New Amp Day - I “got” A Kemper!

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by Deep Purple fan, Dec 25, 2018.

1. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member

I received my Kemper last Wednsday. I bought a new one from Musicians Friend, unpowered Head in black with the footswitch/controller.

I’ve played it a bunch, read the manuals and watched the tutorials. I loaded the software on my computer, sync’d with the head, bought some profiles and set up the foot switch.

I have the Kemper going straight into my powered mixer. It’s a pro-grade set up as the mixer is high powered and the speakers pro quality. I’m not using any other effects but what I can pull out of the kemper. I will post some pics later.

Bottom line: All the things other people have said about this being revolutionary change is correct. The factory loaded profiles and the additional profiles I ordered are outstanding. You literally have professionals dialing in your tone from just about every iconic amp, cab and pedal out there. I’ve got some great, truly amazing amps, and my jaw dropped after playing the kemper. There are little to no compromises and most people, me included, are challenged to dial in such perfection.

The good: I could rave about this all day. First off, the amp arrived updated with the latest firmware upgrade. Yeah! I went through every factory preset...over 200 of them. There were dozens I loved. All the iconic Marshall, Fender, and Vox profiles are there. Beyond that, Dumble, Soldano, Engl, Mesa, Bogner, Diezal, Carvin.... even Egnator are there. Setting up and tweaking rigs is intuitive and easy. The footswitch is feature rich and you can configure it with five patches per song or as I do it by tonal family....British, American , etc. Best of all, the variety of tones and quality are pro quality. It’s an amazing tool.

To me the footswitch was expensive. I was on the fence. No more - the footswitch is a must. It’s very easy to connect and set up. You can control effects, the looper, patch selection, and tuner. In performance mode you can set up to five patches per song. It’s amazing because of the versatility of the amp. That’s a great feature for a working and gigging musician. I advise you to bite the bullet and get the footswitch. Considering how well it works, how intuitive it is, I now think it’s well worth the money.

I’m glad I bought the unpowered Head. I was going to buy a powered head and a FRFR cab. I decided since my live sound rig is so good I’d use that. I did try it briefly through my Friedman BE loop into the Friedman 4x12 cab. It sounded great but it colored the tone.

The Bad: None. I thought it was pricey before the purchase but now that I have it I can see how it actually saves money and time. It’s well worth the cash. I did read comments about the “amp in the room” sound being absent. I’m not noticing that but again I have superb live sound set up. The one thing I will say is you have to read the manual and watch the online tutorials. Going at it cold turkey will fuck you up. But after reading the manuals and watching a few tutorials it all came together quickly. Invest the 1 hour.

Road ahead: Kemper is a game changer. Pro grade tones, by the Titanic boatload are now at your finger tips. The tweaking is minor. It will save the typical guy hours. It’s light weight, easy to use, and tones to die for. All the messing around with cabs, speakers pedals, and even tube heads is now a thing of the past. I’ve decided I’m going to sell off most of my amps and focus on guitars. Staying for sure are my 3 Engl’s — other than that I will be moving most of my kit next year.

I will post some pics tonight.

5 Stars!

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
  2. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Good on ya DP. That's a great write up too.
    If there's a possibility of audio clips that would be fantastic.
    BP

3. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

I second that BP ! DPF congratulations on a very nice piece of gear, I shall wait for clips of this wonderful tones you speak of! Cheers Mitch

Deep Purple fan likes this.
  4. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

Yep it's definitely the way forward , every cool amp you can think of in one box . Some say they're too expensive but look at what you get for you money . Glad you are very pleased with your purchase Deep Purple fan .

5. Solid State

Solid State Well-Known Member

I still can't believe how cool some of it is. I have heard 2203ZW profiles, YJM100 profiles, and Sunn profiles that absolutely match the sound in my head.

I've never been unhappy with my tone as a player but the accessibility to some bad ass amp profiles just makes me wonder what else is possible with so much variety.

6. Bloodrock

Bloodrock Well-Known Member

What will you profile when all good amp makers quit making amps? Soldano is already out cuz of this garbage. Digital already killed the music industry for the most part. Might as well kill the amp industry too.

