NAD coming....

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by ampeq, Sep 9, 2019.

1. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

OK, I just ordered this little number,
    http://guitarampsusa.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=103&product_id=72
    It will take about 7 weeks from what I'v been told, and worth the wait. This is one of the best sounding "British" style amp's I'v ever heard, also one of the best made. All hand built with very good components, and here's the kicker... $1100 brand new shipped! It's a modded Plexi 50w single channel amp, and it's pretty versatile for the type of amp it is. Some of you guy's have one's like this, does anyone have this one? I sure hope I like it when it gets here.

*I forgot to mention, I love the bias system on these. Why doesn't everyone do this.

JAC, J Saw, wntbtw and 4 others like this.
  2. Wolvieberzerker

Wolvieberzerker Well-Known Member

I don’t have that model. But I have 3 Ceriatones. 2204, 2202, and a 1987 plexi. Awesome fucking amps!! You’ll love that amp. The Chupacabra will probably be my next one at some point. I’ve watched all the demos on YouTube. Not a bad one on there.

MarshallDog and tce63 like this.
  3. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Thats cool, I'm looking forward to your review and maybe some clips. :yesway:

4. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

How is the bias system different?

tce63 likes this.
  5. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

It has pots on the outside of the chassis to set the bias, so you don’t need to take it apart and stick something in live wires. Also on the rear panel you can check it anytime you want.

EndGame00, MarshallDog and tce63 like this.
  6. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I hope I picked the right one, it’s hard to pick one from all they have. I want regular Plexi tones along with hot rod Plexi tones. Couldn’t decide between the Yeti and the Chuba. Still not sure but the guy at Guitarampusa said he was told the Chuba 50 will do everything the Yeti will do, but the Yeti won’t do what the Chuba will do. ??

7. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Great sounding amps, congrats man! :thumb:

Sound like a nice deal too!

8. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I think they are the deal of the amp world. It reminds me of buying Carvin stuff, it's almost like getting the "inside track" on the deal, to good to be true type stuff. To get a hand made amp of this quality with this sound you would dump at least $2500 through most others, and it still won't sound as good. Plus these have all the little bugs fixed in them from learning over the years, and they are consistent. To find a Plexi you really like you would go through a few to get a good one, mod it, and hope nothing happens to it. These are all the same so if something happens to the one you love, just order another, done.

scozz, tce63, JAC and 1 other person like this.
  9. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

Congrats man nice amp!!! I have looked at a few of their models. I agree, hard to decide. If I ever need or want another amp if will be some flavor of Ceritone for sure and the prices are great!

Now the wait begins...ugh!!!!

scozz and tce63 like this.
  10. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

All manufacturers should do this!

11. wntbtw

wntbtw Active Member

I have both the 20w Yeti ['Son of Yeti'] & also a 20w Chupacabra custom-made by Nik & Ceriatone. They`re both awesome amps--the Chupacabra is more aggressive & brighter--but the Yeti is awesome too! You will love your new Chupacabra @ampeq!

tce63 likes this.
  12. J Saw

J Saw Well-Known Member

Congrats! Great price. I've been looking at the Gargoyle. Looks like free shipping. Can't beat that.
    I've had the Yeti 50 for over a year and it's a solid amp!
    Congrats again and thanks for the US link!

tce63 likes this.
  13. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Thanks, I sure hope so. What one do you like better? I was told the Chuba would do what the Yeti would do, but the Yeti won’t do what the Chuba will do. Is that what you find? I still don’t know if I picked the right one.

wntbtw and tce63 like this.
  14. wntbtw

wntbtw Active Member

I bought the 20w Yeti first [March 2018]--it`s a great amp but wasn`t quite bright enough for me. A few months ago I exchanged emails with Nik & he told me he could build me a 20w Chupacabra so I ordered it & I am glad that I did. And it sounds exactly like it`s described--brighter & more aggressive that the Yeti--so yes it can basically do what the Yeti can do & the Yeti is not as bright nor as aggressive as the Chupacabra. I am happy that I have both amps because now being able to compare them together, I have a new appreciation for the Yeti because it`s a killer amp just like the Chupacabra--just a little different in tone & aggression--but on it`s own sounds great too! I am glad I own both! You ordered the right amp--you will love it as it has so many great features & tones! I have a couple sound clips of the 2 amps in this thread--maybe you have already read it & listened to the videos--here`s the link:
    http://www.marshallforum.com/threads/nad-ceriatone-20w-chupacabra.108970/#post-1863664

15. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member

Congrats on a great amp, a friend has one of the Ceriatones, can´t remember model, but it sounds amazing.

wntbtw likes this.
  16. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

That amp sounded great in your earlier clip. Sort of want one....

wntbtw likes this.
  17. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Thats where I saw them. Thank you. It seems like the Yeti is more articulate in those clips but it's so hard to tell. Almost like it has a "clearer" voicing or more high mids, something like that. I hembed and hoard over both for ever and still don't know which one I like. What made me pick the Chuba was the guy telling me it could do the Yeti stuff but the Yeti couldn't really do the Chuba stuff. (That came from the guy in Steely Dan that bought both in 50w) Is that how you feel about them? I also couldn't decide what wattage to get, the 20w is fine but I'm usually a 100w guy. I split the difference and went with 50w for now but I have a feeling this won't be my last amp from them. One of my fears is, when you get a "modded" amp it usually ends up with more drive, which is great, but sometimes you lose on the other end. I still want it to run clean, clear, and articulate with just the edge of break up, then go into a real good crunch, then a singing sustain. If it can't do the 1st 2 the last one is just a pedal. As a rule I don't really use super high distortion other than some leads, so clean crunch to heavy crunch is very important to me. Those 20w amps you have are the best deal of any new amp I'v ever seen.
    Because I like the Carvin X100b ('89 era) so much, I may see if I can get them to build a point to point version of that with a couple mods I would like to see.

wntbtw and paul hancher like this.
  18. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Thanks man, they have another one now called the Gargoyle which is another 50w modded Plexi type. Again different from the rest, but seems more of a metal amp to me. I like that 2202 they have also, as well as the other 20w amp's they make.

wntbtw and tce63 like this.
  19. paul hancher

paul hancher Well-Known Member

congrats on the amps. Nik has some cool stuff. i got his 6g6-b head with a half power switch and love it.

the one that really has my attention is the 2202 hw which is a jcm800 preamp with the 20 watt power section. not quite the gain and drive as the yeti and chuba but it cleans up with volume knob which is important to me at the moment.

wntbtw likes this.
  20. wntbtw

wntbtw Active Member

@ampeq yes the Chupacabra can basically get the Yeti`s tones but not the opposite as the Yeti is darker than the Chupacabra. You will like the 3 way ERA switch as it has 3 'voicings'--here is how it is described on Ceriatone`s web site:
    'ERA: provides 3 tonal options. You can think of this covering 3 different decades of tone. In the middle position, the amplifier will be cleaner, less compressed, and very woody. We consider this our late ‘60s mode, as it very accurately captures the sound of original Plexis. The right position is our ‘80s voicing. This adds saturation and compression, and is reminiscent of ‘80s modded Plexis coming out of LA. This voicing is great for hard rock, thrash metal, etc. The left position is our modern voicing. This adds even more saturation and compression, and also smoothes the top end response thus preventing any harsh overtones with this amount of gain. We love this mode for all things metal.

'NOTE-Just like the original “Jose mods”, these different modes will impact the taper response of the MASTER control. In other words, some settings might seem louder than others. In reality, equal volumes are happening sooner or later on the control. The ‘60s mod hits stage volume soonest, and the Modern voicing hits stage volumes latest. Don’t be afraid to turn up the MASTER control in the ‘80s and Modern modes!'

As it states above concerning the 3-way ERA switch, the 'Plexi`s' volume is the loudest. The volume is lower when switched to the next 'voicing' [80`s voicing]--and also gain is added. And there is more 'volume loss' in the 3rd voicing ['modern' voicing] and also even more gain is added. So you will have to increase the MV to compensate for the volume loss when using either of the 2 stronger gain voicings. Also, just like any NMV Marshall, as the overall volume is increased so also is the gain increased & therefore the 'Plexi' setting may be your choice for loud volume playing because you will achieve nice gain when you crank it up!

paul hancher and tce63 like this.