NAD Splawn Supersport EL34B

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by clutch71, Dec 7, 2019.

1. clutch71

clutch71 Well-Known Member

Sometime when you are not looking for something it finds you. I have not been here much between work, 4 teenagers, and my beautiful wife...life comes at you fast. When it does come to guitar I spend more time playing than thinking or talking about gear. My current amps (DSL 50 and Baron Snott Watt) are head/cab and a pain to lug if you go anywhere. SO a combo amp has been in the back of my mind for quite sometime. A couple days ago I came across this and it followed me home.

[​IMG]

My intent was to have an amp that with the guitar is one trip from the car to wherever I'm going. Initial thoughts...it's heavy (about 50lbs) with massive Classic Tone transformers and choke. It is the fullest sounding 1x12 combo I have ever owned. The 55w Small Block speaker sounds like a quad greenbacks to me. At 50w it's loud but sounds great through the volume range. Initially I bypassed the effects loop but now use the loop master which I think it sounds better at lower volumes. Unfortunately it does not have a footswitch. What I do have I use for channel and gears but can't change OD1 or OD2. Not sure which if nothing plugged into A or if you change it and unplug does it stay? I just leave it alone and don't think about it using my guitar volume to go from semi clean, crunch, to lead tone. Clean channel is great! I run a wah and tuner out front with no real plans for anything else. I have always liked the Quickrods I've played and this reminds me of them.

2. jchrisf

jchrisf Well-Known Member

I had one of these. Probably the perfect amp for someone into rock, hard rock and metal tones for the bedroom or stage. Sounds really huge even at low volumes and the loop volume control works great to tame it. You should order the footswitch from Splawn.. they are only $80 but contact him because you might be able to use the 4 button. Mine came with a three button
    https://www.sagepayments.net/eftcart/product_detail.asp?part=3buttonqrpmsr

Splawn 4 Button Footswitch includes 25 feet detachable cable with din connector. Fits Quickrod Promod Streetrod amps after serial number 460 Free shipping lower 48 states
    https://www.sagepayments.net/eftcart/product_detail.asp?part=4buttonfootswit

stringtree likes this.
  3. Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers Well-Known Member

4. stringtree

stringtree Well-Known Member

Wow!!
    The Tones in this are Sic!! :dude:

Congrats on such a Fine amp!

(net video) starts at 3:20

(net video)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  5. jchrisf

Whoops.. my bad.. I had a Street Rod and I thought yours was too.

6. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I too had one, mine was a Street Rod combo. One of the few amps I wish I had not sold. I think Splawn is the best sounding british flavor amp in the standard pile of amps, Friedman and alike are better known but not better sounding. Mine had 3 great voicings including hot-rod Plexi, hot-rod 800, and super hot-rod 800, as well as "old / new" switch, a boost switch, 4 button footswitch and a Cel 75w CB speaker. Very nice amp I would like to have again someday. One of the very best 1-12" combo british type amps available.

Attached Files:

jchrisf and stringtree like this.
  7. jchrisf

So far, if I could only have one amp it would be a Splawn.. but I haven't tried them all yet.

8. clutch71

The difference between OD1 and OD2 seems minimal. Should they be drastically different? I do detect a difference between 1st gear and 2nd gear. The past Splawn's I played either did not have a footswitch or did not have the original.

9. jimmyjames

jimmyjames Well-Known Member

Brown Gator, the tolex I chose for me MercV :cheers:

10. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Another nice thing about Splawn is you can talk to them. I called and got the owner right away and it seemed like he cared about what you were buying. It also seemed like he wouldn't leave you high and dry if something went to hell. I would buy with confidence from Splawn.

stringtree likes this.
  11. jchrisf

I remember thinking the same thing when I had mine. Then when I got used to it and got it dialed in I could hear the difference better. I liked using OD1&2 more than changing channels.

12. Nitrobattery

Nitrobattery Well-Known Member

Congrats! Big fan of the Splawn stuff myself.

The OD1/OD2 thing is subtle. It's really just to add a little more sustain for solos. I mainly switch to OD2 if I'm using something like an HSS loaded guitar and want to even out the output differences between the humbucker and say the neck singlecoil. It's more of a compression thing that you feel as the player than something that's drastically audible.

Enjoy the amp!

stringtree likes this.
  13. clutch71

Over the weekend I had the opportunity to A/B the Splawn against my DSL50. The DSL has been my favorite amp for a long time.

The first thing I will say is that the amps are similar.

On the Splawn I am pretty much OD1 in 1st or 2nd gear.

On the DSL I am always on OD1.

The clean channel on both amps are good. The Splawn seems to have a deeper feel in the lower frequency's.

The Splawn is brighter, has more gain at similar gain settings, and compression.

The DSL on OD2, engaging bass boost, and tone shift sounds close to the Splawn but is less compressed.

The loop on the DSL is plug and play. The loop on the Splawn I need some more time to figure out the balance between channel volume and loop master.

I plugged the Splawn into a Single 1x12 loaded with a Marshall Vintage speaker (with Small Block unplugged) and was not that wild about it. I like the DSL with Marshall Vintage speakers.

Summary - Even similar there are enough differences justify owning each.

If someone is weighing a decision of one or the other on price, the DSL is by far the superior amp. A DSL40 with a Vtype speaker I think is $799 US new. The Super SPort is $1599 US new.

If someone is weighing a decision of one or the other on quality the Super Sport is the superior amp. Classic tone transformes and choke, Carling switches, chasis mounted tube sockets, chasis mounted pot's, carbon comp resistors, orange drop caps, and super thick dual sided circuit board. Wiring and solder joints were very neat. I know, I took the thing apart!

Wolvieberzerker and jchrisf like this.