Nad...blue Marshall 6100...but It Doesn't Work. Suggestions Please?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by islandjimmy, Jan 11, 2019.

1. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

Bingo. This is why i asked if there was 15 pos/neg at the channel switching opamps.

mickeydg5 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  2. anitoli

No, half power lifts the cathode connection from two of the tubes ground hookup, triode changes the point where the screen grid draws B+ from.

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  3. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

this reminds me off a mesa express i had..iswapped out the speaker , reg ol swap and i went to play..hum..faint noise ..but nothing, no sound ..but hummm..ordered tubes and went on all kinda diagnosing..then one day,, opened it up..just because and when i re hooked up speaker , i used the other 8 ohm jack..and ta da !! back to normal..the one jack was dead

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  4. anitoli

5. Gutch220

Gutch220 Active Member

....plus doesn't the FX loop have a series/parallel option with their associated line levels? If something is faulty here, could that prevent a signal from passing through the amp? But you could easily test this by plugging a guitar into the FX-loop return, so I don't know.

Also, it looks like you guys have different circuits/boards (did marshall use variations on the 6100?). If you look at R18 on each picture, one has a hole in the board for a wire while the other (his) does not. So now, I don't know what to think. :shrug:

upload_2019-1-12_21-55-24.png

6. Gene Ballzz

Gene Ballzz Well-Known Member

Yes indeed, I see at least five fuses inside the chassis, in addition to any external fuses. Each needs to get pulled and metered! One other thing that has not been mentioned (unless I missed it) is the possibility of dirty/corroded/oxidized jack contacts as well as switch contacts.
    Just Sayin'
    Gene

7. anitoli

Yes they used different boards between the LE's, Anniversary, and LM's. This is also why i asked about the solder pad at EC1-A position as there appears to be a broken off wire there. Some of the earlier heads used this point to make the ground connection. They also tacked it onto one of the caps ground leads and then they put the through hole connection in on the LM's. Even though these boards have solder pads and trace on both sides, most of these connection have to be soldered on the bottom as some of these top traces don't do anything.

8. anitoli

This is from the op's pics:

[​IMG]

9. islandjimmy

islandjimmy Member

I tested all 7 fuses in this amp and they all tested good. I used a continuity setting with an alarm sound if the connection is good, they all passed. There was one fuse in slot F403 that was slow to beep but it did eventually, not sure if that matters.

10. islandjimmy

islandjimmy Member

I took a close look at that hole and it is super clean. It does not look like there was ever solder there. The hole is perfectly round and unobstructed. That picture is a bit deceptive because it looks like there is something in the hole but there is not.

anitoli likes this.
  11. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Just curious, did you remove the fuses when testing them? Sometimes, depending on the circuit, you can get false readings on a fuse that's still in the circuit (readings through resistors...). It's always best to remove fuses when testing them. It's also good practice to take voltage readings on each side of a fuse before removing it, to assure there are no stored voltages present (charged caps...). Just connect the negative lead of your meter to the chassis and probe the fuse holders with the positive lead (meter set to DC volts (500). Always best to be safe, than sorry.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  12. islandjimmy

islandjimmy Member

Here's the board ID number on mine.
    Board number.jpeg

13. islandjimmy

islandjimmy Member

Yes, I removed each one for testing. I also needed the number off of each one so I can order more.

14. anitoli

Ok, can you check those voltages that i asked about?

15. islandjimmy

islandjimmy Member

I don't get any value when I test the voltage on these pins. I know where pins 4 and 8 are on each prom chip so lets make sure I'm doing this correctly. After setting my meter to voltage, I chose 20, do I put the red probe on 4 and the black on 8? Or vise versa? That's what I did both ways and got 0. Dumb question #2 is the amp supposed to be on standby when I do this?

16. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

The amp can be in Standby or out of Standby. You want to measure the pins with reference to ground (negative meter probe on chassis or PCB ground).

17. Gutch220

Gutch220 Active Member

If you have 4 or 5 different PCB boards, each will have its own 'name'. There's a lot going on under there. Did you try thoroughly cleaning everything yet? After sitting for 25 years, this would be job #1.

18. islandjimmy

islandjimmy Member

Can you tell me what types of cleaning I should do? I have a can of Deoxit D5. Should I be cleaning pots and pin connectors?

19. Gutch220

Gutch220 Active Member

I'd recommend this to clean, and this to lube afterwards. Many people like DeoxIT including myself.

20. islandjimmy

islandjimmy Member

IC201 pin 4= .43 pin 8= .48
    IC202 pin 4= .43 pin 8= .48
    Meter set to voltage 20, negative (black) on chassis, red on pin.

HOT TUBES 70 likes this.