Nad: Bugera 1960 Infinium

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by Marker, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Marker

Marker Well-Known Member

Time will tell if it's reliable or not.
    My Marshall TSL 100 bought in 1998 was Marshall's flagship at the time and came with a bias drift problem, eating power tubes due to bad circuit board material.

There's nothing that doesn't breaks down; I could tell you that my job is fixing things that shouldn't break down, even stuff that costs more than a million dollars without getting into details. Rule #1 on everything you buy - wait and wait until you buy it, the first units always come with problems that are latter fixed.

The Bugera 1960 Infinium has been out for many years already and I'm sure they've learned with the faults they've encountered and changed what needed to be changed.

This amp sounds phenomenal with Greenbacks (Marshall 425A), the price tag is just another big plus. I would buy it for it's tone only - pure punch that shakes the walls, screams everything that you do on the guitar / no stiffness at all, it's the most responsive amp I have (on pair with my Vox AC30). If you like bends, sustain, ringing notes, bite, crunch it's there - Cream / Clapton instant woman tone, Alvin Lee, Jimi, Page, Angus, Slash, Moore, Green, everything's there.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  2. slide222

slide222 Well-Known Member

and ther'e speaker cabinets are great value too I have 2 off them under my vintage 55 head, the red series70 watt's and sound well good - I have thought about playing my vintage modern through the bugera cabinets as I reckon they'll go together well but haven't got round to it yet

3. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member

Question.... I read some great reviews on the Sweetwater site. There were a couple comments about you can just switch tubes and it will auto bias.

The auto bias feature is a great one. Does it really work?

4. JimiRules

JimiRules Well-Known Member

I didn't want to insinuate that I thought the amp was junk. I was just worried about the stories I read. If I get one I plan on gigging it and I need it to be reliable. But I agree, I probably shouldn't put much stock in horror stories. I've read many about my YJM and mine has ran like a champ for 5+ years.

5. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member

I've got 2 6CA7's, One 6550 and a 5881 in my 1990I. I've done some other not so strange combos too.

It's plug and play with power tubes as long as they are the same pin outs. Mix or match.

Deep Purple fan and Marker like this.
  6. Deep Purple fan

Thanks. Appreciate the info.

solarburnDSL50 likes this.
  7. Marker

Marker Well-Known Member

LA Guns is endorsing Bugera and Tracii Guns used the 1960 Infinium on their latest album and live.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  8. Deep Purple fan

Awesome news. I can’t wait to see some videos of the band on the road with their Bugera amps. Most vids I see he usually using Marshall or Orange amps.

9. Marker

Marker Well-Known Member

Keep on loving this amp.
    The Infinium technology works great - I was playing it cranked with attenuator and noticed a lack of volume; I checked the Infinium lights on the back and the LED number 3 was tuned on - indded the Bugera EL34 power tube number 3 is dead already after a week of playing the amp cranked everyday for around 2h.

Replaced it with a JJ EL34 and everything's fine again - no fuses were blown, no bias set was needed, no dramas, just plug and play.

This thing is a tone monster, incredible bite of the fat crunch powerfull tone you get.

Shane Sipe and solarburnDSL50 like this.
  10. slide222

slide222 Well-Known Member

I might have to get one of them ,sounds good

11. solarburnDSL50

$400 new and amp sounds great. Such a good deal. Support intact.

Buy one!:D

Shane Sipe and slide222 like this.
  12. solarburnDSL50

My 1990I boosted by my fav pedal builder. Green channel and then red. This is a 4100 clone.

Mystic38, Deep Purple fan and Marker like this.
  13. Shane Sipe

Shane Sipe Member

14ish hours cranked into an attenuator is one hell of a torture test for any tube. If the Infinium detects a tube fault, it turns that tube off and illuminates its LED on the back. It also turns off the other tube in that pair so the amp can keep playing. If it detects a fault in the remaining pair it does the same again, however since there is no longer a good pair of tubes remaining to play, it blinks the front StandBy as well.
    It's just a tool, buddy...the tone monster is YOU.
    PM me, I'll shoot you a new quad of tubes.

14. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member Premium Member

That's incredible..can't fault that customer service. He didn't even ask, and he received..:applause:

Mystic38 and slide222 like this.
  15. Shane Sipe

Shane Sipe Member

You want the Plexi, or the JCM, etc. But either you just can't afford it right now or maybe just can't justify the outrageous cost. Grab the Bugera, it'll keep you entertained in the meantime. They nail that tone you're after, if there's a hickup just let me know. I get it, it's why I'm here too.

Jay76, Mystic38, jeffb and 6 others like this.
  16. solarburnDSL50

I've got both. I enjoy both. Plexi and 1960I.

17. solarburnDSL50

More Bugera...

Marker likes this.
  18. Marker

Marker Well-Known Member

That's great to know how the Infinium technology works!

Should I be concerned if during a gig a tube gets faulty (and the Infinium disables the other paired tube) and I don't adjust the impedance to half on the back? For example, if I have 4 tubes at 16 Ohm then when working with just 2 tubes I think I should adjust the impedance on the rear of the amp at 8 Ohm - is it ok to keep playing with it set at 16 Ohm till the gig ends?

Also I've read that the Infinium technology sets the bias of all tubes at 34 mA - is there anyway to adjust this value internally?

I love this amp and since I bought it it's the only amp that gets played; I do love all my other Marshall's but this thing is a tone beast, at least as good as any of my other amps, a different flavour of the britisth tone that I really enjoy.

The only thing I wasn't a fan of were the knobs; I've just changed them, it looks perfect now!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  19. Shane Sipe

Shane Sipe Member

starts editing post to "You want TWO Plexi's, or TWO JCM's, etc...."
    then realizes Solarburn is a madman, and grabs a beer instead.

20. Shane Sipe

Shane Sipe Member

Technically yes you should move the impedance selector to half of what is actually connected, just as you describe. You would have noticed much of the perceived volume drop return. Will it be ok if you don't? Absolutely. Just look at all the confusion about removing two tubes to reduce power; many people remove two tubes without changing the impedance selector without encountering any problems. Fact is moving the impedance to 1/2 actually counters the desired result of removing the two tubes in the first place.

Those transformers are wound by Bugera, and they are beasts. I've never encountered a failed one. Solarburn can back that up, his survived a shorted attenuator.
    It'll take a one position mismatch all day. It'll probably do two positions as well but I really can't recommend that. Please don't run your 16Ω cab with the amp set to 4Ω. ;)