Nad: Finally! Marshall Origin 50 Head

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by tolm, Jul 24, 2018.

1. tolm

tolm Active Member

Finally! After a long series of delays my Marshall Origin 50 head arrived so I went to pick it up today. Fit and finish all looks great and I gave it a test run with my Zilla 2x12 before taking it home.

[​IMG]

First impressions are that it sounds great - even better than the 1x12 combo I had previously. I’m putting that down to the custom ordered cab - that’s been sitting waiting for the head for almost 2 months! It’s a 700mm x 600mm diagonal 2x12 with an oval ported rear panel and loaded with a couple of Neo Creambacks. Gives a great spread of sound with an overall warmer and “fatter” tone vs the 1x12 combo, which I’m very pleased about.

Just in time for rehearsing with the band and gigging in early August. :)

2. The Ozzk

The Ozzk Well-Known Member

Right on man! Keep us posted, I'm very curious about how the Origin behaves live. :yesway:

tolm likes this.
  3. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Excellent gear tolm.

tolm likes this.
  4. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

Congrats...nice looking set up.

FYI, of course it will sound better than the combo, your new cab has quality speakers in it versus that POS they stuck in the combo.

Also, when you get a chance, change out those nasty stock tubes for some good quality ones and the tone will be even better!!!!!

I changed out the speaker and tubes in my combo and the tone is BLISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

solarburnDSL50, tolm and BanditPanda like this.
  5. BanditPanda

If you have the possibility tolm love to hear some clips of that rig.
    BP

The Ozzk and tolm like this.
  6. tolm

tolm Active Member

Yeh, for sure the speakers in the cab are a cut above the stock combo stuff so I was expecting it to sound “better”. I was particularly aiming for the oversized/ported cab to add a bit of low end - I could get the combo sounding how I liked but had to “darken” the tone control settings quite a bit to cut through the inherent brightness of the amp.

I was, therefore, very happy that the new set-up has a balanced, warm tone at 12-o-clock EQ settings but as you crank the gain that “inherent brightness” keeps the overdrive sounding “tight” and not mushy at all. Great result and kind of a nice confirmation that I did the right thing (for me!) by switching to the head/cab setup.

Will see if I can get something recorded when I’m next in the rehearsal room with my band - should be early August!

7. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

Finally got to try the origin 20c. at my local music store. Sounded great........ for 1-2 minutes.lol, about what I expected. With pull boost almost dimed and mast.almost dimed wasn't as loud as I thought it would be. vol started fluctuating up and down. Changed guitar cords but didn’t help. Maybe a tube. Sounded to me just like the Australian guys demo. My concern is it’s not loud enough but if using a 20h and Cab or 50w h and cab it may lose that saturated plexi grind at low volumes that you get with the 1-12 speaker.

The Ozzk likes this.
  8. tolm

tolm Active Member

Knocking the power on the 50W’er down to “low” (which I think is about 1W) seems to work nicely for cranking the master without deafening your neighbours. Certainly enough “grind” for classic rock, AC/DC, that sort of thing.

I’m not sure if the “mid” (10W) setting will be loud enough for band use but realistically I use a variety of OD pedals live so will be using the 50W mode for a cleaner base tone with a decent wedge of headroom.

MarshallDog likes this.
  9. BanditPanda

Hey tolm...just off topic for a second.... how's the Bonamassa Firebird?
    BP

tolm likes this.
  10. K2JLX

K2JLX Well-Known Member

That’s exactly how I use mine. It sounds great; I did a little experimentation and put a 1966 Mullard ECC83 (GE marked) in V1 and it’s just awesome.

Attached Files:

Georgiatec and tolm like this.
  11. George Marshall

George Marshall New Member

I just got a 50H also with 2 MG412 cabs, top and bottom to make a stack but the head will only run one cab at a time. Is this right? Both cabs are 8 ohms and I plug them into both 8 ohm jacks it turns off one or the other. I have switched everything around and it automatically cuts off which ever cab is plugged in first. Anyone else have this problem? Both speaker cables are good and not the problem. Thanks for any help.

12. K2JLX

K2JLX Well-Known Member

Both cabs together make a 4 ohm load impedance, the amp only supports two 16 ohm cabs together making an 8 ohm load to the output transformer. - Unplug the second one

Michael Roe likes this.
  13. George Marshall

It automatically turns it off. I thought about that but then why does the head have 2 8 ohm jacks if it won't run both at the same time???

14. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

You can only run two 16 ohm cabs in those 8 ohm jacks. They are wired in parallel. Two 16=8. What you are doing is putting a 4 ohm load on it and it can fry your amp.
    BTW, you can plug only one 8 ohm cab into either of the 8 ohm jacks. If yours only works at 8 ohms with one jack you have a turd (Known problem with these amps). Send it back!

K2JLX likes this.
  15. George Marshall

OK Thanks!!!!

16. George Marshall

Is there a post on this problem somewhere so I can ge more info? thanks much!!

17. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

I don't know of an exact post but I believe I was the first one to notice it here. Mine was on the 20 watter. When I plugged in both 16 ohm cabs into the 8 ohm jacks only one speaker worked. It has been a common issue and others have had the same problem. Only fix is to send it back where you purchased it from.

tolm likes this.
  18. George Marshall

Thanks again. I found all the info. Your 100% right. The back panel in the manual doesn't match the back panel on the head. It shows 2x16 OHM for both 8 OHM jacks but won't run both so no chance of hurting the amp unless I run a lesser load on any one jack. I hope Marshall offers a recall so I can just take it to my local guy for a fix instead of shipping all the way back to NJ.

19. MaskingApathy

MaskingApathy Well-Known Member

Can you show us a photo of your stack? Did you get the new MG cabs with the gold piping?

20. Jason Fieldhouseespk

Jason Fieldhouseespk Well-Known Member

...... wtf.... why couldn't you just give him advice on what to do, rather than been so dismissive of the amp.....

Ok, yes it is a known issue that Marshall have been sorting out, your amp is not a 'turd' just is from one of the first lines that have gone out and has the switching output jacks, if the shop you bought from isn't aware of the problem you can make them aware and ask them to take it back, contact Marshall, a get it fixed, the new lines are now coming out with the fixed jacks....

Great amps though!

Nice big long thread on The Gear Page of everything and anything you need to know.

Only turd around here are the negative nobodies!

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.