New Origin 20H owner

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Graham G, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Graham G

Graham G Member

I decided to try the ORI20H & it's just been delivered.
    It's a strange world sometimes,i've been gigging for just short of 60yrs. & just bought my 1st Marshall this year (a JVM215C),but i'm not totally convinced by it,so I've bought another one(Marshall),it must be an old age thing.
    More seriously the JVM has some great sounds,but there's something i'm not quite gelling with,so I decided to try an Origin,from dems it might be more to my taste,so we'll see.:band:

2. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member

HNAD, Congrats, Origin are great amps

3. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

I agree with tce63,
    I have a pair of 50H’s and love them dearly
    HNAD congratulations on your purchase, after you have had a bit of time to dial it in, please report back on your findings!
    Cheers Mitch

4. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member

Congrats on the new amp...enjoy the smell!!!

I had a JVM 410H a one point and I agree with you they are nice amps but the tone is too modern, tight, stiff whatever you want to call it.

I bet you will love the Origin!!!

5. Graham G

Graham G Member

Thanks Guys,i will of course report back,but it will be next week,no gigs or practice(sorry rehearsal:rolleyes:)this week.
    MarshallDog,that probably puts into words what i'm feeling with the JVM.

6. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Congrats @Graham G,.....what speaker/s are you using with your new Origin head?

Also it’s great to see someone on this forum thats older than me!! :D

7. Mitchell Pearrow

Scozz there was another new member that had ya on age but I cannot remember his name, and I have not seen him since his first thread that got locked down after some stupid forum debauchery, and I also recall Bacardi being up there as well and he has not posted since January, so what I am trying to say is that there are a few, but just not as active as you!
    Cheers Mitch

MarshallDog and scozz like this.
  8. chromeboy

chromeboy Active Member

From what I've seen and heard these are great amps. I thi k I would go with the 50watt head and play it through a good cab. My question for e ery one is why are they so cheap? A new jvm410h goes for $2,599.00 on zzounds and sweat water. Used you can pick one up between $999 and $1500
    So how can Marshall build an tube amp that sounds so good for so cheap. Are they made in China?

MarshallDog and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  9. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Thanks Mitch! @Graham G is 73 so he’s has got 10 years on me!

Also l’ve been much more active this past year or so, before that I was a very causal poster.

I just had my Marshall Forum member anniversary 5 days ago,.....11years on July 20th,...:fever::hbang::eek:

10. MaskingApathy

MaskingApathy Active Member

They're made in Vietnam. Still great amps though. The English made stuff has always been priced higher.

11. Mitchell Pearrow

Damm scozz you only have 2 1/2 years on me, I just had my one year here on 7/2/19- joined 7/2/18:band:
    :cheers: but I gab a lot :blah:

scozz likes this.
  12. Mitchell Pearrow

No brother they are made in Vietnam, but don’t let that distract you, or internet hype, they are a solid, and great amp, that’s why I
    and another member here have 2 of them, they just don’t appeal to everybody!
    Cheers Mitch

tce63 likes this.
  13. Graham G

Graham G Member

Hii,scozz,i will be using my old Mesa EV 1x12" cab,just to get it going,which will tell me if the OR20 will be my long term Amp,if so (& I suspect it will be),i'll work on the best speaker set up to go with it long term,i do already have a Redback 150w,that I tried in my JVM,but i'm really open minded about the eventual cab or cabs.
    I'm pretty sure the OR20 won't have enough welly for gigging,but if as I hope the Origin is for me,i'll be buying a second & using the pair,it's this intention that decided me to buy the 20 & not the 50,i've used dual amps a lot in the past & I really like this set-up,but I think 2x50's would probably be too much once they're cranked & THEY HAVE TO CRANKED,RIGHT/.:rolleyes:
    But like I said I no band practice 'till next week & then a gig at the weekend,so I won't be plugging in 'till then.
    Also Mitchell,thanks for your interest in my thread,you are a good member & I also really like your enthusiasm & the way you treat everyone with respect,at my age these things count for a lot,plus & I also enjoy your vids.
    I'd better stop getting all mushy, there's nothing worse than old men crying :D :band: .

14. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member

IMO, one of the best sounding amps since the JMPs!!!

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  15. Mitchell Pearrow

I love your take on that bro and nothing wrong with wearing your feelings on your sleeve brother, the 20 watt mode is plenty loud enough for a heavy hitting drummer, I have been only using the half power mode on mine recently to able to record them with my phone, it still clips it’s volume though and I think my mid power setting is 25 watts but I only have the volume at 2 1/3, so yes I truly love your plan, can’t wait to read your full rundown on your new amp, they are tonaly like a 50 watt 4 holer, and have I mentioned that I love them!
    Cheers Mitch

16. Mitchell Pearrow

This is the only clip I have made of the pair of them so far
    (been fighting a case of the gout)
    For the past week, and have not been able to work or much else for that matter, it’s in my left leg, knee too foot and difficulty in getting around has been a real pain in the ass so to speak
    Cheers Mitch

MarshallDog, Thevenin and scozz like this.
  17. Msharky67

Msharky67 Well-Known Member

I am still having GAS for this. I think its the look of it. It looks so cool. I liked the amp but here is my concern. I felt like the amp needed an extra volume control. The tonal range was too left and too right. The mark of a good amp is a wide tonal pallet all the way through. It didn't take every pedal that well. Especially the TS-9. It sounded weak and no extra gain. It pushes my 800 a lot more. I agree with Mitch that the SD-1 does work great and sounded the best out of my pedals. I think the extra volume know would allow you to fine tune the tones but still have the output. Every demo I see of these everybody has the master volume past 6 and gain maxed out. It kind of sounds like its straining a little. If another volume was there it may keep it under control. It just is not the way you expect to use an amp. The attenuator worked OK but I think a PPIMV would work better for the volume and the tonal shaping. I may have to try another one again sometime. I am poor for a while and will have to save up. The SV20 I am sure is better in comparison but thats another volume issue too. That's why I went with the 800. I honestly think they are overpriced too. I think $399 is what they should be. I had a short test of it for the short time I had it. I am glad people are liking it though.

18. Graham G

Graham G Member

Hi,Msharkey.Thanks for the reply.
    I'm not sure about an additional volume control,my JVM has 2 Channels of Gain,Channel Volume & Master Volume,plus 3 modes of gain & voicing for each channel,but i'm tap dancing on the footswitch all night to find the "right" spot.
    One of the appeals for me with the OR20 is the way it just seems to dial in(from watching dems)sort of set it & forget it,a bit like the Amps I used back when I started playing,but with more gain on tap.
    I also think the price is about right for an overseas built Amp,a british built version would probably be 2.5x the price(such as the new Studio Models),so I reckon it's pretty fair.
    I'm really hoping I won't need to worry about pedals,i don't use them,so i'm hoping what's in the Amp is enough,we'll see.
    Having said that about pedals,i'm always reading all the Forums about these new gen Modelling Pedals,no Amps needed just turn up to a gig plug into the PA & away we go,they must be wonderous things.:D