new member - GT question

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by Pulsonic, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Pulsonic

Pulsonic New Member

hola all -

wanted to introduce myself on the Tech page. lurker for many yrs. - hope to keep learning.

anyone have experience on the old Groove Tubes EL34-R2 valve ? my set are inked w/ '6' on the bottom left label area, and like initials CBC or something on the right bottom label area.

so, was biasing my 55LV w/ Eurotubes (cheap model) bias thing - and dropped/broke one of the GT's. am pissed - cause:

* aren't these actually production =C= valves, just relabled ?
    * does anyone know a source for another '#6' inked replacement R2 valve ?
    * is the '6' just Aspen/Fender's matching code ?
    * does the Eurotubes cheapie probe require subtracting cathode measurement - confused on how that ET unit is actually constructed.

have a stash of old glass, but found this pair on my bench somehow (may have come out of a new '06 Orange OR50 i traded out years ago) and liked the tone a bit in my '82 JCM800 50-watt (head converted) 4104 (2204 now).

bummed out i let slip out of my hand. happened only once before with a Pinacle KT-66 clear glass many yrs. ago (f-ing pissed then) =\ - still haven't got over that. had several Pinnacles that were wonky/couldn't bias up.

would love to find a match for the lost valve.

enough for now - stay safe / P

2. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum Pulsonic dude. :cheers:

No
    Because groove tubes started selling tubes from China.
    All the Russian Groove tubes are reserved for Fender amplifiers now.

I think you will have a tough time finding a match for the broken tube sorry.

3. Geeze

Geeze Well-Known Member

Welcome to posting on the Forum!

I'd the usual NOS tube vendors - Doug's, KCA come to mind - ask them if they can 'match' your tube with something else as a last resort. I'd be wary of others until proven to be reputable in their measuring and marking.

BTW I use a pair of DMM's - don't have to pull tubes - but you do get to play Operation! inside the amp guts. My amp guy turned me on to this guy from D Lab when I had an emergency bias the night before a show.

Russ

4. Pulsonic

Pulsonic New Member

Thx guys - saw another d-lab video on something, hadn't seen this one gracias.

Wonder if Mesa carries the old hotter graded RFT EL34s anymore. will ask.

P