NCD Orange PPC212

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by chrisBC, Aug 25, 2019.

1. chrisBC

chrisBC New Member

Hey!

So I acquired my new cab today, thought I would share it with you!

I should receive my JMP-1 and EL84 20/20 this week as well to fill that rack case a bit :D

NCDs.jpg

2. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

Nice!
    Add a BBE Sonic maximizer after that JMP-1.

tce63 likes this.
  3. Michael Gallegos

Michael Gallegos New Member

Congrats !! Closed or open back? I have the PPC212 closed back I use with my TH30 head but also periodically stack with my 1960B driven by a JVM210H.

The sound wall from the PPC is so solid and sonically well rounded in your face delivery, with a remarkable bottom end, full-on punch...enjoy!

4. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

heresy! :)...

Michael Roe likes this.
  5. Michael Roe

And you have never done that with your JMP-1?? :)

6. Michael Roe

I've never got to hear one of those Marshall EL84 20/20 power amps.....you have to upload clip so I can hear it.

7. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

I hate what the BBE SM does to electric guitar. It takes out the girth & makes it all hi-fi & sh!t...

It sounds good on acoustic & clean guitar, bass, drums, horns & some on vocals.

It can get overkill though & easily causes hearing fatigue.

TBH, what the sonic maximizer excels at, is overcoming the shortcomings of microphones, in capturing an accurate sound from the source. The way waves enter into microphones, the different frequencies confuse the mic, along w/ phase signals, all hitting the capsule at the same time, but at different wavelengths & speeds.

The maximizer helps to offset certain frequencies so the result is a more clear sounding rendition of the jumble of waves coming in from the mic to the capture device.

It still needs to be used judiciously.

When I want to punish my ears, I use the presence control & blast it... :)... (not the presence on the JMP-1 though, as it's not really a presence control)

8. Michael Roe

I have always used one after my JMP-1 for live use. Never sounds bad at all. I hate a shrill sound. To me, it adds girth and punch to it. I do however, use a lower gain and back off on all EQ knobs on the JMP-1. You cant really adjust your sound then add the BBE. You have to put the BBE in after the preamp and set both knobs to 1 O'clock then adjust your JMP-1 gain and EQ. For recording, I would never use the BBE.

Dogs of Doom likes this.
  9. chrisBC

chrisBC New Member

I literally never heard of that, but the next step will be a noise gate! But I am still going to check that out, at least to learn more about it :)

It's a closed-back, I prefer this over the open-back ones, though all of them are great!

Sure! It's going to be my first one as well, I have had a Mesa 20/20 before, if the quality is similar then I'm a lucky guy :D

Michael Roe likes this.
  10. Michael Roe

The JMP-1 isn't exactly a 100% pure tube preamp. It is great though and very versatile. Putting a BBE behind it and before the power amp is a very common thing. Do NOT put it in the loop! Put your TC FX there. A lot of guys will try the JMP-1 and never try a BBE with it and find the JMP-1 sterile and lifeless. The BBE will bring it to life. Another thing to try is different 12AX7 tubes in it. It does make quite a bit of difference. One of the AX7s is for the clean CHs and the other for the OD Chs. Experiment! I personally like a Mullard for the clean and a JJ for the dirty. Just my opinion but, I think the Bass boost is useless for the most part and OD 2 ch, I don't care for as well. The clean channels and OD 1 is where it is at it's best.
    Good luck with your new toys and enjoy!