NAD

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Michael Roe, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

Please help me give a warm and LOUD welcome to the Studio Classic SC20H to the collection of 20 watt heads.

My quick initial response to the SC20H, three words:

LOUD!
    LOUD!!
    LOUD!!!

For the LOUD Wars in the 20 watter competition:
    The award goes to the SC20H by quite a bit!
    I wasn't expecting the mini 800 to be that much louder than the mini Jubilee and the DSL20HR. I haven't yet A/Bd it with the SV20H so maybe that one will give it some competition. I ran all three( DSL 20HR, Mini Jube and the SC20H) into a 1960AX and, to me the mini 800 is louder in low power mode than the other two in high power mode.

20 Watt Amp Stack.jpg

2. The Dose of Harmony

The Dose of Harmony Well-Known Member

Ohhhh Man!!!!

I bet those little bastards are mean !!!
    :headbanger::headbanger::headbanger:

3. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Premium Member

And it sounds ?

Great ?

HNAD

Cheers :cheers:

4. rich88uk

rich88uk Well-Known Member

Congrats! Welcome to the club

5. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

So out of the 4 pictured which is your favorite?

I will tell you the SC20H side by side with a 2204 the volume and tone are identical, they really sound like the same amp, and the volume curve is the same. Happy NAD :yesway:

6. Michael Roe

Ok, I'm only about two hours in.
    Just got done doing an hour long jam A/Bing the SV with the SC. Yeah, they are both equally LOUD!
    Also, today is also NAD meaning "new Attenuator day".
    Got both the weber Mini mass and the Mass 200. real quickly I like the Mass 200 better. It has the adjustable treble. I kind of figured that I would like that one better.
    I will have to do some more tone testing between the two attenuators but first result is I think maybe the mass 200 retains the amps tone just a wee bit better. Although, after some very loud playing my ears may not be just right.

Ok, so SV vs SC:
    I haven't even opened the SC up yet to see what tubes are in it so maybe not a fair battle as of yet. Keep in mind, I have rolled tubes in the SV and got it like I like.
    No pedals in front:
    If you put a gun to my head and said, "Choose one right now". I would go for the SV. The SC is muddier sounding to me. I don't like the gain up past 4 on it at all-even more muddy sounding.
    With pedals in front:
    Here they get closer sounding. The SV still wins. It is just cleaner and sweeter sounding to me.

Ok, all for now. Off, to find out what tubes are in the SC......

7. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Congrats @Michael Roe,....that's quite a nice collection of 20 watt amps! You've certainly got a very wide array of 20 watt Marshall tones to enjoy. And yes, the Jcm800 Studio is a very loud 20 watts, It's easily the loudest 20 watt amp I've ever heard, not even close, (I haven't heard the SV20). To me, it sounds more like it's really 50 watts! It does have 2 EL34s, like many 50 watt Marshalls,.....

Loud-Yes
    Muddy- No

That's a new one, I'm hearing many saying the Jcm800 Studio is a very bright amp, and I agree to some extent. It is bright, but not "very" bright,....but it's certainly not muddy. I play mine mostly with the treble and presence on less than half.

Maybe you should reassess that statement when your ears cool off! :lol:

[​IMG]

8. Kutt

Kutt Well-Known Member

80 watts of fury right there. Like it. LIKE IT.

9. Michael Roe

My ears are fine, lol
    What they were hearing were the awful sounding JJ power tubes. To me JJs seem to work in marshall amps from the 900 to modern. Anything vintage and they just sound way too muddy.
    I popped in a set of Mullard...Hello! There we go!
    Much, much better. Cleared that muddiness right up.
    Some amps do the power tube thing lightly while others are very drastic. BIG DIFFERENCE!
    Oh, it's definitely a keeper. One nice thing some guys might want to know, out of the 3 studio amps, the 800 is better at a good tone at lower volumes without an attenuator.
    You can get the Jube quiet but it's sweet spot is in the 7's range.

10. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

Yeah they are duller sounding!

Mitchell Pearrow and Michael Roe like this.
  11. Michael Roe

That would be a hard choice. Depends on what style of music I was playing. If it were a live band:
    Modern metal, the DSL for sure.
    Classic rock, that's a tough one. If I were the lead player than maybe the SV. If I were the rhythm player then probably the 800.
    The Jube wouldn't leave the house unless I could play it on 7. Otherwise that one is a great studio amp to record with. Might use that one in a hard rock/metal gig.
    If I had to play a gig and had no idea what style I was going to play, The DSL.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  12. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Well that's a coincidence, I've been thinking about trying new power tubes in my Studio800. I was considering a set Tung-Sol EL34b but maybe the Mullards would be a better choice. Would you recommend the Mullards,...also, whatever I choose, I do need to make sure they're a matched set correct?

13. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Premium Member

Matched within reason. As long as they're close.

Mitchell Pearrow and scozz like this.
  14. Michael Roe

A few years ago, I ran an impulse response test thru an amp with several different power tubes. And the result was just as I hear them in the room.
    JJ EL34= More low mids slightly scooped
    JJ E34Ls= Bigger bottom more scooped than regular JJ
    Svetlana= sort of like the JJ E34L with not as boosted bottom and highs and more articulate mids- more Hi Fi than the JJ E34L
    Mullard= flatter response of them all with a little more gain

Definitely get a matched set.

I never used the EH 6CA7 in the test but I do really like that one in my Jube. Thanks to some fellow MF'ers for the heads up on that one! That is the perfect tube, IMHO, for the Jube.
    I like the Mullard in my SV.
    It's a toss up for the DSL. Sometimes I like the Svetlana and other times the Mullard.

I will have to try the EH in some other amps when I get the time to do so.

15. Michael Roe

Just did a volume match between the mini 800 and my JCM 2K DSL. No competition, the DSL is twice as loud and way more big iron beef.

16. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Well the Tube Depot matches them for the customer, I just need to click on the box that says "match". I'm sure they'll be close wouldn't they?

17. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Premium Member

Oh yeah. Absolutley. They can vary by a few Ma here and there. 6 or 8 Ma is still close.

wntbtw likes this.
  18. Michael Roe

Last time I played through an 800 was in the late 90's and I had a 2205. This mini does not sound like that from my memory. I thought that one sounded kind of mushy but I didn't use any pedals with it. This SC20H sounds better to me- with pedals.
    Ok, so I go out of guitar into a Tumnus deluxe with all knobs basically at noon with the low gain setting. Then into EP booster with knob all the way down. Into amp (high sensitivity)with gain on 4 with all EQ/Presence on 6 with mid at 4. Then finally into 1960AX.
    This sounds great! Really good!!
    Ok, lets put a BBE Sonic maximizer in the loop...
    Hello, Low gain DSL territory now. Just a little brighter sounding then the DSL with a little more something in the power amp singing goin on.
    I think this will record very well. Can't wait to try that out this weekend.

So, all you 800 users out there. Is it a normal thing to use pedals in front of this amp? To me, I don't like the gain past 6 on this amp at all. Gets really muddy sounding to me.
    Turning the gain down to 4 and hitting it with pedals does the trick.
    Another interesting find: I like my PRS guitars better through this amp then any other one I own. The usual suspects, LPs, Strat and Ibanez sound great as always.

19. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

You'll notice depending on where the pre-amp is set the tone gets thicker/thinner, I find that 5 is the perfect tone right on the edge of breakup then use OD pedals to get my dirt. So if you go higher than 5 on the pre-amp turn the presence up to match since the higher the pre-amp the muddier the tone youre presence will compensate for that. But I typically leave it on 5 thats my core tone.

Michael Roe and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  20. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Yes they would