New Marshall “studio Amp”

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by pleximaster, Jan 24, 2019.

1. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Well-Known Member

I use my Origin 50 as a platform for my OD pedal.
    Its pretty clean without the pedal.
    I compared the Origin to my JTM45 with pedal and sold the 45.
    I'm hoping the SV will give me more amp sustain and distortion at band volumes.
    I'm probably still gonna use an OD pedal.
    For the last 10 years I owned many Marshall NMV amps and used an attenuator.
    But that's behind me now. OD pedal all the way.

2. Moony

Moony Well-Known Member

Those Blackstar amps are only the 10th anniversary models with a new finish.

And they are clearly hybrid design with solid state distortion from op amps (only one 12AX7/ECC83) and they are made in China - nothing wrong with that if it sounds good - but the Marshall Studio amps are made in UK and have at least 3 12AX7/ECC83 tubes in it.

I don't get all the fuss with "why only a 10" speaker in the combos mimimimi..." - the goal was to build a SMALL and PORTABLE combo with great sound.
    If you put a 12" speaker in such a small cab (even if it's open back) it simply won't sound good.

If anyone likes a 12" combo, then I would just leave the small combo chassis as it is and look for a custom built bigger cab and a 12" of your choice.
    You also could change the stock 10" speaker for something better, i.e. a WGS 10" Green Beret, ET-10 or Retro-10 - those are really nice speakers and I hope, the Marshall Studio cab has enough depth to fit them in.

Or just buy the head version and whatever cab you prefer.

Simple as that.

3. Delete!!

Delete!! Well-Known Member

Do you guys think the 10” combos would be loud enough to gig with? I mic my amps and use them as monitors, but they still have to be fairly loud to compete with all of the other instruments on the stage. I know 20 watts is enough, I have gigged with less (but with at least one 12” speaker). I am really interested in that JCM 800 combo. I would probably remove the 10” V-Type speaker and replace it with Celestions new 10” Creamback. I guess I could always buy the 12” ext cab too if the 10” wasn’t enough.

dptone5, tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  4. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I do smaller gigs with my Origin 20C, i have put in a 10" Greenback, i will say it works out well for me.

5. Angus Rhoads

Angus Rhoads Well-Known Member

A lot of us prefer the sound of a 12" speaker to a 10" speaker and don't really want the hassle of a separate head & cab. The 1x12 format is one of most popular for a reason. Being stuck with only a 1x10 combo choice is like wanting to buy a tried & true V-8 Corvette but having only a V-6 available.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    Adieu and tce63 like this.
  6. Angus Rhoads

Just watched all three of the new Studio series videos on the Marshall website - all three sound great but gotta say, I liked Steve's tone the best on the Jubilee video, especially the Lead channel with his LP Classic!

kinleyd, walshb, tce63 and 1 other person like this.
  7. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

I assume you meant, "being stuck with only a 1x10 combo"?

tce63 likes this.
  8. Angus Rhoads

Oops, yeah!

Anyway, for all my grumbling I already know I'm going to buy one...

tce63 likes this.
  9. johan.b

johan.b Well-Known Member

As I stated in an other thread. I thing Marshall knows what they do...A nmv 20 amp will be very loud through a 12inch and less so through a10 inch simply by moving less air. I think they choose the 10 to make it just right for the playing with a band..
    J

tce63 likes this.
  10. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Well-Known Member

You gotta be kidding me.....exactly what we have been clamoring for.
    I have a Blonde Bassman clone that will likely get sold to fund one of these 1959s.....

Michael Roe and tce63 like this.
  11. Len

Len Well-Known Member

Just got my SC20H this afternoon. Sounds great. Can't wait to open it up at band practice, or try through my Unleash.

12. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Congrats, Will have my SV20H at about Wensday :cheers:

Guitar Rod, EndGame00 and Len like this.
  13. walshb

walshb Active Member

They managed to fit a 12" Greenback into the Mini Jubilee combo. Is the SC combo smaller than the MJ combo? The Greenback in the Mini Jube absolutely smokes, I really wonder why they didn't stick with that. Cost cutting move? I don't know. From the videos I've seen, the 10" speaker sounds great, but you know how that goes. Until I hear it live in a band setting......?

14. LCW

LCW Active Member

chiliphil1 and tce63 like this.
  15. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

Use both attenuator and dirt pedal , best of both worlds .

tce63 and DesolationBlvd like this.
  16. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Premium Member

I'm not sure about the 10" speaker part. Seems like a 12" simply makes more sense from a commonality and air moving point of view, however, most people are posting that the 10" sounds great from the demos and a few people are commenring that a 12" might sound too boxy in that little cab. Might sound better, too.
    Personally I will wait to hear more demos and maybe hear one for myself before I comment on the speaker size. It may well be the ticket the way it is. Hard to judge when the demos sound good.

As much as the Classic head interests me, I wonder whether it will sound as good, either in 5 watt or 20 watt mode, than the 4010 with attenuator or Bad cat...

17. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

I don’t know how to post clips or videos. I know you do yours on your IPhone, and they sound good. Maybe you could tell me how if you have a chance Mitch,....keep in mind I’m very low-tech!! :D :lol:

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  18. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Premium Member

I upload any to Youtube then copy the link and place it here using the Insert Video icon in the menu.

19. MaskingApathy

MaskingApathy Active Member

I'm considering one of those (the EL34 version) as a home practice amp but all the demos I have seen so far of it don't sound anywhere near as good as the new Studio amps. But there's a big price difference so that's probably why.

Dogs of Doom likes this.
  20. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Yeah,....the Marshall Studio Classic, as well as the Vintage, sound much better to me than the Blackstar trio.