Nad - '77 2204

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Nudge68, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Nudge68

Nudge68 Well-Known Member

Just picked up a road worn 2204 from 1977. Lugging it on a plastic trolley through central London on a +30c humid day wasn't fun.

I was actually planning to track bass for a "play-along minus drums" of a Pantera song for my son, but I'm too bloody hot and buggered from lugging this thing home.

Will have to settle this bad boy into the "family" by diming it though the '36V :)

cheers,

Matt.

medicjg and poeman33 like this.
  2. plexilespaul

plexilespaul Well-Known Member

that must be an exciting day for you:)
    best amps ever made!!!
    pics please we want to enjoy too:)

codyjarrett and Nudge68 like this.
  3. StratoMarshall

StratoMarshall Well-Known Member

Congrats dude. I'll be looking for one myself one day soon....or maybe do a build!

Nudge68 likes this.
  4. Nudge68

Just gave this puppy some welly ... the sweet spot is seems to be - backing off the master volume from max (which is say 5 o'clock) to 2.30 o'clock, with pre-amp the same. Input high sensitivity.

No sludge/sponge in the bottom, mids have punch and definition, highs a bit shrill... but all my units have that through the '36v which has 2x12 vintage 30s. Not screaming loud when full bore. Surprisingly VERY little hiss.

Can't hear Acca Dacca, but I could hear my old mate, Rick Brewster belting his '68 Epi through this puppy. She's got some teeth.

Haven't checked its guts out yet. Would be interested to see what plate voltage and valve bias we have here.

Its an ugly little bastard needing a good slap to which it responds well. At least so far ;) Could be dangerous actually ...

cheers,

Matt.

5. johnfv

johnfv Well-Known Member

congrats! We need pictures!

6. Nudge68

This one was waiting for me for quite a while.

I love JMPs ... been dumping my Mesa's and Soldano's for old, crappy Marshall units. :wtf: And quite a few other pieces will go as well.

I think the JMPs have personality. Different from each other, different in itself every day. That can be a good thing or a bloody nightmare. But NEVER boring :)

Pics? I had my daughter try to spot the difference between the 2003 and the 2004... "they are the same", she said. Walked out completely unimpressed.

Then I got my son to guess. Without blinking he pointed out "this one is 100 watt, that's 50 watt". Dead pan, poker face.

"how did you know that?" I asked. "You told me 100 watt heads have air vents on the top, 50's don't". The bloody smart arse!

Thank goodness he's drummer and quite the trumpet player ;) There's only one guitarist in my house, and HE sucks harder than a Hoover on 12 with a cricket ball up its quiot.

cheers,

Matt.

7. TubeStack

TubeStack Well-Known Member

Awesome. :dude:

Let's see some pics!

Nudge68 likes this.
  8. plexilespaul

plexilespaul Well-Known Member

that is some serious education he's getting:)

Nudge68 likes this.
  9. Nudge68

Not sure what he's getting school ;) anyway, gotta get his Pantera "drum-along" done :).

cheers,

Matt

10. Dimitar

Dimitar Active Member

Congratulations!!! I bought my Marshall straight cab from another part in the city and I got it home by city bus with my friend. People were like WTF :)

Nudge68 likes this.