NAD "Ceriatone Chupacabra"

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by ampeq, Oct 25, 2019.

1. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Maybe he thinks the Marshall logo is worth more? I think mine was $1075 brand new. Some will pay just so they don’t have to wait 2 months, and if it’s in perfect shape it really is worth it.

jchrisf likes this.
  2. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

I'm getting a real Jones for for the wreck express clone now....

3. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I just went and checked out the C-Wreck, I never knew how good they sound. Such a simple system but works so nice, I now see why people want them. God I wish I could go to this place and play all the goodies.

4. Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers Well-Known Member

:funny::cheers:

5. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

A bit under the radar for a lot of folk I think.

6. Fierce_Carrot

Fierce_Carrot Member

I owned one of Ceriatone's first amp offerings about 10 years ago. I had always wanted to play a TRAINWRECK, and for those of you who don't know about them, these are legendary amps and can bring as much money as a Dumble. I ordered the "Liverpull" model which was EL84 tube and to say it kicked my ass was an understatement. From the quality of the build, and they set the bar on quality, to the tone of the amp, the amp was absolutely 5 stars in every way. There was a delay in getting the amp finished and to meet the date Nik told me it would ship, he sent the amp 2 day all the way from Malaysia to Iowa and at no extra cost! He had to have lost his ass on it with just the shipping costs figured in!

The amp was pure monster in every way and I am really surprised the 4 Trainwreck inspired amps aren't more popular. The C Wreck is based on the design of Brad Paisley's authentic Trainwreck that he used to take on tour with him and was then cloned by Dr. Z. The amps go from crystal clear cleans to just bone jarring crunch with a twist of your guitar volume.

I just ordered my Son of Yeti and now the 6 week wait begins.

wntbtw, Wolvieberzerker and jchrisf like this.
  7. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Congrats! And thanks for the info, purpleplexi is looking at the Wrecks now and I'm sure this is good news to him. I'm going to be ordering another myself, I'm having trouble deciding between the 2202 & 20w Chupa though. I love my new Chupacabra 50w, it's super versatile for a modded Marshall type and would be very happy with a 20w version to take places. But I also like the 800ish stuff and from what I have read the 2202 does a better job than the 800 itself. I have a little time, I'm selling a small combo amp I don't use to pay for it so I'll call Nik and see what he says. wntbtw has both SOY and a 20w Chupa, on his word I went with the Chupa and it's the best recommendation I ever had. You'll love that SOY, in fact I have not found one bad word about any of the 20w amps they make. Everyone just seems to love them.

8. Solid State

Solid State Well-Known Member

It's all cool stuff and at Nik's prices I feel like buying any one of his amps would start cascade of GAS for others. Where are you reading comments about his amps? I was all over the 2202 but couldn't really find anyone that seemed like they owned one and then ones that claimed they did were the "yeah, I've got one, it's great" comment that doesn't really mean much to me.

9. wntbtw

wntbtw Well-Known Member

Yes, I own the 20w Yeti [Son of Yeti] & a custom-order 20w Chupacabra--ordered the Yeti first [early last year] & then earleir this year I ordered the 20w Chupacabra as I was intereted in it`s description--'brighter & more aggressive' than the Yeti. Other than that, the 2 circuits are very similar to each other. Because the 20w Chupacabra was a custom-order, Nik had to use the SOY head cab & so they look the same--I asked him if he could use black knobs for the Chupacabra. Both amps are awesome, esp. at low volumes & I`m glad I own them both! They both have many tonal options--so many varied & different tones, also different voicings, & gain levels available--and they all sound great.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
  10. jchrisf

jchrisf Well-Known Member

From a TGP member I asked a question too

Solid State likes this.
  11. FourT6and2

FourT6and2 Active Member

That looks like a Yeti. Same thing really, but the cathodes are 1.0uF not .68.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
  12. FourT6and2

FourT6and2 Active Member

Well, it's a Log pot. So 50% would not be at 12:00 if anybody was wondering. More like 3:00, which would be around 500K resistance (close enough to the 470K divider in a stock Marshall).

13. FourT6and2

FourT6and2 Active Member

The Chupa and Yeti are nice sounding amps. At the very least, though, they need to have the missing 10K B+ dropping resistor put in between the PI and CF nodes. Ceriatone says this was an intentional omission but it really seems like a mistake. Without that dropping resistor, the two stages are coupled and share filtering. No bueno. Lots of other things can be changed to improve the sound of these amps, but this one thing right here is IMO a must since it's an actual design/engineering mistake.

