NAD: Ceriatone 20w Chupacabra

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by wntbtw, Aug 20, 2019.

1. wntbtw

wntbtw Active Member

Had Nik`s company recently build me this custom-made 20w Chupacabra. It matches up well with my 20w Yeti [Son of Yeti] as well as my JCM 800 2204 combo.
    [​IMG]

2. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

How's it sound?

Nice SG BTW.

tce63 and wntbtw like this.
  3. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Are they both the same? Does one sound different than the other? I'v been looking at some of their stuff lately, modded 50w Plexi's, great bang for the buck. From what I'v read they are one of the best Marshall sounding amp's available.

wntbtw likes this.
  4. wntbtw

wntbtw Active Member

Thank you! The 2 Ceriatones both sound great I think--the Chupacabra is brighter & more aggressive than the Yeti though they can be dialed to sound similar. And thank you about the SG--it looks better in the picture than it does in real life. It`s just a stock SG Std--plays real nice though. Here`s a couple of low volume comparison clips I did of the 2 amps--the Yeti is 1st in both clips followed by the Chupacabra. I could`ve & should`ve had it dialed to be more aggressive but there`s still a difference in how they each sound. PS: same speaker used for both amps--WGS British Lead 80.

5. royslead

royslead Well-Known Member

Cool- happy new amp day!

wntbtw likes this.
  6. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I think I like the Yeti best, buy both are good. I'v got my eye on a modded plexi by these guys, to me they are pretty cheap at around $1200. Most amps I look at are pushing $2500! From what I'v read so far they have it all over the Marshall version of the 2 amps and at a much better price. I wish I could play one somewhere but I'v never even seen one in real life.

wntbtw likes this.
  7. wntbtw

wntbtw Active Member

They are both great amps--they are described by Ceriatone as 'Hot-Rodded Plexis'! Their main feature is the 3-way ERA switch. Here is how it is described on Ceriatone`s website [located within their online manual for both amps]:
    "ERA provides 3 tonal options.You can think of this covering 3 different decades of tone. In the middle position, the amplifier will be cleaner, less compressed, and very woody. We consider this our late ‘60s mode, as it very accurately captures the sound of original Plexis. The right position is our ‘80s voicing. This adds saturation and compression, and is reminiscent of ‘80s modded Plexis coming out of LA. This voicing is great for hard rock, thrash metal, etc. The left position is our modern voicing. This adds even more saturation and compression, and also smoothes the top end response thus preventing any harsh overtones with this amount of gain. We love this mode for all things metal."

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    tce63 and MarshallDog like this.
  8. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

Congrats!!!!

I think I like the Yeti a touch more but both sound great and great job on the comparison video.

I dont know really anything about Ceritone amps. Can they build these in a 1X12 Combo, how long does it take to get one once the order is placed?

BTW, I have a JCM 800 4010 (2204) and love it, its one amazing little amp and loud as hell!

solarburnDSL50, wntbtw and tce63 like this.
  9. wntbtw

wntbtw Active Member

They are a great company that make GREAT amps! I have been reading about them for almost 13 years now on the various forums & very little, if at all has anything bad been said about them--99.999+% great reputation! I had no hesitation when I ordered both amps! I always wanted to order either a 50w NMV [JMP] or a 50w MV 2204 from them but alredy had my 2204 1x12 combo so i never did. Recently had read alot about their hot-rodded 20w Yeti and so early last year I ordered it with no hesitation whatsoever! 100% of my playing is in the bedroom/computer room at low low volumes & the 20w Yeti w/ it`s 3-way ERA switch gives me really great hot-rodded Marshall tones at those low quiet volumes! The middle position of the ERA switch is the Plexi mode--it`s the loudest and also delivers the cleanest tone of the 3 available modes [it does 'break up' nicely as the volume is increased]. However when you switch the ERA mode to the 80`s hot-rodded position, not only is more gain added but also the volume DECREASES [ie: isn`t as loud] and then when you position the ERA toggle switch to the Modern mode even more gain is added as well as the volumne is lower even more. The 2 clips i posted above is in that mode--the 'modern' mode/ the lowest volume mode. Of course if you`re in a band situation you just increase the overall master volume to compensate or order either the 50w or 100w version as Ceriatone also has those also! Very cool amps & a very cool company!! Also if you order thru their US distributor you don`t pay for shipping. [PS: I have no affiliation w/ Ceriatone or Guitar Amps whatsoever--I am just a huge fan!]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    solarburnDSL50 and tce63 like this.
  10. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

Problem is , they have so many great amps it's hard to choose. Now they have a friedman brown eye clone.The ah 50/100.

11. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

I agree. I went to their website and man o man like a kid in a toy Store! Check out the 50W Plexi. They have like 5 options for filtering...how would one choose? Great prices also.

12. steveb63

steveb63 Well-Known Member

I've had a Ceriatone version of the 2061 for approx eleven years. Not one hic-up, great value, quality parts and work.

And customer service like you won't believe. Dudes half way around the World and I don't think I ever waited for a return email longer than four hours. Nik @ Ceriatone is the best in my estimation.

Good luck.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  13. 2203xman

2203xman Well-Known Member

Very cool amps.They would look good in some Plexi type boxes.You reminded me how much I like wait'n on the bus.Keep collecting.

solarburnDSL50 and wntbtw like this.
  14. wntbtw

wntbtw Active Member

Yeah--thanks! I like them both! Their circuits are very similar but enough to make a difference in the tone & aggression. I agree that it would be nice if they were housed in a nice Marshall-type head cab. Nik told me that it would cost alot more to custom-make that type of cab. The tubes point down on these amps which of course isn`t popular but 'no big deal' for me. I`m done collecting--too old now & I need to practice alot more. The 3 amps pictured in the first post is all that I need--I now need to work at becoming a better guitarist! Thanks again! PS: I wish that @solarburnDSL50 would have commented as I know he`s a fan of the 20w Yeti & I believe, with it`s aggression, he would love the 20w Chupacabra even more as I believe it fits his style!

2203xman and solarburnDSL50 like this.
  15. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member

Yes. 100%!

Either.

I would have so much joy playing them. My kinda amps.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    wntbtw and steveb63 like this.
  16. solarburnDSL50

Fux sure. Vibe is there in spades.

bend the D on the A string while playing whole lot of love riff. Jus a bit. Bend up.:cheers:

wntbtw, steveb63 and 2203xman like this.
  17. solarburnDSL50

Oh...and I'm jelly! HNAD!

wntbtw and steveb63 like this.
  18. steveb63

steveb63 Well-Known Member

You're not the only one brotha, love Nik @ Ceriatone's work, big, big fan!

wntbtw and solarburnDSL50 like this.
  19. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

Love that edge they have without it getting spikey. I could have fun with either of those.:applause: