Vai Evo pickups are based in those tones of that guitars set of sounds. they really do offer a pro guitarist a massive tone options to play with. classic sounds but hot versions.
    if you listen to ozzy's tribute recording and you hear 3 distinct pickup tones, then youre on your way. you can hear tone difference and sets of tone sounds. good luck! forget numbers inrelation to pickups.

the 496 is made for the neck and it's made for the set of pickups which includes the 500T. the bridge is treble sound.
    if you want something else then don't buy the Gibson or any other Gibson pickup. just go to the pickup maker and tell them the sounds you require. they'll make it happen, you'll just have to accept how they perform that task.

10. pedecamp

Thanks for your comments dreyn. I'm starting to not mind the look of a black pickup in my Strat, I really like the Gibson 57 Classic Plus in my SG, I'm thinking of moving it to my Strat and put the spare BB2 I have laying around in my SG. The BB2 is my all time favorite pickup which is in my LP so I got one for my Strat but it didn't sound so good. Maybe the BB2 will sound good in my SG and the 57C+ sound good in my Strat, the 57C+ is a little thicker sounding than the BB2 which is what my Strat needs.

My problem with having a custom pickup made as you suggest is you cant send it back if you don't like it LOL.

11. dreyn77

Those members should never have suggested that pickup to u!
    The Gibson pickup is made for the Gibson pots(cts).

You'll need to take out those fender pots too. It's not worth it!

The black pickup in the strat is very 1980s style.

It's also a rejection of educated design style, so if they rejected the style in 1980, then they should have built their own product the whole guitar!

12. pedecamp

So what pickup do you suggest I try?

13. dreyn77

thats a big question at 3:30am, so lets have a think about it for a while longer.
    I'm looking at guys test riding motor bikes on youtube and I can't think straight at the moment.

14. dreyn77

You'll have to do what the Seymour Duncan tech suggests so make a list of the things you want the sound to do while you're playing.
    What you want the volume control to do as you turn it while playing. Do you really want the 1950s volume adjustment sound? Or do you want the volume control to adjust the amount of gain in the sound? Etc...
    What do you want the tone control to adjust? The later model pickups can adjust tone from a passive sound to a sound like an active pickup sound. Vintage pickups just allow you to roll off trebles sound.
    Fender pickups seem to be made so they make a set of sounds but that tone range is really wide in its tone possibilities.
    They make their pickups different with each different model guitar. They also make the hum buckets match in with their single coils tones. All 3 pickups are a matching set of pickups.

You'll be wasting your time trying to make a set of pickups from fender and Gibson brands. You can't brighten the pickups sound either. Cheers!

15. pedecamp

So the Dimarzio Air Norton has been in my guitar a couple weeks and its pretty good overall but I still like the low gain of my 496R better, the Air Norton seems a bit hotter than I like. I'm thinking at this point I'll move the Gibson 57 Plus that I love so much out of my SG and into the Strat to see if it holds up. If not I'll put the 496R back in and install a new 500K volume pot and see how it goes.

16. Mystic38

Mystic38 Active Member

@pedecamp

hi!..hate to spoil the fun of buying 50 pups :D .... lol, but how about an eq pedal?..

the Empress paraEQ has 3 band semi parametric plus boost, and the new Orange two stroke has 2 plus boost..but of course makes it industrial strength along the way.

checkout this video to show the level of dramatic difference an eq pedal can make...

17. pedecamp

Thanks for the video! I have an Orange Thunderverb 50 and use a couple pedals to eq its tone which works really well, so I dig where you're coming from, but it is a muddy sounding amp otherwise. As far as guitar goes my goal is to plug and play and get instant gratuitous tone :yesway:

18. pedecamp

Ahhhh much better, like a fine wine. The 57C+ is music to my ears in the bridge of my Strat. I should have tried it years ago, it sounded so good in my SG I didn't want to take it out! Well, now my SG has a BB2 in the bridge and Strat with the 57C+, a win-win for both. :yesway:

Next on my list is replace the neck pickup in my Strat. I'm interested in the Dimarzio Area 58. Stay tuned!

Last edited: May 28, 2016
  19. pedecamp

All done :)

[​IMG]

GIBSON67 likes this.
  20. pedecamp

So the Air Norton goes back today, let me tell you it was a really good pickup but I have a few other humbuckers laying around so it doesn't make sense to keep things to add to the stuff laying around. Incoming is a Dimarzio Area 58 for the neck position and looking forward to getting some noiseless classic neck tones.