Need SV112c vrs MX112R vrs SV212c suggestions.

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Peter Pav, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Peter Pav

Peter Pav New Member

I was going to buy an SV20combo, then I heard a YouTube demo of the SV20head with the SV212cab compared to the SV20combo, the combo sounded very boxy. I'm thinking of going with the SV20h and a 1x12 cab. Why is the MX112R cab only $229.00 and the SV112c is $599.00 is the speaker and build that much better ? Does anyone here use the head thru a 1x12 ? I don't want to lug a 2x12 cab around.

tce63 likes this.
  2. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

plywood vs particle board...

Different speaker also.

MX has Seventy80 speaker, which is a cheap Celestion.
    SC/V has V-type 70 watt Celestion

tce63 likes this.
  3. SteelLucky

SteelLucky Active Member

The plywood vs MDF debate will start a civil war but good luck hearing a difference between them for the common man. The 70-80 is a very hi-fi sounding speaker which can work well in a closed back cab. It is a bright speaker and a lot of us hate it. It doesn’t sound bad at all when you eq it properly. The V-Type is a newer speaker design and does sound better to me.

scozz, tce63 and Sustainium like this.
  4. Peter Pav

Peter Pav New Member

Thanks, Yeah if I have to upgrade the speaker the only way the MX is worth it is to get one really cheap used.

tce63 likes this.
  5. Madfinger

Madfinger Well-Known Member

FWIW. Sometimes I wish I had purshased the combo & do speaker swap. Way more versatile & can allways plug into a cab of your choice.

tce63 likes this.
  6. Peter Pav

Peter Pav New Member

What do you mean by speaker swap ? Putting a 12 in the combo ? I've read that is not advisable, and people have had problems after doing that, the amp is made for a 10" speaker. Why would the combo be more versatile ? The head can be plugged into any cab, and that 10" combo just doesn't sound as good as a 12" cab. Why lug the combo and a cab?

tce63 and Dogs of Doom like this.
  7. Madfinger

Well I'm lugging a head & 1x12 cab at the moment but I do wish I could just take a combo sometimes, just mic a combo when possible or run the 10" combo & 12" cab as a stack. Versatility. Speaker swap I think celestion gold 10". I've no interest trying to jam a 12" speaker in a 10" cab.

tce63 likes this.
  8. Peter Pav

Peter Pav New Member

Ok, I got ya. Still think you made the right choice, because to me the combo sounds significantly boxier and the v10 that's in the combo already is pretty good, so I'm not sure another 10 would change that. Anyway thanks for the comments.

tce63 likes this.
  9. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

combo's are heavy & cumbersome...

You add the weight of the head & the cab - the trannies & the magnet(s). The box is top heavy & unlike a speaker cab, you can't manhandle it if need be. You have tubes & knobs to worry about...

W/ a head, you grab it by the handle & carry it like a toolbox...

Kinkless Tetrode and tce63 like this.
  10. Peter Pav

Peter Pav New Member

Where did you get the cabinet in your profile picture ? that is sweet. I haven't seen that anywhere.

tce63 likes this.
  11. Madfinger

Its a Achillies Hydra 1x12 made here in Aus. http://www.achilliesamps.com

Sir Don and tce63 like this.
  12. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Peavey makes a great 1-12” cab with a Cel Greenback in it for $300 that works great. They also have a 2-12” cab with GB’s that’s great with Marshall voiced amps. The logo comes right off with 2 small screws so they match about anything. Another great cab is the ones Eminence sells on their web site. They have very well made cabs without speakers in them for short money, $150 for a 1-12” and $200 for a 2-12” and they match about anything as well. I own the Peavey 2-12” and 1 of each Eminence, 1-12” & 2-12” cabs.

13. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

I bought a MX112 cab to use with my SC20, and I changed out the stock 70/80 speaker to a Celestion G12M-65 Creamback,....it sounds great!

The MX112 was $249 and the Creamback was $115 for a total cost of $364.

The SC112 is $699. I saved $335 and I got the exact speaker I wanted.
    [​IMG]