New Amp Day - I “got” A Kemper!

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by Deep Purple fan, Dec 25, 2018.

1. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member

Hey Jethro - I will go through your questions.

I sold the Code 50 Combo because its redundant now. The Kemper is a much better piece of kit. I still have the Code 100 head but that’s going too. I really liked the Code for what it was - a cheap reliable fun little amp. But, I figured out the headphones issue and Kemper is better all around.

The profiles are merely a snap,shot of the amp. You can shape the sound but it’s not the same as having “the amp.” You’re right, there are tons of profiles out there so no worries. I did profile my Astoria and Carvin extensively. I have the snap shot, multiple actually, of every way I could play them. In fact, I now have more tones compared to how I actually used them. I had 2-3 tones I went to when I played the actual amp. Now, I profiled many more and some came out really good. I certainly got profiles of the typical tones I dialed in. I don’t think I will miss them. I sold the Astoria only because it brought back a great return and I wanted something to go to fund the Kemper.

I agree. Don’t sell your core group of amps. I a/b the profiled tones I did through my PA and my Friedman FRFR cab and the real amp through it’s matched cab sounds better than the profile through the equipment mentioned. I will say the profiled tone are very similiar and really captures the sound. I will also say in a mix it’s even closer. You may not notice the difference in a mix. I can hear the difference when going at it solo. Again, the profiles are close and I attribute the difference to the gear more so than the profile. Just remember, you can tweak the tones and in a mix I don’t think you can complain. You may actually create a new better tone due to the vast library of effects in the Kemper. I now have an Astoria based tone that I like better than the amp — it is possible to out do the original.

Profiling is easy. The first profiles I did sucked but by the third time I was getting there. I made some very good clean profiles of both amps. My initial issue was the dirty profiles. I am satisfied now. The process is easy. There are some deep editing you can do that is simple. Profiling is easy and great. I’m going to profile all my amps. The footswitch is excellent so it’s really easy to manage your sound in performance mode. Performance mode is excellent. You can build sounds for each song in your set or as I’m doing it now, by amp type of basic tone type. There are some great videos on YouTube that will help you. I’m still a novice but I am satisfied with some, not all, but some of my profiles.

The cab will color your sound but don’t worry about it. Like I said, even the FRFR cab is not an exact match to the original. In short, everything will impact the overall tone. I do like the FRFR cab better than the sound direct into the PA. It’s a marginal improvement. I can tell the tone is essentially the same either way. The FRFR cab has what folks call the amp in the room tone versus a mic’d sound. Both ways work. I got the Friedman FRFR used yesterday for $450 which was ok. If I paid $900 new I might not really see the value. Bottom line, I think you can make a cab work just fine.

Good luck.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    Jethro Rocker likes this.
  2. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member

Thank you kind sir that sounds excellent. I look forward to joining the club!!
    I was joking about the Code - pretty obvious it's not gonna touch a Kemper!!
    Cheers man!

Deep Purple fan likes this.
  3. Solid State

Solid State Well-Known Member

Hey Deep Purple Fan,

Have you plugged up pedals into the profiles? I've heard pedals work pretty well going into a Kemper

4. Deep Purple fan

I only tried a Maxon OD 808 in front. No issues. It was a short test but it met expectations.

I’m using the on board effects......some I like some I Don’t. Overall though, it’s a great library of effects.

5. JacksonCharvelAddict

JacksonCharvelAddict Well-Known Member

I would advise everyone to be careful on the Kemper forum. I got suspended for a joke. There was a thread titled " can kemper fool chappers?". I replied not that it matters since the tranny down the street has fooled chappers as much as the kemper has.

6. Frodebro

Frodebro Well-Known Member

Yeah, they don’t mess around over there.

7. Deep Purple fan

Depending on whether or not Chappers is a ‘swordsman’ or not.... and the jury is out....that could have been a compliment.

JacksonCharvelAddict likes this.
  8. rick16v

rick16v Well-Known Member

Lol does swordsman mean gay? Pretty sure he's married with a kid.

JacksonCharvelAddict likes this.
  9. Deep Purple fan

Swordsman as if he is lucky with the ladies. Most guitar players are.....as you surely know.

JacksonCharvelAddict and rick16v like this.
  10. rick16v

So when I tell chicks i spend hours dialling in amps and pedals, replacing pups, tubes and speakers, soldering patch bays.... I'm pretty sure it's not getting them wet

11. Frodebro

Frodebro Well-Known Member

Nope, but if you pick up an acoustic and sing “Baby, I’m A Want You” you’re in for a very good evening...

12. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

I have a few very sweet sounding short tunes that i used to play for the babes on my double neck and yup it worked a boatload of times.

13. Deep Purple fan

You’ve got to play a tune for them, or if she likes your band.....talking about pickups and Celestions never came to mind.

JacksonCharvelAddict and anitoli like this.
  14. rick16v

I was just goofing around. I play a mean Wonderwall.

15. 67Mopar

67Mopar Well-Known Member

Try out my Cornford RK100 profiles. I uploaded two profiles to the Rig Exchange.

16. Deep Purple fan

Will do. Thanks!

rick16v likes this.
  17. Dmann

Dmann Well-Known Member

I went to the North L&M here in Calgary on Saturday, and they have a non powered Kemper setup into a line6 FRFR wedge.

So there's this prob 35-40 year old fat bastard looks like hes just angry about breathing.... playing Dimebag Darrell (Pantera) riffs non stop on it while glaring at everyone the whole time I was there lol. Pretty much every customer was shaking thier head as it's just setup on the floor, not in an amp room and gets old real fast....

It sounded ok. The guy had his chops down, but couldn't and didnt play a single lead riff.... then he went into some djent 7 string garbage noise.... I'm not sure if it was the line6 or the Kemper but the tone was pretty bland and mushy. The guy seemed to know how to navigate as he was tweaking and whatnot....

But,

If I was considering a Kemper and then had to endure that.... I would definitely not be buying one lol....

Sorry just had to share

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  18. proxy

proxy Active Member

That is pretty bad.
    Tony McKenzie was banned from Fractal forum just for asking where your product is made.... so there you go .....

19. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

Well if these guys running these forums are that sensitive to criticism of their favorite gear then that says allot. If a Kemper is that good why should one even worry if someone else doesn't like it? I could give two shits what anyone thinks of a 6100, if you heard mine you would know why.

Jethro Rocker and proxy like this.
  20. proxy

proxy Active Member

Exactly....

And what is more interesting people that owe those devices they easy become fanatics of it.
    Do they ever ask questions just like you did?
    It is all questionable.
    And inevitably those devices becomes obsolete.
    You will have to keep buying new "better" versions of it.
    All of these digital devices are trying to become analog.....Mixing apples and oranges does not work ...
    But I wish them nothing but the best ....