Need Some Cab Advice To Match Jcm800

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Joeballz, May 29, 2017.

1. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Get a Marshall 1936 with 75's in it, 2x12 is all you'll ever need for any situation.

2. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Full stacks are cool, a do have quite the wall of dbs coming at you. I have 2 full stacks but seem to play through the 800 1936 most of the time. Not that the newer 75s sound bad because they don't, the older ones just seem smoother, less harsh to me.

Kris Ford likes this.
  3. Yugedrums

Yugedrums Well-Known Member

Are we supposed to go with what we actually need? Uh oh....

This is actually true though. With modern-day PA systems, walls of amps are no longer needed like in the old days. The old-school artists needed the walls of stacks because they actually had the fill the arenas with sound themselves. I've often wanted a 1936, but they go so high! You can usually find a 1960 cheaper than you can find a 1936. From what I've seen though, the 1936's are highly regarded.

4. Yugedrums

I wouldn't sweat it too much though, because everything you're looking at is great stuff... so there's no chance of picking one and it sounding like total crap, you know? If you were looking at lower-grade equipment, you'd be taking a risk, but you're looking at top-shelf Marshall stuff.

Do keep in mind: It's a known fact that brand new speakers go through a break-in period for some amount of time where they don't sound their best yet. I've never bought new speakers so I have no experience with the break-in period to talk about, but I've read of people getting them and thinking they sounded bad, thought there was something wrong with them, etc. Seems like people have said they sound overly-bright and harsh when new. Definitely read up on that and keep it in mind too if you're at music stores sampling new cabinets.

5. Joeballz

Joeballz Member

Just ordered a 1960a from Sweetwater. Should be here Friday I'll let ya know how it sounds but I don't think I'll be disappointed.

6. Metroman

Metroman Well-Known Member

Whatever cabinet I got, I get an empty 1, and load it with the new Celestion 150w Redback G12H.

Great for a 2 x 12, as 2 of them will take 300w.

7. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

A used 1936 may cost a little more than a used 1960 but its a one time purchase you'll have for the long haul, make sure you get one made of ply and not MDF, popular opinion says ply is better.

8. Yugedrums

Awesome, I'd love to unbox a brand-new cabinet! You'll have a great rig with that combo.
    Very true. A 1936 would sure be handy and I'd still love to have one. I would prefer ply over MDF also.

9. chiliphil1

chiliphil1 Well-Known Member

Chinese production. It's made them inconsistent and of course with newer materials the sound isn't what it used to be.

As far as cabinets, I've purchased a brand new 1960 one time, back when they were $750 about a decade ago.

10. stilllifer

stilllifer Active Member

Yep - find a cab with G12-65's like my B cab from '82. It kills will everything, not just a 2203!

ThePitbullofLove likes this.
  11. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Well-Known Member

Key word being new....

Here's 16 G12T-75s..not ONE of them are scooped...
    [​IMG]
    My blackback G12h30 cab sits unplayed...

stilllifer and ThePitbullofLove like this.
  12. Joeballz

Joeballz Member

That's a sweat rig there!

Kris Ford likes this.
  13. mixn4him

mixn4him Active Member

Thats cool, I have a 1984 4x12 with the original vented T75's and they are not scooped at all, very unique speaker and sought after. However to my point the NEW ones since the OP was only looking for a NEW cab are scooped and not a great match for a JCM800..

Kris Ford likes this.
  14. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Well-Known Member

Right on.

Bottom right cab is an '84 with the vented too!

15. SG~GUY

SG~GUY Well-Known Member

-do yourself a huge favor, have one built out of 3/4" quality Baltic birch, 100% 3/4" quality Baltic birch, it will be far superior to any Marshall cab, I'm always looking for old Marshall cabs, and I love the oldest, beat to hell, road warriors, with ripped original grill cloth, B cabs, the secret is out, there not around like they used to be. As a life long Marshall/Marshall platform amp, seems everything I did was to tame the highs and add some thump, I've had them all, the only 2 I would buy, if it was a good deal, HENDRIX TV cab & MODE FOUR CAB. oh and of course the golden goose, pure in obtain I um!!! The ultimate Marshall cab!!!! 4x15 bass greenback cab

16. Kamanda~SD

Kamanda~SD Member

I run both V30's and G12T-75's with my 800's...V30's in a 2x12 and 75's in an 1985 1960B. Absolutely GASing for a cab with 65's though, but prices are out of my reach at the moment.

