New Gear Day!

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by chiliphil1, Nov 9, 2017.

1. chiliphil1

chiliphil1 Well-Known Member

I downloaded the 2203zw and the white one. Is the white one the one you’re talking about?

2. PU239

PU239 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017 at 11:18 PM
  3. chiliphil1

4. SonVolt

SonVolt Well-Known Member VIP Member

So how does the Kemper compare to your Rectifier for the in the room tone/feel? Is it truly "close your eyes and you can't tell" like some claim?

5. Frodebro

Frodebro Well-Known Member

I made some direct profiles of my Mark V and Stiletto a while back for the sole purpose of an A/B comparison. Running through identical cabs, it was so close that I wouldn't have known which was which if someone else were switching between them randomly.

However, I have found that I really prefer the sound of studio/merged profiles through stereo FRFR monitors. It's not the same thing at all as sitting right in front of a speaker cab, but it's not a better/worse thing-it's just a different experience. I've been doing home recording for about thirty years, so I'm long since comfortable hearing myself in that environment. Some people never get used to it, which is fine.

6. Frodebro

Profiles aren't expensive. Give yourself enough time (if you actually hang on to the KPA long enough ;) ) and you'll accumulate a full library of every amp you have ever been even remotely interested in. You'll also discover that some amps that never even entered your thoughts before will possibly become some of your favorites.

That's the real beauty of the Kemper-once you get past the initial investment, profile bundles are cheaper than even a single Chinese clone dirt pedal and give you SO MUCH MORE for your small investment. And they don't take up any space at all in your house.

7. SonVolt

I've never been in a recording studio or used FRFR speakers so I'm trying to understand how that sounds/feels. Does it feel like you're hearing yourself play through a home stereo?

8. Frodebro

Pretty much, yes. That, or hearing a recording of a guitar, except you're playing it in real time. The "shortcoming" to it is that it's not an immediate, "in your face" experience, but in my opinion having everything in stereo with wide delays and reverbs gives it a spaciousness that way more than makes up for it. A stereo rig can make it sound like you're in the middle of a concert hall. It also makes low volume playing MUCH more enjoyable, as that spaciousness is still there.

SonVolt likes this.
  9. SonVolt

That's essentially what I've been doing but with real amps, using my Fractal for stereo effects routed into the loops of 2 different Mesa half-stacks. I just no longer have the room for 2 stacks, so the decision is switch to tube combos - OR - go the Kemper route.

What FRFR speakers are you using?

10. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

Nice , Merry Thanksgiving !
    When I see that Epiphone SG custom it reminds me of when I bought a Gibson SG on EBay. I bought a late 70's for $700 and a custom went off the same time for a $1000

11. Frodebro

QSC K10s. They have more than enough "oomph" to sound good at just about any volume level, and their carrying bags are about the size of a standard duffel bag (about 12"x12"x24"). Also very handy when jamming along to music, as the stereo loop returns on the KPA can also serve as stereo aux inputs (with a dedicated volume control). Killer practice rig.

12. John BNY

John BNY Well-Known Member

QSC speakers are awesome. I have the QSC K12s that I use as my main PA speakers.

Frodebro likes this.
  13. chiliphil1

I finally got to let it fly today. I've been restricted to bedroom or a little louder since I got it. Today I finally got to let it smack the speakers.. GAWD, it's even better now. The way it just came alive, it was like a completely different amp than the one I have been using. The Mesa profiles had the floor thumping just like a recto would, the marshall ones had the pictures on the wall buzzing.. It is without doubt just as good as a real amp, it feels like it, sounds like it, I can't say enough good stuff. This is really what I've been waiting on all along.

If you do it (DO IT) get the remote, it is just as trick as the profiler itself. It's a learning curve but I think I've finally got it now. I can make the thing do what I want and it sounds absolutely perfect. My expression pedal also came in the mail today, I didn't get much time with it but, how cool is this? It's a volume pedal, click the toe button and it's a wah, move it all the way back and it turns on the tuner! I can also make it a whammy, a phaser, flanger, pitch shifter, anything I want and that's just the expression pedal, not even figuring the remote and all that it will do.

