NCD - Well, Not Exactly - But It Sounds New - Greenbacks!

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by dptone5, Aug 4, 2019.

1. dptone5

dptone5 Well-Known Member

For the last 13 years, I've been working to find the sound I have in my head. It has been a lot of fun. Definitely an iterative process, as everything in the signal chain affects the tone. Started with guitars, pickups and amps, then moved to pedals and speakers.

Guitars = Fender Strats and an LP
    Amps = Marshalls - 1987XL, 2203X, 2555 Jubilee and 2525C Combo
    OD Pedals = Xotic's BB Preamp, RC Booster and AC Booster
    Speakers = Greenbacks - 25 Watt and now the 30 Watt speaker 55 Hz & 75 Hz

After doing some recording over the last few weeks, I came to the conclusion that I just don't bond anymore with the G12T-75, Classic Lead 80's and G12-65 that I have. They are all good speakers, but there is something about the GB's that are so balanced.

I really liked the 55 Hz G12H-30 after I recorded with it. The lows are strong, so I picked up a G12H-30 75 Hz, to pair with it.

Considered putting both of these in my 2x12 cab, but decided that I wanted them in a 4x12. So with my 1960B cabinet, I took out the X-pattern G12T-75's and Classic Lead 80's, and installed two G12M Greenbacks on the top, since they have a lower sensitivity, and installed the G12H-30's on the bottom (I believe Friedman does this in his cabinets - putting the higher sensitivity V30's on the bottom and Greenbacks on the top).

Completely transformed this cabinet!! The tone is great. I run it with my 1960BX cab with 4 G12M Greenbacks and I am really amazed at how good this combination sounds.

So if you're looking to add a little variety to a GB 4x12, please give some consideration to the G12H-30's, both the 55 Hz and 75 Hz, and put them on the bottom, with G12M's on top.

Couldn't be happier - (For Now - you all know how it goes)!! :)

DP

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

wakjob, Allen Tomas, JTM1963 and 12 others like this.
  2. ricksconnected

ricksconnected Well-Known Member

nice

Mikee57, dptone5 and tce63 like this.
  3. GIBSON67

GIBSON67 Well-Known Member

Vintage G12H30's are monster speakers, especially the Pulsonic coned originals!

And I have a V30 quad, and adding just one G12M25 helped that cab tremendously, so I think I'll add another....G12M's up top, of course.

dptone5 likes this.
  4. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Nice DP! I often wanted to try the G12H30 maybe mix the 55 and 75 Hz in a 2x12. How different will these speakers sound from the greenbacks I already have? Did you try them in a 2x12 without the greenbacks?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    dptone5 likes this.
  5. dptone5

Hey Pedecamp. The 25 Watt Greenback is still my favorite speaker. The G12H-30 55 Hz has stronger lows and mine isn’t broken in yet. Definitely related and similar to the Greenback G12M.

The 75 Hz version is really great too. Haven’t recorded with it yet, but it perfectly compliments the 55 Hz. The lows aren’t as strong. The highs are brighter and it is tighter.

Can’t wait to record with both. Still think the G12M Greenbacks will win the day, but it could be that the G12H’s aren’t broken in.

I was going to put the G12H’s in my 2x12, but I want to put G12M’s in there.

I am thinking that the G12H’s would be epic in the 2x12.

I know you and I have been the Greenback and G12T75 mix fans here on the forum. I can honestly tell you that replacing the 75’s and CL-80’s with the G12H’s has been a HUGE improvement.

Hope this helps my friend. If you want to talk more about this, PM me and we can talk.

DP

6. pedecamp

I'm a big fan of 75's with my 2204 more so than the greenbacks, when my SV20H arrives I will pair it up with the greenbacks which will be the most obvious pairing to go with that amp in my opinion. :yesway:

tce63 and dptone5 like this.
  7. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I got the SV20H and the SV212 Cab vith Marshall Vintage speaker, after a few weeks i put in 2 Greenbacks, and all i can say is that they going to stay in the cab, perfect match.

pedecamp likes this.
  8. pedecamp

I've had a JTM45 and 1987x and they both paired up well with the greenbacks so I know the SV20H will too. :yesway:

tce63 likes this.
  9. PDC1

PDC1 Member

I played ‘speaker-go-round’ about a year ago and ended up with one 55hz Heritage and one 75hz Heritage in a thiele ported 2x12 and the thing sounds incredible. Really nice blend of lows, mids and highs. Nice compression from the lower wattage speakers. Great combo.

dptone5, pedecamp and tce63 like this.
  10. Allen Tomas

Allen Tomas New Member

Well, I think you should check out Marshall cream back speakers.

11. Allen Tomas

Allen Tomas New Member

This is new to me.. I think the cream back speakers with burstbucker2 &3.. That is a really professional sound. I've tried many effects and simulated amps and cabs.

dptone5 likes this.
  12. dptone5

Hey Allen, I did try the 65 Watt Creamback and it was really good. For me, I like the lower watt Greenbacks a little better, but the Creamback is superb as well. Thanks.

tce63 likes this.