Namm 2019

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by scozz, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Bloodrock

Bloodrock Well-Known Member

I think Marshall did the mini jubilee perfectly. As close to the original as possible while improving the slight issues with the originals. My current rig is a 2525c, an EVH lbx, and few pedals. Low wattage tube amps are selling very well. What guys like me are after is THAT 800 tone, pure and simple like the originals in a small package. I don’t want another approximation, or an overpriced modders tweaked version that they think is better like Friedman. His amps absolutely neuter the classic Marshall mids. I don’t understand how doing exactly the same thing with the 800 that they did with the Jubilee is not a no brainer? I’m just baffled... You can market to new customers without alienating the millions you already have.

dptone5, Trident and pedecamp like this.
  2. Bloodrock

Bloodrock Well-Known Member

And no, the origin is NOT the low wattage Plexi we wanted. It’s a cheap inferior sounding amp made to please a price point. Those of us who know what a good Plexi should sound like would pay twice what an origin costs to have a REAL low wattage Plexi.

proxy and pedecamp like this.
  3. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

The DSL20 and mini Jube ARE NOT an 800. I'll patiently wait for my wet dream thank you. :fingersx:

dptone5 and Bloodrock like this.
  4. Javimart1212

Javimart1212 Member

One night, it will "come."

Mitchell Pearrow and pedecamp like this.
  5. Trident

Trident Well-Known Member

6. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member

If you can’t get vintage Marshall tones out of them something is wrong. Reality is outside of die hard Marshall people the 800 is not in high demand. How many ways can Marshall do the same thing? I didn’t even bring up Orange. They have a wide selection of valve mini British heads that rock and go for <700 bucks. You might be waiting until hell freezer over.

scozz likes this.
  7. pedecamp

I cant get tones out of them I like, also I have an Orange but its no Marshall. I'll wait, meanwhile I'll get a Peavey MH if I have to, they did a good job with those Peaveys.

8. Deep Purple fan

This is kinda a point I’m making. Unless Marshall comes up with something new, fresh and better than the original the legion of Marshall fans will call foul. The so called mini 800..... if all it is is a 20W 800 tone with a fix loop it will die and die fast. There are several amps better than that available now.

The bottom line.... it’s slready out there.... better.....and you’ve got choice of brands. Marshall is late.....very late....if that was their plan.

scozz likes this.
  9. Deep Purple fan

The PEAVEY MH is a cool amp. If Marshall puts out a 20W 800 for $500 bucks it would be a pleasant surprise.

Mitchell Pearrow and scozz like this.
  10. Kim Lucky Day

Kim Lucky Day Well-Known Member

I think a higher watt version of the old Class 5 would be a pretty cool amp. A 20 watt version would fit nicely, perhaps with a power switching option to 5W or whatever. This is a fairly simplistic amp... they could be made in England and marketed at a reasonable price and they would probably sell tons of them. I'd buy one in a heartbeat and the last thing I need is another amp (just ask my wife...)

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  11. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

Have you tried one of the 50th Anniversary JMP1 amps? I recently picked up one of these and also an Origin 20H. I like them both. The JMP1 is a little more authentic sounding but the Origin is not that far off. For the price, I think it does a nice job. I do however agree that if Marshall put out an authentic 20 watt 1987x at twice the price of the Origin 20H I would be seriously interested.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  12. PU239

PU239 Well-Known Member

What makes the legendary plexi sound is those massive transformers. You will never get that with a 20 or 30 watt amp.

There is a clear difference between a 1987x and the 100 watt 1959. Closest you will get in a lower watt amp is a cranked 2061x.

13. chiliphil1

chiliphil1 Well-Known Member

I really have to wonder if Marshall is aware of the existence of this forum. Every single year we all say the same things over and over and they put out something completely different. If you think about Orange, they have the terror series, very affordable, many options, quite popular. The Friedman amps, 20 watts, hand wired, in demand, and less than $2k.. Where is Marshall at on this? There are so many features that they could "borrow" and so many that they have already done and everyone asks "just put them all in the same amp" but they don't. I can't understand it.

scozz likes this.
  14. pedecamp

I'm not counting on Marshall putting out a $500 mini 800, I'd much rather it be the quality of a mini Jube, but yeah the Peavey 6505 MH might just have to do for me the mean time, It does all kinds of pleasing tones, clean, crunch, distortion, and lots of features in a very small affordable form factor.

scozz likes this.
  15. PU239

PU239 Well-Known Member

They are aware of the site and don't like it.

They also are running the company much different now than pre 2011 when Jim was still with us.

It's now a business driven by profit, not the player or what the player wants.

The question is no longer will our customers like this, its what is our rate of return.

16. clutch71

clutch71 Well-Known Member

I would be interested to know why they do not like this forum. I think any medium where you can get feedback about your products (good or bad) would be a benefit.

17. chiliphil1

chiliphil1 Well-Known Member

It's a shame, honestly. Marshall should OWN the amp market as they always have. There is no reason in my mind as to why they don't have a modern metal amp, why they don't have smaller sized amps, why they don't add the features that people actually want. I think the DSL series is cool, the origin too but, that's not what people wanted. The mini jube? C'mon, no one asked for that, they just did it. The 2 amps that people ask for in a mini package they don't offer. I go back again if Friedman can make a hand-wired 20 watt hot rod plexi and price it at $1499 WTH is Marshall doing?

dptone5 likes this.
  18. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

I don’t know if you have some inside information about that or not....but to me, a companies rate of return is directly related to what their customers like...(if they’re interested in repeat customers).

19. pedecamp

Exactly! As long as they keep putting out new reiterations of the DSL, I aint buying nothing!

20. Neville

Neville Member

I feel like it's time for a new flagship. Don't get me wrong, the JVM ist still a great amp, but compared to other modern amps it lacks in the high gain department...much too noisy. Also i don't think it is actualy that versatile. Yes, it has 4 channels with 3 modes per channel, but I always felt like these were not actual different voicings, the main difference to me seems to be the amount of gain. So it is basicaly a one channel amp with a big gain knob which goes from "Off" to "100".
    That's not very impressing nowadays, since there is for example the 5150, which has no modes at all and can still be dialed in to sound more british or more american.
    I think that people who are in the market for a new pro amp think about EVH, Mesa, Orange, Friedmann and so on, maybe also about the Marshall reissues. But the JVM is really kind of outdated. As I said, still a great amp, but definitely not what a flagship needs to be in 2019.