17. SG~GUY

SG~GUY Well-Known Member

-I've been very dissatisfied, & disappointed with just about every 2x12 I've ever heard, back in the ole Harmony central hey day, we had a Lil mini amp fest, I bought what was thought to be the best ported 2x12 on the market,PORT CITY OS WAVE 2X12,.. cost me an arm and a leg and 4+ months wait time, I loaded it with some old 65's I had forever, at the time I had a mesa Mk IV head, the smoothness of the 65's + the aggressive voicing of the mark IV, was it as big sounding, room filling, and just as present as a 4x12?.. Oh hell no, but it was better than any other 2x12 I had tried at the time, so we all meet, all the usual suspects, bringing the brootz were the only maps anyone dared show up with, I was pretty confident my almost $800 wave, in black of course, would kick ass!! With everyone playing they're own rig's, it was obvious that there were 2 rigs that just stood out, the most noticeable one to me was the new GEORGE LYNCH GENZ BENZ G-FLEX 2X12, and the dude was playing a Peavey XXX!!.. so I kept turning up the volume and at about 4, something weird happened to the fairly new, very well reviewed, port city OS 2X12, it not only didn't get louder, it hit a wall!!.. I hear guys talk about a cab getting "flubby". But what I noticed a lot of the time was that people fall into one of two categories, treble heavy, and they talk about " cut". And bass heavy-(that'd be me, I hate a "thin," tone, I wanna feel the bass, then you have the classic-(can't step on the bassist toes)-huh!.. and at the time the bassist played in standard tuning because the sound would turn to complete mud!!.. can't be done, its the rule!! Bassist!! Fuck the failed guitarist who tags along filling empty holes, pumping out low He's on his bass tuned to standard when I hear this argument I bring up maybe the best, if not he's definitely in the conversation, GEEZER BUTLER, the highest compliment you can give anyone who plays any instrument is MUSICIAN, GEEZER is/was/always has been maybe the king pin of the greatest METAL band of all time, BLACK SABBATH... Oh!!! News flash!!... Since 1973 GEEZER AND IOMMI BOTH TUNED DOWN TO C#, psssssst!! wheres the mud?... Tell GEEZER the rules on being a bassist!! any ways, got off track there for a few, maybe its my ADD? and there was one more set up there set up there that sounded in every way bigger,fuller,better than my brand new, highly touted, best reviews, all the endorsements, all the hype and at least 2x the price of not only cab, but in the 2 that were just better!!.. There entire rig!! The other high tech rig that kicked my rig, the high tech, state of the art, rig of doom that sent me home ashamed, and blaming it on speakers, an old JCM 800 2203, beat, stickers, zero mods, old school with a boost, and, and!!! A 1965 4x10 B cab, hey that's not a 2x12!!!!... CHEATER!! He put a new 2x12 baffle in it, that had cement peeling off, he said he found the "wood" out back in the scrap heap with at the time, by far, the most hated, despised leper of a speaker no one, and I mean no one admitting to have-(even if ya did)-75's,.. that's all I know, looked like hell, kicked my rigs ass at about a 1/4 of the price, so I go home with my tail between my legs and call port city, to have him suggest a better speaker, I was thinking EV!! PFFFFFFFFF!! that'll kicks there candy ass maps asss!!! The engineer said thats how it was designed, that the flat port design and internal baffle and volume creates a superior, and flatter eq curve, he mentioned i would get a little better performance with a higher and more efficent speaker design, but then you would have to weigh in a new cab, 4 new speakers, and alot of money, and he said if a bought another almost $800 port city is 2x12

Blueslicks likes this.
  18. SG~GUY

SG~GUY Well-Known Member

I was so pissed I put the port city cab up for sale, sat for awhile, ended up selling it for $650, oh!! and I sold it unloaded but forgot to take the 65's out, didn't realize it for awhile, but did wonder why the shipping cost more, dude took my trusty 65's and disappeared, I went out and bought a brand new George Lynch Genz Benz 4x12 reflex cab, it was huge!! If the 2x12 sounded that bad ass!! Imagine the destruction and madness I will unleash with this enormous, monsterc ab!!!
    Well I got it, it was with out a doubt, the dullest, biggest, piece of shit cab I've ever had!! AND YES!! ILL ADMIT IT, IT WAS WOOFY!! THATS RIGHT, I SAID IT And I at one time had a MG cab, upgraded with-(shhhhhhhh)-75's!!! there was a time when people didn't know what to do with these super cheap! MDF, TINY, cabs with horrible, horrible speakers, well the rumor mill was the smaller volume created a tighter, much improved, tone on 75's!! Another harmony central rumor, or hype, I had learned my lesson!!.. Never!! I mean ever!! Will I fall for reviews, forum hype, or anything of this sort!! Fool me once shhhh. Oh no,... Anyway. So of course, what's it been, 12-15 years since harmony centrals hey day? Things to note, to this day I still get sucked into the hype, especially if they tell me what I want to hear, I was in a pointy metal guitar phase then, I can't count them all, I loved the Jackson American soloist I had, traded it, up even!! For the new ibanez whatever, went through a few of them, because they were brutal shred machetes from hell, changed every components, oh many times, still sucked!! Then it hit me!! I don't even like shred!!!! WTF am I thinking, actually I hatecshred, have made that statement a million times, basically gave a $1200 guitar, for the shiney new ibanez!! I fell for the hype again!!! Will I ever learn... I don't wanna think of the money I spent back then, or a better way to say it, money I gave away, never learned the big lesson, here's what I have learned, well that's what I've said before only to,... Hey!!! The place was alive!! Countless clicks, tons of hype, might as well been better to spend my money on crack!! Actually I had fun, everything I ever got was the greatest piece of gear ever!!! Never gonna sell it!.. Only to be found in the gear emporium a week later for a substantial loss, hey!! There was a new hot thing to get!!... Back to the hard lessons, I don't like, no, I can't stand any bass wood guitar!! I went through a few, even that ugly Steve vai thing with the handle built in and splattered paint, that guitar alone spurrerd the most expensive, pup rabbit hole I've ever had, this was when all the new high end, super custom wounds came about, I remember I spent a almost $450 on one, one off, built for me, took months to arrive, I was so excited!! Had multiple threads, promised clips with my new apple I-mac BLUEBERRY!! WITH GARAGE BAND!!... POOF!! RECORD, DRAG AND DROP, POST!! -(did ya notice how I swept the $450 pup under the carpet!,.. That's the same fate as the threads I had on it, I was so ashamed, i sold it on ebay, on true auction!! Hey!! I could make big $$$$ here!!.. Noooo. Whammies!! Haa!! Suckah!! $63 before ebay fees, pay pal, yada, yada, yada.. Just make it stop..why was it so easy back then? Now, if anyone saw my attempt to up load a video clip of the katana, took a lot of help, 5 days, untold amounts of frustration and of course beer to self meddicate , that fat chick i had to.... Oh never mind...didnt even get the video, the best part when the old blue haired woman, hollared at me, tried to put me in a phone booth, and i no longer desire to post it, it was that frustrating to me, Sounded like another disappointing pick up I bought, but it was a Lil cheaper, well $350??? Cheaper?? the new!! GEORGE LYNCH SCREAMIN DEMON!! Release the KRAKEN!!...... What a disappointment!! Wimpy, wimpy,wimpy pup!! I sent it back, obviously defective!!!! Nope!! could of been the basswood!!! . psssst!! I learned that a solid SG with a fairly high out put DIMARZIO was like a comfortable pair of Nike's, that you've had for years, I don't like SD PUPS!! and I tried!!. And I mean none of them!! The worst is there copy of a DIMARZIO super distortion, except it sounds like a nice old PAF, that has a sheet metal screw to hold it down in the pup cavity, and I went through the coil, oh wait, I rember I read that on an EVH THREAD!! on how ed got his tone on oh whatever, and yes I had a huge pedal board!! Since my first nap SG copy through my mothers sound design, behemoth!! White, console stereo, TV, record player, 8track, giant 19" color tv in the middle baby!!! Weighedc700lbs, but!! It had a 1/4" input jack labled electric guitar & mic. HI FI ALL THE WAY!!... speakers lasted a week or maybe a day after i got a yellow DOD 250 PREAMP OVERDRIVE ORIGINAL!! WOO WHO!! my first good gear purchase!!.. GOD OF THUNDER!! EVERYTHING ON 10!! So theres no way my mom will notice if i remove the complicated super duty, HI FI 3 WAY speaker system, go to radio shack, put the new hi if 3 way speakers in before she's home!! Poof! God of thunder!! Came apart easy, but it was low quality MDF and cardboard, and it was glued in!! And I ripped!! And the super hi fi 3 way speaker system is actually I tiny flat, 12w speaker with a whizzer cone and a round hole WTF!! we've been flamboozeled!! Well the new radio shack speaker sounded much better!! And louder, must be the extra watts, can't be the number of "horse shoes". Wtf!! -(is any one still reading this randomness?)-(I'm not)-(I don't do novels)-(well the speaker repair was a success, easy, I'm a technician!! Back to the lessons learned, and lessons I refuse to learn, OK, so I learned, for me-(how long will it take dogs to move this, or delete it!!)-EROCK!!! this is really good and really bad! I met lots of guys from HARMONY, can't remember any of them, lost touch years ago, like my EVH PHOTO SHOPPED PIC of METH EDDIE!! at the Grammies? EROCK was the coolest, most helpful, great guy on there, come on, the place was fueledvby 17 year old guitar wanna bes, but it was like high school, lotsvof bullying, personal attacks, them know it alls who would shoot your one and onlybpost down in flames, your bitterness raged!! BUT!! you were smarter, more cunning, you patiently waited, hiding in wait, the PATIENTS OF JOE!! You were patient! The most patient, oh yes, your anger billed, waiting months, years!! A millennium if needed with your brutal attack, of brutal truth, flexing your superior knowledge, to be one of the cool kids, who get all the respect, even BIGGER, BETTER, MORE KNOWLEDGEABLE THEN EROCK!! I'll get you my pretty!! ANDVYOUR LITTLECDOG TOO". ahhh ha!! There's that shit!! Its been how many years,? Oh, 1 min 16 sec, and your brutal comeback of truth that will echo the real, knowledge, of the new king, the entire forum awaits your words of wisdom!!! AND YOU SAY,... OH THE TENSION!! HERE IT COMES!! OH NO!! THE HORRORCOF YOUR BRUTAL COMMENTS OF GEAR KNOWLEDGE AND BROOTZ ARE NOT ONLY LEGENDA,RY, HETFIELD IS RETIRING IN YOUR HONOR, HE BEGS YOU TO BRING YOUR BROOTZ TO METALLICA!! AND tutor my humble bratz, so I too can become BROOTALZ!! oh not better master of rabbits!! I mean riffage, take this small token, thisbmere pittence, a small sum of 45 gazillion, there will be more, all is for you oh great ONE!! LAY WASTE TO THAT TALENTLESS HACK, SHOW NO MERCY FOR WHO THE BELL TOLLS!! THEN JOIN US!!! WE'LL SHED THIS HORRIBLE FARRET, WITH HIS HALF CAULKED WAH, TAKE HIS GEAR , TAKE HIS HEAD!!

