Namm 2019

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by scozz, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

Don't agree. So you think channel 1 sounds like channel 4? Channel1 goes from clean to bluesbreaker/plexi ,channel 3 sounds like 80's modded marshall and 4 beyond that. I hear they've come a long way with ear transplants these days. lol.

MonstersOfTheMidway likes this.
  2. Neville

Neville Member

Well, might have been a little exagerrated, but still: yes, compared to what the mode switches do on a Mark V for example, the JVM lacks in versatility. The JVM always sounds british, maybe except for Channel 1 green. Not a bad thing, but I don't need 12 modes for that. I think a kind of super JCM 800 with a modern metal sound, a nice clean channel and classic 800 sound in between would be just fine. Am I the only one who feels it is time for a new made in UK flagship now that the low budget players were given new DSLs and Origins?

3. MaskingApathy

MaskingApathy Well-Known Member

I would suggest waiting until January.

tce63 and scozz like this.
  4. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

That’s good advice! :thumb:

5. PU239

PU239 Well-Known Member

They don't like it because like most forums they are full of misinformation, bullshit, and unchecked product bashing.

They get feedback from buyers in over 100 countries where they sell their amps.

Jim listened to player feedback. The new regime not so much. Marshall got talked into the 2555x reissue and sales in the US were well below expectations...it was discontinued here. People were screaming for then very few bought it.

Dogs of Doom and clutch71 like this.
  6. PU239

PU239 Well-Known Member

Buyers for the big retailers provide that feedback.

You can scream for 20 watt plexis all day here, but if people are not coming in the store wanting one or nagging their online sales rep for one Marshall will never hear about it.

Understand Marshall is not ran by a bunch of guitar slingers now, its ran by business people.

7. justinrhoads80

justinrhoads80 Well-Known Member

A Jackson Jeff Loomis Signature will be unveiled in 2019 NAMM

8. PU239

PU239 Well-Known Member

Jeff Loomis is a bad ass. He has been a Schecter guy.

justinrhoads80 likes this.
  9. clutch71

clutch71 Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with you there. I still think there is valuable contribution here...good and bad on a forum such as this.

10. scott-colorado2016

scott-colorado2016 Well-Known Member

I'm curious...
    Which do you find more useful?
    Footswitchable reverb (like the JCM2000) or footswitchable loop.
    I on a small amp (Origin 20, DSL20), I don't see much of a need for a switchable loop, especially with the gain turned up. I don't see that much use for a switchable reverb, more use for independent reverb controls (like the JCM2000). I don't play out, just a home player, nor have I played either the DSL20 or the Origin 20, so keep that in mind. I have owned a DSL50, though.
    I just think, from all I've read, the switchable loop on the new DSL line doesn't seem to be much of a hit. I think Marshall overly complicated the design of these amps unnecessarily.
    To keep this relevant to the thread, it would be cool to see a mini 2204 with a loop and a footswitchable boost.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  11. chiliphil1

chiliphil1 Well-Known Member

I think the switchable loop is the way to go. For the reverb to be switchable is nice but then you’re limited to only being able to add that when needed. If the loop can be switched then you can bring in reverb, delay, eq, etc as needed.

The switching things like this are intended for live use. I didn’t see the point either before I played gigs but once I did, I got it. The bulk of the song doesn’t need reverb or delay but the solo does so being able to kick the switch is a big thing.

12. MaskingApathy

3 weeks and 2 days until NAMM! Can't wait to see all the new amps!

scozz and tce63 like this.
  13. Coronado

Coronado Well-Known Member

I'd have to agree - I wouldn't mind seeing Marshall step into the Recto/Mark territory. Now I love that legendary tone of a Marshall, and after playing a Recto/6505/ENGL for a while, I really enjoy plugging back into a 2203 or JMP. I'd love to see Marshall try out some 6L6 monster (for example) that could push some of the lower range and give Revv, Mark, Diezel, ENGL, Randall, (etc.) a run.

14. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Are you being facetious or are we to be expecting a bunch of new amps?

15. MaskingApathy

I don't know how many but there are supposed to be new amps presented this year.

scozz likes this.
  16. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

Believe it when I see it.

17. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Probably everyone and their brother on this forum have seen my whining about not be able to decide between a Dsl20 or a Dsl5.

Soooooo....if I had my way I’d love to see a Dsl10cr with s 12” speaker and a 5 watt mode!

That would be perfect for me.....

My decision would be settled! :D :rofl:

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  18. Thrane

Thrane Active Member

Marshall should replace the JVM with a 2 channel made in UK head.
    1th channel JTM 45 cleans
    2th channel 1968 era plexi crunch.
    No build in digital effects.
    A master volume that goes out if the circuitry when the knob is dimed, so it's like a non master volume amp.
    Bypass effects loop.
    The amp must be available in 15, 50 and of course 100 watt.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  19. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

I absolutely agree that Marshall is in sore need of a new flagship model, but I also absolutely disagree with the reasons you give.

I doubt Marshall cares what you think (or what I think), but I choose to believe that if the company creates a new flagship model, it will have to be something that they strongly feel will bring them in a lot of money just as the JVM4 and JVM2 series amps have. In Marshall's eyes, if it can't be very profitable, then don't bother making it.

Judging from their website, I think they really don't care about going back in time and reissuing a bunch of old stuff. I honestly don't think they care about older musicians/players or what they want (being in my 40's I count myself as an older amateur musician/player. After looking at the images on their website, the company seems to want to serve youth and make things that appeal to their wants/needs/desires/etc. Whether the company actually goes in that direction in 2019 remains to be seen, but it will be interesting to see what they do and the reason(s) they give for doing whatever it is they end up doing.

20. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

It seems their target demographic is NOT the middle age player, and this may be a big mistake.

Studies show that over the last few decades there are fewer and fewer new people playing guitar.

Also, it seems to me that middle age folks, (and I still include myself in this group even though I may be beyond it!! Lol), are the largest ‘guitar playing’ demographic.....and have the most disposable income.

But what do I know? I’m just a 62 year old guitar player that likes to plug in and rattle a few windows a few days a week! :D :cool:

dptone5, Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.