NAD JVM arrives and Guitar Center Absolutely Sucks A$$

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Adrian R, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Adrian R

Adrian R Well-Known Member

Well, after a long 4 or so days waiting for the new JVM to arrive at my home, it finally showed up today after work. Packaged well, I open the carton, removed the head from it's packaging, found the power cord, head looked in mint condition, but then immediately noticed the footswitch was missing. I looked again through all the bubble wrap and nope, vacant.

They shipped the f'in' head without the footswitch.

I immediately called GC's customer service, and after a very long wait on hold the representative comes back to the phone and tells me that it didn't come with one! LMFAO! I had called earlier in the week talking to one of their employees. I asked the guy to describe the head's condition, and the condition of the pedal. The guy told me it was all good.

No where in ANY of the GC's listing does the product description say the head is equipped or not equipped with the pedal. I explained to her that the head is *nearly* useless (considering it's operation and why you would want it) without the pedal and that Marshall ships the head new with the pedal, and it's proprietary meaning no simple typical channel switching switch would work. In other words, the amp should ship with the pedal, and that it SHOULD be safe to assume it does..especially considering what I just explained and that no where on their site does it indicate either way.

This isn't my first incident with GC's on line store.

They blow, totally. Ordered a 1960AV a couple weeks back that they couldn't ship for nearly a week because they didn't have the shipping material; what? Then when I finally get it...not only did it sound like total shit, but it stunk my whole house up with the smell of nasty cigs and tainted women!

I returned it promptly. Now this.

I now AGAIN, have to drive to a nearby by GC which isn't *nearby* and return this thing.

Incidentally, I did jam through it for a spell. It sounds *decent*, but I could tell it needed some tweaking...bias too hot..etc...but it doesn't sound better then either of my two other amps.

Guitar Center, they just suck. So done with those boneheads.

scozz, Gunner64, ken361 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Sorry dude! That blows. The wait makes the dissapointment 10 times worse.

scozz likes this.
  3. coolidge56

coolidge56 Well-Known Member

My GC can't find the footswitch for an amp they unboxed yesterday.

scozz likes this.
  4. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Thats too bad man, I never have problems with my local store. Next time (if theres a next time) call the actual store that has the gear and buy it over the phone, and have them verify everything for you before you give them your credit card. That sucks I've never had problems with them like that.

5. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

I've learned Guitar Center (i.e. their stores, their websites, their customer service, etc) can be very unreliable in many ways that you would expect a business should be (perhaps it wasn't always this way, and perhaps not all GC stores are unreliable in some way, but I'd say that's typically the case). All you can do is ask the right question(s), don't assume anything, and make sure you know what the return/exchange/refund policy is for anything you buy from GC. I still shop their from time to time, but I go armed with all the info I need and try not to rely on them for much or assume anything.

@OP: If the GC experience was bad, then I wouldn't have much faith in the quality of the particular item you bought, either. The bias could be set too hot as you said, but I also don't think GC did you the favor of checking the bias or even giving you new tubes, which would greatly affect the positive or negative experience. At least you have the option of returning the damn thing, which is what I would've done. I don't know the exact details of your deal, but hopefully you can get all (or most) of you money back.

Mitchell Pearrow and Adrian R like this.
  6. Adrian R

Oh, I'll get all my money back because I never gave them any! Lol.. I used my GC gear card. Two purchases and now they'll get two returns. F'in incompetent doush bags ..

7. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

Guitar center is 1 billion dollars in the red.
    The more they sink, the more it shows.

Hey wait a second, you look just like Sammy Hagar.
    Sammy, is that you?
    I do know about all the rock stars who frequent the Marshall forum...and we do know that they use anonymous names...

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    You "are" Sammy. This is passed the point of fooling me. Untitled.png

Will the real Sammy Hagar please stand up?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  8. Bloodrock

Bloodrock Well-Known Member

So how did it sound compared to the Jubilee you sold?

