Need a speaker upgrade

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Shane Stevenson, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Shane Stevenson

Shane Stevenson Member

I’m new to the forum and new to Marshall Amps. I recently purchased the Studio Classic and I absolutely love this amp! I’m not gonna be one of those guys who compare it to the original JCM 800s , well, because I’ve never owned one. Matter of fact, this is my first Marshall amp. All I know is that I’m getting all of the rock tones I’ve had in my head for years outta my Studio Classic. Simply glorious to play!

So, I got the head and matching SC212 cab. I’m not sure I’m digging these Celestion V Type speakers. The head arrived before the cab so I introduced myself to this amp through a 1X12 Dr. Z convertible open back cab with a Celestion Gold. The low end is simply amazing and punchy through my Z cab and when I hook up to the SC212 it’s lacking low end bass that I’m getting from the Z. I’m hoping it’s the V Type speakers because those can be replaced. I just can’t believe that the 1 C Gold is out performing 2 twelves! Any suggestions from you long time Marshall cab users? Thanks, and I’m sorry about the lengthy post.

2. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum Stevenson :cheers:. Yes it can be the speakers.

3. dptone5

dptone5 Well-Known Member

Welcome Shane! I am personally a huge fan of Greenback speakers with my Marshalls. I've recorded with many of the Celestion standards, V30's, G12T-75's and CL80's. My personal favorites are the G12M's (25 Watt) but I also really like the G12H-55 Hz mixed with a G12H-75 Hz.

Speakers are such an important part of tone. It's really personal preference. But for me, nothing compares. I like to play Classic Rock, Hard Rock and Blues.

Hope this helps.

DP

ricksdisconnected and steveb63 like this.
  4. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

When you have two speakers you divide the power by two. One speaker it gets all power. Make sure you are ohm mach the amp to the cab. If a single sounds good play it

5. Shane Stevenson

Shane Stevenson Member

Thanks guys! Well my research lends me to believe that greenbacks are the popular choice for Marshall. All I know is that I’m wanting speakers that will give me that low end roar and punch. I know that this amp is capable of this. I’ve considered golds, greenbacks and creamback 65s. I’m wondering which of the three will get me to where I wanna go in a 2X12 configuration. It’s obviously NOT the new V Types.

steveb63 likes this.
  6. Shane Stevenson

Shane Stevenson Member

it’s a cab with 2 16 ohm speakers, making it an 8 ohm cab. The badge on the back of the cab says “8 ohm”. I plugged into the red input, second from the left as your looking at the back of the amp. The input says 1X8ohm

7. South Park

Get a cheap ohm meter and measure it. If speakers been replaced don’t trust stickers

8. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

Go to Johan Segeborn's youtube channel. He has plenty of excellent videos demonstrating and comparing many kinds of amps and speakers for you to use as information when you decide what to try out next.

For me it's G12M25 greenbacks. Lots of speakers sound good, those sound best to me when used with a Marshall.

9. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Break in the speakers before you make any decisions, cant imagine the stock speakers are that bad considering Marshall chose to put them in this cab.

soundboy57 likes this.
  10. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

G12-65 reissue

Kinkless Tetrode likes this.
  11. Shane Stevenson

Shane Stevenson Member

Well it’s getting better after pushing it pretty hard. I’ll see what happens with more play time. It seems like all other Celestions I’ve used in the past have been keepers out of the box, then just became better with a good break in. Maybe the V Types different.

As far as the G12-65s...how much difference is there from those and the creamback 65s? I ask because the creambacks are on my short list to choose from. All I know is I need more low end and punch.

I wish I wasn’t so new to Marshall. This should have been taken care of 30 years ago.

12. RobS

RobS Active Member

welcome

Creambacks G12M65's are excellent. Remember that they get better with time

13. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

G1265 I'm not a fan of too bright for my liking, creambacks Ive never tried but they are a higher wattage greenback, greenback I like very much. With that said, I dont like greenbacks with my JCM800 I much prefer G12T75's. Oh, and I compared your amp with my amp and they are literally the same amp in sound and feel, so there you have it you dont have to do the comparison LOL. Hey and welcome to the forum! :yesway:

14. Shane Stevenson

Shane Stevenson Member

Well if the Studio Classic is that close to the 2203 then I can see the 100 or 50 watt version on my shopping list. Soon!

So far you guys have been a big help and y’all represent the world of Marshall well! So thanks for the suggestions.

15. South Park

Tone tubys

16. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

Remember your comparing a broke in alnico to non broke in ceramics.

GB's will be more like the V-types than they will the Gold.

The primary speaker used by Marshall during the 2203/2204 era was the G12-65.

I like 800s with GBs, but if you didn't like the V-types I think you will still prefer the Gold to GBs.

dptone5 likes this.
  17. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

Pretty different. The Cream back 65 is intended to be a 25 watt greenback sounding speaker that handles more power without blowing up. The G12-65 was introduced in 1978 and features a large dust cap while the greenback has a narrow dust cap. It was intended to have more clarity were as the GB has a fair bit of grit.

If you want more low end then you should probably be looking into Celestions with a H magnet instead of an M magnet.

The G12H30 might be what your looking for but you would probably want the 55 hz cone instead of versions with the 75 hz cone.

Also if you can, try a 2x12 with one G12H30 and one Vintage 30.

dptone5 likes this.
  18. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

It is kind of nice how the AlNiCo speaker lower frequencies exceed the actual data specification frequency response curve. I really like AlNiCo.

Kinkless Tetrode likes this.
  19. Metroman

Metroman Well-Known Member

90w Celestion Cream/Alnico is what Id get for Alnico.

For Ceramic Id go

150w Celestion G12H Redback.

Both of thee are probably my favorite modern Celestion speakers.

20. Shane Stevenson

Shane Stevenson Member

UPDATE! The V Types are staying in this cab. They broke in and are actually pretty fabulous. I’m sure I’ll experiment with different speakers later on down the road, and when (if) I do I’ll refer back to suggestions in this thread. For now theirs knocking it outta the park!

Dogs of Doom likes this.