NAD JVM410HJS

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by wmachine, Aug 27, 2019.

1. wmachine

wmachine Well-Known Member

And a major landmark for me. I’ve been fortunate to be able to complete my bucket list of gear acquisitions. (I’m not here to debate it being complete). Completed the guitar collection over a year ago.
    On the amp side, I previously did get a 2555X Silver Jub when they were closing them out, and even went the distance with matching 2551 A&B cabs.

But I still felt the need (that’s what we call our “wants”) for another Marshall to compliment it. And it had to be another 100w. More and more it became apparent that it should be a JVM410HJS. That would cover the most ground and not be too much like the Jube. FWIW, it means nothing to me that it is a signature model. I just like what it is.

Since “….Big Amps A Thing Of The Past” is confirmed on another thread here, I’ve been watching for prices to drastically drop on these, getting ready to get one. Well, prices are not dropping like a rock yet, and I’m not getting any younger, so when a relatively good deal came along, I just decided to buy it now, and regret not waiting longer later. (Ya think?)

Not a chance to plug it in and play yet, but my question is at this point is what to expect from speakers.

I originally thought nothing could beat plugging it into the Jube stack. But I did read that JS likes the regular 1960 cab with it. I do have a 2012 1960 lead cab with Chinese G12T-75 Celestions. Of course, I’ll try both. But what can I expect?

2. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

The Marshall Joe Satriani signature JVM410HJS is (to my ears) a little loose/flubby on the low end, probably looser on the low end than your Jubilee 2555X. The 410HJS low end may tighten up a bit with different speakers (or different power tubes brands due to different materials, construction methods, and materials), but to my ears it only made a slight difference. On the other hand, you might feel that the low end is not too loose and/or the sound is just what you wanted to hear. Try the 410HJS with as many different speaker types to see what pairing you like best.

Other than that, it's gonna be a case of turning knobs (thankfully the 410HJS has a lot of them) and finding what you like best! Good luck with your tone search. Maybe audio clips when you got it all working for you?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  3. Sir Don

Sir Don Well-Known Member

The amp is designed for use with the 75's, I"ve tried V30's and Greenbacks and can confirm that the 75's sound the best to me through a B cabinet.

4. wmachine

Okay, the Jube speakers are Vintage G12, not the regular V30s, but close enough to make a fair comparison. I mistakenly assumed the Jube speakers would be better.
    Will be fun comparing them.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  5. spacerocker

spacerocker Well-Known Member

That's one opinion....I have always found that well run in V30s sound great with the JVM, so at the end of the day it's probably best to have a listen to both and decide what works best...

6. ShredMojo

ShredMojo New Member

I'm currently using my HJS with a 2x12 Mesa cab with UK V30s. The speakers sound fine to me, and I've never been a huge V30 fan. My first impression of the head was that amp was alittle loose/flubby on the low end playing heavier tones, but after messing with it a month..and quite possibily my ears adapting I'm not finding it that way anymore. The EQ, presence, and res knobs all really make a difference on this amp.

7. JacksonCharvelAddict

JacksonCharvelAddict Well-Known Member

Awesome Bro. I love the HJS. I prefer it to the standard JVM by far.

Deep Purple fan likes this.
  8. wmachine

Thanks. It was your comment in another thread that the HJS is enough different than a Jube that helped me decide to get one. Didn't want redundancy there.

9. JacksonCharvelAddict

Haha. Awesome. Glad to be of help. I really like the Jube but The HJS is on my list as well. I feel like the Jubilee Kills the classic sound and the HJS is more suited for the more modern stuff.

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  10. atarilovesyou

atarilovesyou Active Member

Congrats! I love my HJS. My bucket list items are a set of matching custom Marshall cabinets, as the look of the HJS is slightly different than the JVM (different tolex, piping, etc).

Hope you really enjoy it! Was it used? New? Which footswitch version did it come with? Give us your thoughts once you give it a good run through!

11. Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers Well-Known Member

Correct!

Many artists over the years have been extraordinarily loyal to Marshall Amplification, and to show his gratitude Jim Marshall introduced the Signature Series. The Joe Satriani Signature 1960AJSB speaker cab pairs perfectly with the Joe Satriani Signature JVM410HJS head. It's a standard Marshall 1960A cab with tolled to match the Satriani signature head.

FEATURES
    • Four 12" Celestion G12T-75W speakers
    • 300W
    • Selectable mono/stereo
    :band:

12. wmachine

2014 dated, 2nd owner used. Don't know the footswitch types, it has 6 switches? Did come with custom cover.
    Any subtle differences in the amps over the years?

atarilovesyou likes this.
  13. spacerocker

spacerocker Well-Known Member

if only I had known that before I changed the 4 G12T75 speakers in my 4x12 to V30s!! I'm sure that knowledge would have made the standard 1960 cab sound much better, and I could have saved all that money on V30s!

See that's always been my trouble - I make these stupid decisions using my ears! What I should have done is looked on the internet to see what everyone thought the amp was supposed to be played through.....

Lance Chambers likes this.
  14. ShredMojo

ShredMojo New Member

Is the 1960AJSB just the special blue tolex ones? Did they a make a black 1960 with gold piping to match the head too?

atarilovesyou likes this.
  15. johnfv

johnfv Well-Known Member

Contgrats! The JVM410HJS is an outstanding amp, I love mine. The G12T-75 is not my favorite speaker but the JS is a pretty warm sounding amp so even those should work pretty well for you. I would choose greenbacks or 65s (and I'm a fan of WGS speakers). YMMV...

16. Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers Well-Known Member

Marshall builds the amp.......they have been at it much longer than all of us.

I just bought a 2551AV cab to go along side my standard 1960 cabs. My playground is very noisy.
    :shred::shred2::jam::band:

17. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your new amp, nice score bro

18. Sir Don

Sir Don Well-Known Member

Keep us posted on your progress.

19. masque13

masque13 New Member

I never owned the Satch sig model but I did own one of the original JVM heads when they were first released.

To my ears I always preferred the way it sounded on my stock 1960A cab vs cabs I had loaded with V30’s or greenbacks.

To me the 75’s just seemed to handle the midrange better with that particular head.

20. JacksonCharvelAddict

I would like to try 75s and v30s in an x pattern. I think they would compliment each other quite well at least with the JVM. The Jubilee sounds crappy through 75s.