-and the entire forum awaits the powercchords of your powerful, enieletting, inescapable, certainty of this hacks life, but you let this puke twist in the wind, prolonging his agony, and awaiting all the great metal gods to come here your untold, brootalz of truth, that will explode like a jiant zit, until his head explodes

The silence is defined by a savage riff with never heard notes!!! CANT BE!!! ITS IMPOSSIBLE!! OH NO, IRON MAIDEN falls under the weight of your heavy right hand, then it starts, it kills the mere mortal false guitar gods!!!

Oh god no, please help me!! BLACK SABBATH are vaporized with your breath,... THEN THE WORDS, OH THE PAIN, THE FLOW, EVEN FATHERS CRY, NO MORE, PLEASE SHOW MERCY!!! AND IT IS SAID BY THE NEW KING

-YOU SUCK-

Blueslicks likes this.
  19. Blueslicks

Blueslicks Well-Known Member

That was awesome SG-GUY.

SG~GUY likes this.
  20. Joeballz

Joeballz Member

I'm pretty sure I got nothing out of that. And i just lost 10 minutes of my life reading it I can't get back. But sometimes you have to vent which is understandable. I too have wasted tons of money on gear! And I still suck haha. Only difference is now I can suck even louder with my new half stack. :jam:

mixn4him and SG~GUY like this.