New Marshall “studio Amp”

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by pleximaster, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

AATTAA baby Scozz way to rock in the new year bright and proper! Cheers brother

tce63 and scozz like this.
  2. DesolationBlvd

DesolationBlvd Member

Spending a lot of time with the Vibro-Champ and Pathfinder, neither of which have master volumes, I'm getting familiar with power tube distortion. I'm now leaning towards the Studio Vintage over Classic.

Kim Lucky Day: Thanks for the picture of the Studio Vintage on the 1965A. It looks like a small box 1987 on a 1960A but shrunken. Looking up the 1965/1966 cabinet, it's roughly about the same width as the Mojotone Imperial cabinet I'm looking to buy and load my speakers into. I asked Mojotone for a picture of their 20-watt head cabinet (which seems to be the same width as the Studio heads) on their Imperial speaker cabinet about an hour or two before you posted your pic. However, the Imperial is slightly taller than the 1965A/1966A, so I'm still holding off until Mojotone gives me the pics.

Funnily enough, it looks like they may have started up production of the 2061x and 2061cx. Guitar Center seems to have more coming in. https://www.guitarcenter.com/Marshall/2061CX-2x12-Extension-Cabinet.gc

You already have your 2061cx, and I'm getting a cabinet made, but it might be of use to others interested in the Studio Vintage.

3. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Thanks Mitch!! And thanks for putting up with me and all my questions and concerns,....

......I appreciate it buddy! :cheers:

tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  4. SRD

SRD Active Member

I lurk around and have read stuff on here only posting or adding to topics every once and a great while.
    I've had a couple of DSLs, TSLs, a JMP, a few SLXs and various combos.
    Currently, I have a 2205, 2100, JMP-1 into and 8008, Lead 12, original Guv'Nor pedal, a couple of 1960s, 1912, an MS-4 for good measure
    I don't feel like I have any great ear to comment on stuff, I just like what I like, but after seeing the studio series this morning on a NAMM post, I had an online order to pick up at a local GC during lunch so I figured I'd ask when they may get some in and low and behold there were the vintage and classic sitting right there. Of course I had to plug in, and that is why I'm posting.
    First the vintage, great tone, high input was like glass in a good way, low channel nice and full, more than I expected honestly. Jumped the channels and it was good, for me, it took a little more volume than I hoped for to break up, but if that isn't a concern for you, then it's very cool.
    I moved over to the Classic, plugged in the high channel, damn, loved it almost instantly.
    I messed around with the knobs a little to almost not like it and for the most part, it was everything I hoped.
    Crap, now I gotta get back to work, I'm already late.
    To keep myself from rambling on any more, it's now in my basement cooling down from about an hour of use and I'm still real happy with it.
    I A-Bed it with my 2205 & 1960 wG12c speakers and honestly, I think I might like it a little better. The 2205 is has a little more gain of course, but I think the Classic is a little thicker sounding.
    Yes, $2000 is a little steep for essentially an open back 20w combo (I bought the head and matching cab) but I'm thinking the weight and space saving this thing will do gig wise is worth it to me.
    I read earlier that someone also picked up the classic and eventually will grab a vintage used down the road and that is my plan also.
    Marshall really nailed it with this new line in my opinion.

5. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

I agree,.....as a matter of fact if it wasn’t for all the problems with the Dsl20, both the head and combo, I think I would’ve bought one of those,....because I can be very impatient.

If those amps were problem free, I almost certainly would’ve bought one of those and not waited for NAMM.

tce63, Len and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  6. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Nice review @SRD,.... I see you’re in Lowell MA. My daughter and her family live in Tewksbury,....not too far from you. Pretty cold up there huh?

SRD likes this.
  7. SRD

SRD Active Member

Yeah, Tewksbury is about 15 minutes away from me.
    It's pretty messed up weather wise, early in the week sleety type snow, then it's 60 so the snow melts, and then I go out at lunch today and it 30ish degrees and I think to myself, eh, it's not to bad today :)

scozz and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  8. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

So how many of you guys that bought or are going to buy the SV have an Origin? Do you think you will like the SV better? Will you keep your Origin?

tce63 likes this.
  9. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

No problem brother :band::cheers::shred2: I can’t wait to hear your new amp, I am going to be very patient, and wait for your post on the next Marshall member of your stable! Cheers

scozz and tce63 like this.
  10. GibsonKramer

GibsonKramer Well-Known Member

JCM will be ordered tomorrow. Probably order the Jubilee as well, if I can get a good package price.

walshb and tce63 like this.
  11. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Member

I'd jump for joy if they made a 20w 70s JMP MV Studio. SJ20H!

tce63 likes this.
  12. Fender

Fender Active Member

Well it would not be anything else than the sc20h with a different headshell...
    SA20H with its blue headshell would be a killer addition though

13. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member

Good for Marshall. I didn’t think they had any commitment to do something like this. I’m happy for them and can’t wait to try them out.

JimiRules and tce63 like this.
  14. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Member

Different head shell and the SV20H's switches and light? SOLD!

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  15. Kl75

Kl75 Member

Just ordered the SV20H, estimated delivery date 6 February.

16. Slamacl

Slamacl New Member

Potentially a good time to pick up a used Marshall 100 or 50 watt head, with all the people selling them to fund one of these :)

17. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

For those of you that don't have the scratch for a Marshall Studio combo, Blackstar makes the same combo for a thousand dollars less called the Studio 10, not exactly the same but close enough. They come with a choice of EL34, 6L6, or KT88 power tubes, and it has a 12" Celestion. If brand name or brand loyalty is not important to you, there you have it.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    Dmann, Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  18. Kim Lucky Day

Kim Lucky Day Active Member

I have an Origin 20H. When I first got it, I was pretty happy with it. Then I started having problems with it that were eventually straightened out but lately it just hasn't been sounding the way it did before. Very harsh fizzy, and thin, no matter how I EQ'd it.

The SV20H was very much an impulse buy but man, it sounds like a million bucks to my partially deaf ears. Earlier in the other NAMM2019 thread everyone was speculating about what Big M would introduce or what they'd like to see. I had commented on how a 20W version of an amp similar to the Class 5 would be pretty awesome, with the idea that the C5 doesn't have a master volume but gets its crunch from power tube overdrive. This SV20H is just about exactly what I had in mind.

I won't be getting rid of the Origin just yet but if I find it sitting idle often, I will unload it.

tce63 likes this.
  19. walshb

walshb Active Member

I have a Mini Jube combo, but I left it at band practice yesterday, so I'm not sure when I'll be able to do a comparison, but I'll certainly try to get around to this, because I'm also curious! I love the Mini Jube, the clean channel is spectacular IMO.

20. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

something is wrong with your origin bro they are warm and fat:)