67Mopar, mAx___ and MarshallDog like this.
  7. Deep Purple fan

The amp industry is changing not dieing. Tube amps for rock have been around for 60 years..... plenty to profile. I will never get rid of all my valve amps but I am unlikely to ever buy one any time soon.

There are few if any compromises with the kemper. For the price of a new 2203X you can get a kemper that has presets of 800s a 2203X will likely never achieve with the typical user. These guys who are professionally profiling amps are masters of their art.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  8. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member

Congrats on the new amp and nice right up.

I just wish they would have made this Kemper amp more physically looking beautiful and not so dam fugly...more beautiful matching its sound...Phuck...it looks like something RTD2 shit out his ass...just saying and that’s my opinion!

Is there a Kemper Forum?

9. mAx___

mAx___ Active Member

Does it have profiles for old cabinets/speakers?

10. justinrhoads80

justinrhoads80 Well-Known Member

Glad to read your review so to say about the kemper. I am saving up for a powered head with the footswitch. I am so glad hearing from yet another person how much they love the Kemper and all the good it brings.

I am also interested in the transpose effect on the amp. Basically a pitch shifter.

I plan on buying the kemper with the switch used for around $1.8k-2.1k but in good condition. After that i plan on getting a EVH 2x12 through sweetwater on their financing plan since i can pay off the little payments each month and add more to the payment if i want to pay it off faster. After that if i want a half stack i will probably get a 2x12 mesa cab and stack it on top of the evh and get a blend of the greenbacks and v30s.

Have a merry christmas dp!

11. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Hi dude
    Thats great. Randy was a brilliant player, taken too soon

12. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

Its the way it's going to go like it or not , progress is unstoppable it's the way of man . Most of us will have their favourite valve amps forever but it will ultimately be alongside the new stuff for practically as much as anything else . I think this will be the case for youngsters aswell as they progress . All is not lost , yet .

13. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

Congrats DP.

Play in good health.

Be well.

:woot:

14. Deep Purple fan

Love your purple covers......you got the Blackmore groove down. Fantastic.

You can deep edit the rig by changing cabs and speakers. I have not tried that.

Mitchell Pearrow and mAx___ like this.
  15. Deep Purple fan

Spot on.

The profiles are near exact copies of actual amps. When I say near exact I mean virtually the same. The nice thing is if you have a 69 Marshall lust one day....we’ll there it is. What about Soldano SLO 10P....there too. Fender Bassman...... you get the point. All set up by a pro sound guy. I really never liked the digital modular. Granted, I have not really played in the area. But with the kemper, I’m really liking how easy it is and of course the many pro made profiles.

What I’ve seen in guitar amps....the new stuff...is nothing more than reinterpretations of what was made before.

Jethro Rocker and BanditPanda like this.
  16. Deep Purple fan

Thanks!

My advise is too really think it through. That is powered v unpowered and guitar cab versus FRFR. I went hybrid by going straight into a very good PA.

I WAS TORN as there was no easy way to try it out. Then one day I sad, I wonder what my code 100 sounds like through my mixer into the PA system. It was a massive improvement from going straight into a cab and many of the patches are actually very good. It was a different amp. Thus I decided to do what I did and adjust fire if it flopped. My results were great.

I hear great reviews about the powered head through a guitar cab. Good luck but really study the issues.

Jethro Rocker and justinrhoads80 like this.
  17. Australian

Australian Green Beret VIP Member

Did you sit there for 6 hours running and play it like there was no tomorrow?
    Thats what I did.

Mitchell Pearrow and wakjob like this.
  18. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

This kinda gets to the point regarding the concern I had in your other thread … what if you want to tweak/edit those profiles/presets? In other words, what if you want to dial in your own tone? Can you, for example, find a profile that's close to what you'd dial in yourself, and then fine tune/tweak it to your liking? It's my understanding that there's very limited tone shaping with the Kemper … in other words, the profiles/presets are what they are, and 'dialing in your tone' means either profiling your own amps with your own settings or hoping someone else has done so.

MonstersOfTheMidway likes this.
  19. StratoMarshall

StratoMarshall Well-Known Member

Congrats on a first rate piece of gear!

20. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member

I doubt it. Just like records being replaced and now they are bringing them back becuase no digital contraption can reproduce the sound as well as a record can...

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.