New Addition To The Family...

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by thunderstruck507, Jun 19, 2017.

1. thunderstruck507

thunderstruck507 Well-Known Member

Went to see Metallica in Dallas Friday night and Sat we swung by GC in Arlington before heading home. Got to check out some cool stuff and a lot of really nice guitars. Went by the "used" wall and saw a red Schecter Hellraiser that looked a bit rough...then I saw the price tag of $249.

Picked it up and looked closer to see most of the cosmetic issues were actually minor and the action felt fantastic so I plugged it into a Friedman half stack and let her rip for a minute. Found it to be a 2008 model with the coil tapped EMGs instead of the standard 81/85 combo.

Needless to say I carried it around until it was time to go. Got it home and gave it a good buffing with some Meguires Ultimate automotive compound, oiled the crap out of the VERY dry fretboard with lemon oil, and replaced the rusty pickup surround screws with some new ones I had.

I had been watching Craigslist pretty close for a deal on a "super strat" and my roommate has one of these in white which I liked. Needless to say I'm more than pleased with such a great playing and sounding guitar for the money.

Still needs some TLC on the bridge and tuning knobs. The volume/tone knobs are rusted too so I need to replace them. Also someone switched the volume pots around. It's covered in small dings and dents...really looks like it could have been someone's gigging workhorse.

Here it is after some cleanup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Kiko

Kiko Active Member

Nice score!

3. ricksconnected

ricksconnected Well-Known Member

worth the coin for sure.

4. Cthulhu

Cthulhu Well-Known Member

Great deal.

5. thunderstruck507

thunderstruck507 Well-Known Member

It's really cool to hear and feel the differences between the same make/model from a different year. My roommates is a 2015 model.

Differences we've noted:

his has locking tuners branded Schecter, mine has Grover non-locking
    his weighs a noticeable bit more
    his has a very different tone, his has a Metallica sounding bark/growl to chords, mine sounds more typical generic EMG guitar
    mine has a slightly different feeling neck...more C shaped near the nut than his, feels very much like my Elite SG
    mine has a slightly different kind of frets, they remind me 90s Gibson frets which are a little flatter/less rounded and ever so slightly wider

6. Ghostman

Ghostman Well-Known Member

I have one Schecter, and it's my cheapest guitar, purchase price at least. But it's my favorite to play. Their gear is so damn nice looking, with the edge banding, and abalone inlays, at not that premium of a price either.

Nice score!

thunderstruck507 likes this.
  7. harleytech

harleytech Well-Known Member

I have a Schecter too.. Love them...
    Nice axe !

8. Treynor

Treynor Member

HNGD on a sweet axe and deal!