There is so much in this thing but it's as simple as it can be for all that it does. Just read the manual and you'll love it.

SonVolt and Frodebro like this.
  14. Frodebro

Morphing is another feature that I'm just finally getting around to learning how to use, and it's freaking killer. You can change just about any parameter in the amp and effects, then "morph" between the two states using a pedal. For instance, morphing between a slightly crunchy amp with a slapback to a screaming lead tone with long delays (and everything in between) with a sweep of the pedal.

chiliphil1 likes this.
  15. John BNY

John BNY Well-Known Member

Chiliphil and Frodebro, once yo u guys master how to use the Kemper, you should think about putting out a video on "how to" use the kemper in very simple terms, and get Kemper to back you. I think a lot of people don't want to be bothered having to figure out how to use a high tech amp, when they're perfectly happy with their JTM, Mesa or whatever.

The reason I say this is, I'm perfectly happy with the gear I have, but I'm also intrigued by new stuff and technology. But, I don't want to exhaust my brain stamina and time trying to figure out the ins and outs of an amp that can produce any tone. If this amp can be marketed by explaining how easy it is to use, guys like me would jump on it.

16. S.A.T.O.

S.A.T.O. Well-Known Member

I dig that Epi three pickup SG - looks sharp!

chiliphil1 likes this.
  17. chiliphil1

There are actually a ton of videos out there already. The kemper site has a bunch of “how to” videos that are quite good. The only gripe there is that they’re all separate. You have to figure out what you’re trying to do and then find the corresponding video.

The only thing that is “complicated” with the profiler is figuring out which menu has which settings. Other than that it’s as simple as pressing the button that does what you’re wanting to do. Within the few days that I’ve had it I feel like I’m at least 80% into what it’s capable of. The other features I’m not really interested in.

The only thing I can’t figurw out at the moment is the whammy pedal. I can’t find it in the menu even though the book says it’s there. Also, on the line 6 helix there is a setting where you can put the whammy on one of the switches and it’ll drop 2 octaves while you’re holding the button and then return to normal when you release it. I don’t know if the kemper can do that or not but I’m trying to figure it out.

John BNY likes this.
  18. PU239

PU239 Well-Known Member

Its a piece of gear you have to develop a relationship with. I have had mine for about 4 years now and while I know it well I still discover clever ways to use it. While many profiles are awesome each still should be tweaked for your guitar.

Currently I run mine into a RME 802 in stereo with JBL monitors. The Marshall JMD1 is a perfect slave amp I use also when driving a stack. Kemper into FX return.

19. chiliphil1

Dude, your profiles are flat incredible. They are without doubt the best I’ve seen so far, everything about them is pretty well perfect.

PU239 likes this.
  20. PU239

PU239 Well-Known Member

I have been with the Kemper since I was first personally introduce to it by Jeff Loomis at NAMM 2013. When I started using it people laughed at me knowing what a hardcore Marshall guy I was. I knew even back then it was a total game changer and bought it.

Learned a lot from trial and error I but have the right gear to capture the DNA from any amp. Glad you like the profiles, many are from my personal collection (Astoria, Dream, and Surf).

Many of the profiles were made to go into my 100 watt slave head which Curt Granger (Granger Amplification) personally built for me. Try them into the FX return of your favorite tube amp. Turn cabinet simulation off. Hammer of the Gods.

The only thing the Kemper won't do is deliver that sweet crushing harmonic musical feedback of a cranked plexi, I mean it will feedback to some extent but its not natural because obviously the physics of harmonics inside power valves cannot be digitally matched. So to compensate for it I simple use a Digitech FreqOut in the Kempers loop. No Shit, the pedal makes the sweet harmonic feedback bleed even at the lowest volumes. I keep it in Latching mode so the harmonic feedback swells in at 3.47 seconds

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 10:21 PM
    chiliphil1 likes this.