New 1960A revelation!

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Adrian R, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Adrian R

Adrian R Well-Known Member

So this is kinda cool. Sold the Jube as I needed funds to feed other hobbies, and then purchased this. A Mint used 2010 1960A cab. As usual with the standard 1960s, I typically fabricate a new back panel out of Baltic Birch to improve the sound replacing the typically stock MDF back panel. I really liked the way this cab sounded at the store, hence buying it, but then today out of curiosity I decided to investigate. As you can see by removing the jack plate one can plainly see that it came from Marshall stock with a Birch ply back panel! Bing! Weird, I had bought earlier a 1960 'Vintage' cab earlier from GC (had it shipped from another store) that sounded horrible and stunk from cigs really bad. It had particle board back panel. I returned it immediately. One would think the 'Vintage' cabs would have been made to vintage spec hence the all Baltic Birch construction like from back in the 1970s..but nope. I now think Marshall does production runs with whatever materials are available.

MK2 Steve if you are out there reading this you've been vindicated! lol You were totally right man.
    newcab.jpg birchback.jpg

2. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

Maybe Marshall changes it depending on the current price of shipping?

3. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

From about 1971 up to about 2010 Marshall 4x12s had the PB back plates. I think it was originally done to reduce cab resonation. They changed back to ply back plates more recently because it was good marketing.

Adrian R and Seanxk like this.
  4. Kutt

Kutt Well-Known Member

...for $1,099 USD street price, they fuckin' better have ply. They should also include a rub n' tug, bottle of champagne, and foot massage for that price.

5. Kostas

Kostas Member

Ply back is good but I'm guessing still plastic handles.

Micky likes this.
  6. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

I just got myself a 1960B cabinet (JCM800 era) to match up to my 1960A. I found that some IDIOT had screwed the back panel of the 1960B cabinet to the handle post. That kills the bass resonance. Why people think that back is supposed to be screwed to the post is beyond my comprehension.

Scumback sells close reproductions of the metal six screw handle design. I'll be getting them for my cabs.

Both my cabs will be stripped, back-dated to JMP era cosmetics, and recovered in purple levant tolex with gold trimmings. They'll be matched up to my 1973 superlead.

I do need to confirm the correct size Marshall logo for the type. Shouldn't both cabinets have small logos if I'm going for an early 70s cosmetic?

7. thunderstruck507

thunderstruck507 Well-Known Member

Are you referring to the post that runs from the back to the front baffle?

8. Matthews Guitars

Yes. It's my understanding that this should not normally be screwed to the back baffle. That post is a handle for the baffle, not a cabinet brace.

Screwing it tightly to the back panel will kill the deepest bass resonance node in the cabinet.

Am I wrong?

9. GIBSON67

GIBSON67 Well-Known Member

^^I don't see how a screw would change anything...it the post is too short, maybe it would help the back panel from vibrating.

But most posts are too long and so there is a little bowing of the back panel and are very snug already. No screw needed.

A handle for the baffle?? I've never heard that one before. My 425A post was so loose, I could have pulled it off, very easily.

10. Michael Roe

I think you are wrong. Every Marshall 4x12 cab I've owned along with my current 2x12 cabs all have that screw. My Bogner 4x12 does not but it definitely bows to allow that to make a strong contact.

tce63 and Neil Skene like this.
  11. Matthews Guitars

The baffle post is not supposed to be loose, and it serves as a very convenient handle when installing or removing the baffle.

I've been told for years by the local amp tech/guru who's also one of my best friends that the back board is not supposed to be screwed to the center post,
    and if it is, it'll greatly weaken the bass response. That does make sense. I'm not saying it's impossible that a guy who's been working on and playing Marshalls for 45 years could be wrong about this. But I've trusted his opinion on this as fact.

12. GIBSON67

GIBSON67 Well-Known Member

Marshall cabs don't need that screw and I'll venture to say that it will sound exactly the same with or without.

ricksdisconnected likes this.
  13. Seanxk

Seanxk Member

I think most new cabs have the screw, perhaps they can afford the extra cost these days.

14. Michael Roe

Yeah, the old guy is pulling your leg, dude!
    "Handle" that is funny. Sounds like something I would say to my nephews who play guitar.
    Ask yourself something: How many times do you think you would need to move that baffle board and why you would need a "handle" to do so.
    You think maybe the baffle board doesn't have speakers attached when installing it? Maybe you could use the BIG 4 circular holes as "handles".

It is quite obvious what that "brace" is there to do. That screw serves a purpose as well. I believe older Marshall cabs did not have them. They started adding them for a reason.

Adieu, Neil Skene and Lance Chambers like this.
  15. Matthews Guitars

I'm going to have words with him about this! You'd think that after 35 years of friendship you could trust a guy!
    :nono::pissed:

16. Matthews Guitars

Anyway, can anyone confirm for me the proper logo size for a late 60s/early 70s 1960 cabinet? I'm buying the parts to refurbish and backdate both cabinets to that era and I don't want to end up buying parts that won't be used.

17. mk2 steve

mk2 steve Well-Known Member

:cheers: Yup, that’s been my experience. Doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason. I think they just use whatever they have that day. The “Vintage” AV / BV cabs are identical to the A/B, just different speakers (Marshall branded Vintage 30s). And it seems to be luck of the draw if you get ply or particle board backs.

Adrian R likes this.
  18. Adrian R

Adrian R Well-Known Member

I use to two diff
    Use to have an 86' and 05' 1960. Both had MDF back panels. I made BB ply back panels for both. The 05' sounded better then the 86' with the same speakers. I noticed too that the 86' had smaller gauge wire. Replaced wire with heavier gauge. Still have the 05'. The 10' I just got I like even more. Better build quality.

Kinkless Tetrode likes this.
  19. Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers Well-Known Member

Both of my 2004 era 1960 cabs have particle board back plates.

20. Matthews Guitars

I'm at this moment recovering both my JCM800 era 1960A and B cabinets. Those particle board backs are surprisingly dense and heavy.

I don't like particle board and will be replacing them with Baltic birch backs before this project is done. Maybe I should just sell the original backs to someone who wants them? They're in fair to good shape, with some rips and tears in the tolex, but otherwise OK.