New Dsl40cr Or New Evh 5150 Iii 50w?

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by justinrhoads80, Feb 10, 2018.

?

Which one is the better option?

1. Marshall Dsl40cr

23.8%
  2. EVH 5150 iii 50 watt head with 2x12 combo

76.2%
  1. saxon68

saxon68 Well-Known Member

OK I have clips of my DSL40C with stock speaker, and my EVH

DSL40C, all stock, no effects except the onboard reverb)

EVH 5150 (1x12, slight boost with the guvnor OD in my MS3, tuned down)

And for contrast, here is my Katana 50 combo which is another GREAT option especially for bedroom levels, and they're about 200 new, you can have 4 channels using the bank system they released with the last firmware update, and sneaky amps unlocks even more models, this would absolutely be my home only rig:

I think all 3 amps are great in their own way, all cut great in a band mix, but if I was doing home use only, the Katana would be it for me.

flyinguitars likes this.
  2. Crunchifyable

Crunchifyable Well-Known Member

I think in the latest versions (the ones labeled 6L6, EL34), they fixed this. Added a second concentric gain pot and a concentric volume pot to seperate "clean" and "crunch". By popular demand, as if.

I have a 6262 based on the 5150 II and it has that volume jump too...it really depends on how you have it set up. But I agree that due to that limitation, you have to kind of be a "crunch to lead" or a "clean to lead" kind of player, and not dance on all three in a live show, unless you work in the volume jump on crunch, which is less on higher gain settings and more on lower gain settings.

My "neat trick" is if you almost dime the gain for the "rhythm channel", the jump almost goes away. Since the clean is now "compressed" to the point of almost breaking up.

3. justinrhoads80

justinrhoads80 Well-Known Member

But can it do brutal metal? I am looking to do pantera and stuff...

4. Ghostman

Ghostman Well-Known Member

Every amp can do Brutal. You just need a BOSS Metal Zone.

justinrhoads80 likes this.
  5. justinrhoads80

6. Ghostman

[​IMG]

7. justinrhoads80

You actually believe any amp with a Boss metal zone will sound brutal?

8. Ghostman

It's for Metal right? Hence the "Metal" Zone name. :shrug:

9. saxon68

This is correct, all the 50 watt amps including the combos now have concentric knobs for ch 1 and 2 gain and volume.

As for brutal that's subjective. Pantera has had different sounds over the years, but hes been pretty much a SS player, not tube.

10. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

FEATURES
    The EVH 5150 III 50-Watt EL34 head comes in a “small box” configuration, which means the front and rear panels provide fewer control knobs than the 100-watt head. As a result, the 50-watt head retains the original three-channel design with independent volume and gain controls for each channel, but channels 1 and 2 share the same set of low, mid and high EQ controls and the volume and gain controls for channels 1 and 2 are configured as stacked concentric knobs. Also, instead of individual presence and resonance controls for each channel as found on the 100-watt head, all three channels share global presence and resonance controls. The only other significant features found on the 100-watt head that are missing on the 50-watt amp are the external bias adjustment and test points. However, the 50-watt head includes additional features not found on the 100-watt head: a ¼-inch headphone output and MIDI input jack

11. slide222

slide222 Well-Known Member

is that 3 stages of gain , classic gain , ultra gain , brutal gain

12. flyinguitars

flyinguitars Well-Known Member

They all sound good but i really like the first one (DSL40C)

saxon68 likes this.
  13. justinrhoads80

The DSL kills for classic rock, it has that sound right out of the box. For metal it kind of lacks a little. The EVH can handle the metalz real well out of the box. The boss is a great practice amp.

saxon68 likes this.
  14. saxon68

Correct. And lets not forget the blue channel on the 50 was so popular and even to Eddie, that they developed the 100 watt "stealth" head to have the blue channel voicing from the 50.

15. Crunchifyable

Crunchifyable Well-Known Member

There are a ton of amps out there besides the 5150 III and the DSL.

Is the 5150 III loads better and more versatile than the DSL? Absolutely, especially for modern metal.

But don't think that the 5150 III is the ultimate amp. It's not. It's like one of the best workhorse amps out there today. It will get you three different sounds in a set and forget kind of way, and will be kind of a "benchmark" for metal.

But as I see it, it's just a benchmark. Just the standard. Kind of like if you want to join a Judas Priest Cover band, you'd grab a JCM800...if you wanted to cover some really brutal new metal, you'd probably get a dusty Peavey 6505. When I want to play something really brutal, like Black Sabbath, maybe Pantera, something with obscene mids, I reach for my Bugera 333xl which comes from the Peavey JSX (XXX II) and has a lot thicker bottom end than the 5150 and better tone shaping abilities.

The 5150 is better for modern van halen, 7 string stuff (but in a very "standard sort of way.). And has more of a "crispy fizz" layer on the top end, which is great for Drop A music, ok for rock on the crunch side...but some people don't really like the lead channel in standard.

Basically what I'm trying to say is there are most interesting amps out there with more features.

The 5150 III, will do most sounds ok. Classic rock to down tuned metal, it does it. But thru a narrow window, so to speak. It has a "voice" of its own.

The DSL you have is basically stuck in 80s hair rock mode. Some day disagree with that assessment...but it can't really get brutal. The amps that are based on Peavey designs...they are brutal, plug in, pedals optional, watch the feedback fly.

So I think you will like it vs the DSL. But you should consider a lot of other amps aimed at "metal" that also do the classic rock / hard rock thing well. There are few who will do it better than the 5150 III, so it's really not a bad choice.

The 5150s are sorta cookie cutter, to use other words, because I think they became the "standard" amp of metal, especially that european nordic metal thing. But they absolutely RULE for 7 string guitars, B standard, etc.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  16. saxon68

yeah, there are a ton of options. And you'll notice, I sound like me playing on all of them, just some have a different voicing.

I am very seriously considering getting an AX8 and running it into a tube power amp and cab for stage, and run a line out to the FOH, that way I'd have TONS of amp choices and could ditch my pedalboard/controller system.

I'd love the AxeFX 3 but it's a bit pricey for me to justify, especially with having to pay extra for the floor controller, playing out live is my priority.

I also like the Kemper, but again, same issue.

Helix is an option, but what I have heard side by side, same player, same guitar, in person made me like the Ax8 better

Crunchifyable likes this.
  17. _ripper_

_ripper_ Active Member

I'll just throw this (well know fact, I'm sure) out there: Gary Holt used the DSL100H live with Slayer for a few years. Ok, he goosed the OD1 channel with a Maxon overdrive but still.

I have the DSL100H, it can cover a fair bit of ground, especially if you add an OD pedal. I agree that brutal modern metal is not its thing, the distortion isnt tight enough. But thrash it can do, IMO.

18. saxon68

I seriously thought about getting the 100H also, but saw so many guys here raving about the EVH that I had to see what was up. Never looked back after the first time I plugged in.

19. justinrhoads80

I agree! The 5150 is not the amp that can do it all, but can do it for me right now. I agree that there are A LOT of different amp heads that are a lot better like the peavey you said. I plan once i have my own place to have a bunch of amp heads and a 4x12. I will have different amps including Marshall since I still love Marshall, but my taste in music has changed over the years and so have my tone requirements so that amp isn't doing it for me no more

saxon68 likes this.
  20. Ghostman

6505+

Another amp to consider for high gain metal.

...and a Metal Zone. It's in the name.

justinrhoads80 likes this.