New Guitar Day! NGD!

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by BluesRocker, Sep 11, 2010.

1. BluesRocker

BluesRocker Well-Known Member

Hey guys. I finally got my Gretsch in. I love it. Plays like butter and the stock pickups sound pretty damn good too. Here she is.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. customwhite

customwhite Well-Known Member

A nice one. Is that the 5120 model?

3. BluesRocker

Yeah it is.. Made in Korea. Play it an you cant tell it was. It feels like a USA

4. MartyStrat54

MartyStrat54 Well-Known Member

Nice score Cody.

5. Marshall Mann

Marshall Mann Well-Known Member

Nice BR! Always wanted one of those my self!

6. BluesRocker

I love how it has the master volume knob.. I can set the individual volume knobs to taste then use the master to control the gain. Works wonders with the middle selector switch.

7. MartyStrat54

I thought that was a Bigsby tailpiece. Is it, or is it something like it?

8. BluesRocker

It says "Bigsby Licensed" on it. So I suppose it is like the Floyd Rose licensed then. Not the original?

9. BLS

BLS New Member

Congrats!

10. Hayride13

Hayride13 Member

I'm a Gretsch guy and have had a '59 6120, a '57 Silver Jet and a couple of Setzer Hot Rods. I gave up the vintage axes to make some coin off of them before they got thrashed too much as our stuff is pretty wild and physical. I recently sold my Hot Rod after our frontman took a chunk out of the headstock swinging the mic by the cord.

I now play 5120s exclusively. I get a deal on them for 5 c-notes and just take off all of my good parts and get another one when it gets too beat. Yes, they are made in Korea and the rest of their line is made in Japan. In order to get them to play even better than the current 6120s, I pin the bridge, change the plastic nut to bone, , change the bridge to a Tru-Arc, change the tuning gears to locking, and change the pickups to TV Jones. The only thing that the 5120s don't have that my Hot Rod had is the trestle bridging. I don't notice a difference in the sustain though.

I'm not too big on the clear pick guards so I painted the backside of mine with silver rattle can. Enjoy, they howl through a powerful amp and I love mine through my Marhsall!

11. BluesRocker

Hey Hayride, since you are a Gretsch man, tell me this. The plastic stuff under the bridge, do you take that off? if so does the bridge just sit there and you can move it around?

12. Hayride13

Hayride13 Member

I noticed the plastic in your pic and was wondering...

It looks like packing foam and I'd think they put it under the bridge for shipping. On archtops, the string pressure holds the bridge in place. Remove that plastic and your tone and sustain should improve heaps. The only thing is, the bridge position and angle is the basis for your intonation. The intonation can be fine tuned with the adjustable saddles of your bridge but the position has to be correct to get it dialed. Most feel that a set-up by a good luthier is suggested for any new guitar, even a brand new Gibson or USA Strat from the Custom Shop.

I play aggressively and tend to knock the bridge out of position sometimes. I therefore have a luthier pin my bridge. All of the Setzer models come from the factory pinned as well as the Tim Armstrong model. Some of the jazz guys use thin double-stickie tape under the bridge but they are going for warmth more than attack. Pinning will give the best sound. Once its pinned, it where it is though so try going without it pinned for a while. If you find that you are knocking the bridge out of place, you might need to pin it.

Have fun playing it!

13. MartyStrat54

Why would the prior owner(s) leave the plastic under the bridge? Let alone take the time to cut out a rectangular piece? I could see where this would affect tone.

14. BluesRocker

I think that they didnt cut that you Marty. I believe that is factory that was. Cause this was new.

15. Hayride13

Hayride13 Member

I'm thinking its a brand new axe Marty and possibly mail-order. They usually relieve most of the string tension for shipping, especially air freight. With lose strings, the wooden bridge base can move around in shipment and scratch things up.

16. StootMonster

StootMonster New Member

A Bigsby always pulls a guitar together nicely. I like them particularly on the older SG's.

17. custom53

custom53 Well-Known Member

Nice guitar but really I am posting shamelessly to show off my Soldano along with yours... Gotta love 'em...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  18. BluesRocker

Nice setup Custom!

19. nedcronin

nedcronin New Member

Congrats BR!

20. Theycallmesabz

Theycallmesabz Member

nassssssssty guitar man ive wanted that one for so long now