9. pedecamp

Again I'm sorry you gotta go through this, frustrating I know. So last night browsing on the GC website I came across a Marshall 1936 cab priced well and looked good so I called the Frederick VA store direct and had a guy there check it out closely and describe every detail to me, sounded good so I went for it and bought directly from that guy. Its getting delivered to my local GC where I can go plug it in and demo it before I even walk out with it, done this many times with gear from them. I'll bring a screwdriver so I can open it and make sure the speakers are correct and the thing isnt made out of MDF. I dont know how far your local store is but this is the best way to deal with them.

Heres one that says comes with footswitch, zoom into the date and its 2017 so not that old, priced to sell too. I'd call them and check it out. https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Marshall/JVM205H-50W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head-115732129.gc

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  10. pedecamp

If he was Sammy he would have cut to the chase and bought a brand new one, maybe even bought one of each model LOL.

11. Australian

Australian Green Beret VIP Member

hey yeah . He does too.

12. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Sometimes I just like to fuck with the little millennial know it alls at g.c. by asking them questions I already know the answer to just to hear what kinda bullshit they try to perpetrate. " what does this dsl use for a rectifier tube" and shit like that..

Mitchell Pearrow, GIBSON67 and Geeze like this.
  13. Adrian R

I still have to play through it some more. I am not returning it until tomorrow. It sounds decent, but it's loaded with JJ tubes, and sounds under biased. Reverb sounds great. It didn't 'feel' quite right though. There was some latency in pick attack. Reminded me of the 900 amps. It could probably benefit from a choke. Build quality appeared very good though.

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  14. jchrisf

jchrisf Well-Known Member

A couple of weeks ago I purchased a Splawn Street Rod from GC. The store that had it was the closest one to me but still over an hour away and I couldn't get down there so I had them ship it to me. It arrived the next day. They didn't package it well (they put it in a Peavey Vypyr Pro box without much padding). The thing looked brand new though. However, the loop didn't work. When it was engaged it hissed and popped etc. I called the main number and they arraigned to have UPS pick it up at my house. They got it yesterday. About the only good thing is I at least got to hear what the amp sounded like and now I know what it is like to play a Splawn (for free). I would have kept it if it had worked correctly but now that I know what it sounded like I am on the lookout for another amp that I haven't played. At least you got to try it out for free. They always make good on their end by refunding me my money. I usually have to call them up to get the shipping refunded.

Last time I ordered a head and it arrived without the pedal even though the pedal was in the picture on their site. I was going to call up and try to get the pedal but the amp kept switching channels on its own and didn't work correctly so I sent it back. They didn't refund the shipping coming or going at first but I called and explained that it was broken and they refunded it all. I can't really complain about that.. even though that amp didn't work correctly it worked good enough for me to know I didn't like it. Because it was broken I got a full refund, otherwise I would have had to eat the shipping when I sent it back.

Before buying the Splawn I almost got the JVM. Something just doesn't sound raw enough about that amp to me from what I have heard on YT. I've been curious to hear what you think about it. Hopefully you can get a feel for it before you take it back.

15. Adrian R

Dude, appreciate the efforts you've described here, but I am done with GC. I stopped doing business with them awhile ago for many reasons I wish not to get into. I just can't believe that after at least 5 years of buying anything from them..I make two purchases from their online store within two weeks and both of them were bad. I will not support such an incompetent company. Besides, there are tons of 205s out there...I can get a deal just as good with a bit of patience.

Mitchell Pearrow and pedecamp like this.
  16. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to hear that. I'v said it before and I'll say it again, I don't understand why anyone would use GC. They don't have any people that really know what they are doing, the prices suck, and all the shit is low end or untested junk. They don't even test the used stuff coming in, I'v watched them take stuff in and put it right in the pile..... does it work good? You bet!

Adrian R likes this.
  17. Adrian R

There are many options today as well. I just cannot believe the enormous used inventory they have. People are nutz trading gear in with them. They'll offer you like twenty cents on the dollar, and try make a 400% profit. Done with them...

18. pedecamp

I don't blame you. Did you get a good feel on what the amp can do? What did you think?

19. Robus

Robus Active Member

How can I make my head smell like tainted women?

20. Adrian R

Yeah, how is that possible? Lol