EDIT:
    If you add this 10K dropper, you should probably also reduce V1a plate resistor to 330K to compensate for the slight voltage drop.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  14. Solid State

Solid State Well-Known Member

Any examples where we can hear the difference between an amp that has that resistor and one that doesn't? What improvement are you claiming it would add?

15. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I too would like to see this improvement in action. I doubt they made a mistake and then keep making the same mistake. I called on a couple things and asked about them, they always have a reason they do what they do, but they are also willing to change something if you would like it done.

16. FourT6and2

FourT6and2 Active Member

There are plenty of books available on the subject if you want the specifics. But B+ dropping resistors are fundamental parts of proper amp design and are needed for proper power supply regulation. These amps are JCM800/JTM45-style clones. There are filter caps for each individual stage of the amp. This particular resistor decouples the phase inverter and the cathode follower. Without it, you have two stages sharing the same electrolytic filter caps, which defeats the purpose of having multiple caps... This prevents the amp from properly filtering out ripple and providing proper reservoir current for each stage. There's no point in having two separate filter caps for the PI and CF and then NOT including this resistor. Installing this resistor will make the amp feel more stout/strong, help reduce ripple current, reduce flubby bass, and prevent ghosting and noise. You probably won't hear it in a before/after clip on YouTube. If you know how an amp feels with more or less filtering, then you should understand. For what it's worth, all the other clones Ceriatone offers have this resistor—including the newer ones like the Gargoyle and Molecular (which are the same circuit as the Chupa/Yeti) as well as all the other Marshall clones.

It's easy enough to install to see if you like it. Just a suggestion is all. Try it and see what happens. These dropping resistors are fundamental to how tube amps work. Look at any Marshall schematic and you will see a dropping resistor between each stage in the amp.

You may argue, "Well leaving it out is just a design choice and the builder likes how it sounds." Well that's like building a V8 engine and leaving out two spark plugs so the engine only runs on 6 cylinders. The engine will still run and the car will still get you where you want to go. But you aren't getting full power.

EDIT:
    If you install this 10K dropper (2-watt, wire wound), you may also want to reduce V1a plate resistor to 330K to compensate for the slight voltage drop.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
    jchrisf likes this.
  17. FourT6and2

FourT6and2 Active Member

And for those interested, here's some more info on Rob Robinette's page: https://robrobinette.com/How_Amps_Work.htm#Power_Supply
    Scroll down to find this section. It's about a Fender Champ circuit, but the principles of power supply design are the same in any amp:

"The B+ DC voltage flows to the output transformer's primary winding and to the circuit board's three large filter/reservoir capacitors, C3, C4 and C5 and two voltage dropping resistors, R10 & R11. These resistors and capacitors form RC (resistance capacitance) low pass filters that take the lumpy, pulsing DC output of the rectifier tube and smooth it out--the smoother the better. Any waves or ripples left over in the DC power would be added to our audio signal and heard as hum in the preamp and power tubes. These big capacitors also function as current reservoirs that help feed the amp during high demand.

The voltage dropping resistors separate the amp's power into three power supply nodes, B+1, B+2 and B+3. The 360 volts DC from the rectifier is B+1 then it's stepped down to 325 volts DC (B+2) then to 250 volts DC (B+3). The 360 volts DC B+1 direct from the rectifier is fed to the output transformer's primary input which flows on to the power tube plates. The 325 volts DC B+2 is connected to the power tube pin 4--the screen grid. The 250 volts DC B+3 is used to power the preamp tube. The filter capacitors and voltage dropping resistors also decouple the three B+ power nodes to prevent interaction, feedback and oscillation between the preamp stages and power tube."

jchrisf likes this.
  18. jchrisf

jchrisf Well-Known Member

@FourT6and2 I've seen you post here and other amp building websites. You do some of the nicest looking wiring I've ever seen... the inside of your amps are beautiful. What do you think of the Ceriatone 2202? I'm just trying to teach myself amp building/modding and my main goal is to build a JCM 800 amp in high and low watts. I was thinking the Ceriatone 2202 kit might be a good place to start on that type of circuit when I learn more. What would you recommend for a first amp build?

19. Springfield Scooter

Springfield Scooter Well-Known Member

Is your amp auto-bias?

20. Springfield Scooter

Springfield Scooter Well-Known Member

"OLD Chupa"?

What do you mean by that?

You got rid of it?

Why?