New Amp Day - I “got” A Kemper!

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by Deep Purple fan, Dec 25, 2018.

1. wakjob

wakjob Well-Known Member

:lol:...my legs fell asleep...pins and needles!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member

You should have no trouble finding base tones to edit to get your tone. Having said that, it’s not like tweaking a valve amp or even a Modular. Your not going to get the tonal range from say a 1969 Marshall patch that you will get from the actual amp. Nevertheless, you can shape your sound. The amp has the typical gain, bass, mid, treble, presence, volume and master volume controls. You can also turn on and off effects and the library is extensive and process while playing is seamless. You can also do what Kemper calls deep edits. I’ve not done that. There are so many great profiles, if a patch doesn’t scratch the itch at this stage I’d just find another.

I was very late to the kemper party. I totally get the reluctance to go profiler. I regret not moving sooner. I look at Kemper as a useful and effective tool. The “art” is in the music and to me the instrument.

I will say after an hour my jaw dropped.

3. Deep Purple fan

I think there is a forum but I’ve not looked.

Appearance wise it’s definitely a toaster. There is some guy who builds a custom head box but I’m going to pass

4. proxy

proxy Active Member

Congratulations on your new gear.
    :photos:

Deep Purple fan likes this.
  5. Solid State

Solid State Well-Known Member

Kemper is an amp and part of the amp industry. I want a profiler so I can get profiles of amps like YJM100, 2203ZW, and Sunn Beta Leads. Are any of those amps still in production? No. They have zero effect on the Amp industry and the only people that are hurt by my wanting to get vintage and unique profiles are those amp snobs, audiophiles, and collectors who expected they'd sucker someone like me into paying more for a used amp than what that amp cost when it was new and in production.

MonstersOfTheMidway and rick16v like this.
  6. Australian

Australian Green Beret VIP Member

Nip ups are a good remedy for that.

7. Dmann

Dmann Well-Known Member

Gratz!

I wouldn't sell off your other gear yet. I did that when I got the Axe-FX II and well... basically bought it all back...

Thing is, modeling, profiling, etc, is fantastic, but if you are a tone chaser, Like I, and most of us are on here, you will never be "done" and even if you own all the profiles ever made or all the IR's ever made, you still will always be looking for a change in flavor or taste from time to time that nothing except a one off unique amp+cab+pickups in a certain room that will cure it in my experience.

A good holdover for me is to make sure I get out the stores and try out amps, tube, solid state, and digital regularly. This includes all sizes of wattage and cabs/speaker loads.

Rent stuff once in a while and drive out to the country with a portable generator and play it full balls to get it out of your system occasionally! Never stop checking out gear!

enjoy the honeymoon!

8. Deep Purple fan

Good advice.

I’d never sell all my gear. I specifically like the 3 Engl amps a lot and the Friedman’s plus the JVM410HJS. I’m probably going to profile the hell out of the Dirty Shirley and sell it but the others I will keep. Those amps were the only amps I really used anyway.

This week I put up for sale or already sold the Astoria, Carvin X100B, Marshall Code, Carvin V3, a Carvin 4x12 and my 1936 cab with G12-65s. I’ve been profiling the Astoria in every configuration. Same with the Carvin X100.

I’ve realized that amps are more or less tools. I was hung up on them for a very long time wanting to try every model I could get my hands on. I came to the conclusion that every thing that could possibly be done to the legacy tube amps has been done. Anything new in the valve amp world will simply be a reinvention of something already out there. That’s why I love the kemper. It’s a great tool and fits in nicely with my core group of amps that I love. Now, I’m much more into guitars and finding the special one. Once I’m done with the amp, cab....and speaker purge I’m taking a break.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  9. Deep Purple fan

I did find a wort with the kemper. Im Not happy with the sound quality coming through the headphones. I researched this and it’s a common complaint. Sound is harsh through the headphones. Not usable in my book.

I’m using Bose noise canceling. Maybe I should be using studio headsets. Any thoughts on this?

10. rick16v

rick16v Well-Known Member

You turned on/up the "space"?

11. Trelwheen

Trelwheen Well-Known Member

Great score....thanks for the GAS

12. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Lol. I'm pretty sure you'll get there Trelly and I can't wait for the results!!
    BP

Trelwheen likes this.
  13. Trelwheen

Trelwheen Well-Known Member

:lol:

14. Australian

It sounds fantastic through headphones.

Its a good idea to join the Kemper Forum. There are some ‘behind the scenes’ tweaks in the Kemper that can make things sound perfect for you.

15. Deep Purple fan

I’ve been learning non stop since I got it. I am now doing deep edits on my own profiles. Not Michael Britt but getting better every time.

I’m sure you’re right. It’s a brilliant piece of kit.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  16. Durden

Durden Well-Known Member

Just look up the line6 forum, kempers sister site :rofl:

17. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

:funny: Cheers Mitch

Durden and tce63 like this.
  18. Deep Purple fan

I sold off a Marshall Astoria, Carvin X100B, Marshall Code, Carvin 4x12 and two Creamback speakers this week. The Kemper was the catalyst in the sell off. I profiled the hell out the Astoria and Carvin. I then came a across a Friedman FRFR ASC-12 powered cab on Craigslist. Price was right so I took it. I will update the review and could only fool around with it for a little today. More to follow. Initial take is very positive on the FRFR.

19. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member

You didn't keep the Code?? :lol:

Excellent. Looks like I'll have to do it soon too. Just finding the time to play with it. I didn't realize the controls had less effect than the original amps. I guess there are plenty of profiles to pick from. I don't want to sell off my amps, I just think a Kemper would be fun and useful.

You profiled your own amps as well? Is it sort of an automated process?? I've been through the manual a couple times but it's been a bit. I'd likely profile my TSL. I think for practice and some venues it will be easy to haul out with footswitch and a cab. I realize the cab will affect the coloring of the cab sims. I don't care if the cabs sound exactly like the originals, I have little experience with many cabs, as long as it sounds good to me.

I'll run over to the dealer at some point and get one home.
    Cheers, thanks for the review.

Deep Purple fan likes this.
  20. Australian

Yeah theres a lot to learn. I need to get up to speed myself now that things have gotten less hectic for the holiday season.

I dont visit the Kemper Forum as much as I should, but I remember a good thread about headphone sound v’s output sound v’s spdif etc. And how to get the best result. It was a few years ago, so you might be able to search it.