Namm 2019

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by scozz, Dec 4, 2018.

1. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Well Said ! :applause:

Mitchell Pearrow and scozz like this.
  2. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

And yet Friedman is thriving. Amps big ,small. Standard models artist models. Guitars pedals pedal boards ,accessories etc etc. ever notice the amount of shit this guy comes out with?I mean that in a good way. Maybe Marshall is too big for its own good. Maybe too many guys at the top making too much money. Seems like they’re trying to hit a home run with every product they introduce

3. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

I certainly hope they don't do that. That's all we need is another uninspiring recto clone to help make music even more sterile and boring. I have always said, Marshall amps allow the user to be themselves and create their own tone.

4. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

I agree with Marshall's "target demographic" comment you made up to the point of Marshall not focusing on the middle age player as being a "big mistake." I think Marshalls wants younger people (younger being defined by me as 30 and under) using their products more than they want an older crowd, but they also know their parents are most likely the ones paying for it (the middle age and older demographic).

I also don't agree with the "studies show" comment (you also said "fewer and fewer new people" though I'm not sure what you meant by "new people"). I'm not sure what studies you're referencing, but it doesn't wash. More music is being marketed/sold/created/etc., by younger artists than older artists. True, not all of those people are playing guitar, but of the people who are guitar players I think a majority are younger people than middle age and older people.

Sure, if your sample size is going to just focus on this website, then you'll have your point made that older people are the majority playing guitar in general, and playing Marshall specifically. But if you take other sites like Facebook, Instagram, etc., into account, you'll see it's tilts more to younger people. It becomes more obvious when you actually step into the real world and see who is playing the bars, clubs, and other venues: it's majority younger musicians. Go out tonight to a major city like Los Angeles, Miami, New York City (burrow of Manhattan), Paris, London, etc., and a majority of the musicians will be young. Go to festivals like Coachella, SXSW, or any other festivals in the U.S. or Europe, and you'll see a majority of the axe slingers are gonna be younger than you and I.

I think that big musical instrument companies almost have to cater a young crowd than older crowd to survive financially. I also think it's smart to offer products that an older crowd might like, but it always will be a young man/woman's game for the most part.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  5. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

I am simply echoing what I have read in more than one publication that confirmed what many have thought, that there are fewer people learning to play guitar today than in the past.

In the 60s and 70s guitar manufacturers saw a spectacular increase in sales, no doubt mostly because of bands like the Beatles and others around that time. Rock and Roll was soaring and so were guitar sales.

Today and in the recent past guitar sales are down. Some large guitar manufacturers are struggling to keep their doors open.

The examples you site are no doubt true and I’m not questioning that, but I think that’s mostly anecdotal and does not represent the larger picture of declines in general of people learning to play guitar.

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  6. MaskingApathy

MaskingApathy Well-Known Member

Having talked to people at Marshall in the past I can tell you that you're spot on.

7. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

Maybe my "anecdotal" evidence is about as convincing as your "studies show," but my point still remains:
    Marshall (and probably a lot of other major amplification and guitar manufacturers) really don't care about having your age demograhic as a customer. Most major amplification and guitar manufacturers would probably rather have a photo, video, tweet/retweet, or message of a 20-something using or talking about their products posted on their website and social media accounts than a 60 something. Don't get mad, dog, it's just the way it is.

steveb63 likes this.
  8. chiliphil1

chiliphil1 Well-Known Member

Marshall has the potential, It's really up to them. Friedman is doing very well by using a modified version of a Marshall, Victory is looking very good by having amps that house "classic British tone and Modern metal" in one box. These other guys can do it, so can Marshall. They just have to decide to.

Mitchell Pearrow and dptone5 like this.
  9. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

I’m not arguing that point at all....I’m simply saying there are fewer people starting to learn guitar today than there were 50 years ago..... and it had been a steady decline. That’s all! :rolleyes:

10. MaskingApathy

MaskingApathy Well-Known Member

Still no teaser on their website... I think they might just be waiting until next week before sharing anything (which is what happened last year).

tce63 likes this.
  11. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

I think the problem for Marshall is that most of the booteek companies are run by one guy who's a long time player and an amp fiddler who woke up one morning and thought 'I could do better than this and make living from it'. They then follow their dream and their ears and you get Friedman et al. Problem is Marshall don't have that guy. Any more. So they sort of wander around relying on their name and their history - sometimes they get it right sometimes they don't - but they don't really have a bold new direction.
    That said for every Friedman or Bogner there are probably thousands of failures.
    All that said I love my DSL40CR and there's nothing like it for the money to my ears. However I'm sure if Dave Frieman worked at Marshall my DSL would just sound better.

12. Bloodrock

Bloodrock Well-Known Member

After bitching about Marshall the last couple years myself, I’ve come to realize that Marshall has done pretty good. The new dsl’s are the best dsl’s ever at a great price point. Same with the origin, great old school tones way below the prices of something like a Friedman or other boutique brand. I’d still love a mini 800, but my mini jubilee is simply the best Marshall I’ve ever owned.

13. Buzzard

Please,please,please, marshall do a yjm 100 style amp. Of course in a smaller head cab. under $2,000 - power scaling, with all the same features.

14. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

very valid point..the DSL is very good..have great amps but gig the DSL..so simple ,old school to modern gain is in it and it can be run boosted,,,get it on a proper 4x12 and it holds it own very well. I have 2204-6100 and the DSL when you a/b them can cop those tones..so take the time to set it right and you have classic marshall..start to tweak and you have.."your" new tone all yours..to build on

15. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

That is dead right.☺

16. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

They need clearer naming.

Or at least put what it's supposed to do on a sticker for the shops.

Origin, Class, JVM, JCM, JPM, C this, H that...say whaaaat?

Take a queue from Fender, Blues this, Reverb that, Hot Rod etc... popular products tell the customer what's in the box before trying.

PS there's a damn good reason why signature gear has taken off so much --- and it ISN'T BECAUSE EVERYONE IS SUCH RABID EVH, SLASH, VAI, SATRIANI ETC. FANS ---- it's just that most folks are confused as hell what to expect from things on display in stores...

"oh Eddie Van Halen's amp? Ooookay, close enough to what I like I guess?"

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    tce63 likes this.
  17. Buzzard

So what exactly does a brown eye be-100, dirty shirley 40, pink taco ,buxom betty tell you about the amp?

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  18. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

No clue, only that the sole one I'd even touch based on name alone is the Betty.... others are automatically out

Never said the rest of the market did particularly well in that area

Guitar stores have more bewilderment confusion and misinformation, per capita & counting the sales staff, than the worst international hub airports

JAC likes this.
  19. Kim Lucky Day

Kim Lucky Day Well-Known Member

This thread has suddenly taken on an extra specially interesting tone...

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  20. JAC

JAC Well-Known Member

DSL40HR would be awesome! Every combo DSL40 I have heard or played have totally bitchen tone to my humble ears.

BftGibson, Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.