Nad 2203x + 1960 Cab .

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Ufoscorpion, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

just bought as above , great deal £600 for both . I'm going to test properly later today but don't expect too much . Am going go get Dan Gower to mod the shit out of it to get it where I want it .

2. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member

Congrats on the new amp and cab! Good luck modding it!

Trelwheen and tce63 like this.
  3. JeffMcLeod

JeffMcLeod Well-Known Member

Google says that translates to about $770 U.S. Unless I'm missing something, I'd say that's a pretty good deal, lol.

4. 2203xman

2203xman Well-Known Member

A steal of a deal!You're going to love that amp.I fell in love with mine from the day she was unboxed 16 years ago.I'm not sure what music you're into,but stock it will do everything from ZZ top,to D leppard,to early Metallica.It can be very bright with certain guitars.Don't be afraid to run the EQ in some uncommon ways.I have the treble on 1,or 2 with my strat.I love my 2203x,and will never part with her.Enjoy!!

5. Ufoscorpion

It's a bargain for sure , but gear is so cheap in UK at the moment . The guy I bought it from was open to offers on it aswell but would have felt uncomfortable beating him up on it , particularly as the head and cab are mint condition . Dans killerkalli++ mods will cost between £550 - £-1000 dependining how far I go with them ( lots of switching options available ) so the Astoria will have to go to fund them . Still not fired it up yet but will have time today , will see what it's like standard

solarburnDSL50 and tce63 like this.
  6. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

HNGearD awesome deal on kick ass amp/ cab enjoy your new to you gear! Cheers Mitch

MarshallDog and tce63 like this.
  7. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

Congrats and i think world peace would be achieved if everybody owned one..we would all relate for once !!

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  8. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

:funny:
    Yeah but the genre of music would divide us.:shrug:

Trelwheen, tce63, Ufoscorpion and 2 others like this.
  9. Ufoscorpion

As suspected not a lot of gain in the 2203 ( but I knew this when I got it ) and it as many other amps doesn't sound good with master on 1 gain on 10 . So hooked up the jetenuator and tried with master on 5 gain on 1 ( getting somewhere now ) and sounded nice and crisp , nowhere near enough gain for me obviously . The promblem is the more I raise the gain from there the muddier it gets , not a nice distortion at all . So tried the vintage overdrive next ( tube screamer clone ) with gain 0 level max , tone max and another step forward . Still not great , so stuck the mxr 5150 od in front of the vintage overdrive and dialed the amp gain back to 1 and BINGO , it's all pretty much there . Goes from ACDC to Judas Priest ( firepower ) and all my favourite 80's hard rock / metal tunes with just a twist of the gain knob on the mxr ( boost button in for more compression and sustain of course ) . The thing the 2203 does that no other amp I've tried to date does is clarity , you can hear everything . When playing along to my favourite tunes in my studio I can hear everything I'm playing without even being prominent volume wise , that's really impressive and as I said a unique experience for me , I LIKE this a lot . I will convey this to Dan before he mods it , don't want to lose this even though his mods are that killer I'm sure it will remain .

10. Wolvieberzerker

Wolvieberzerker Well-Known Member

The 5150 od? I’ve been thinking about doing something like that in front of my ceriatone 2204. Just for shits and grins really. Was looking at the Friedman be od as well. Do you find the 5150 od overly compressed? Or does it remain somewhat natural sounding?

11. Ufoscorpion

I find that the 5150 od does not colour your amps natural sound at all and I've tried it with many amps . It's doesn't get muddy at all either which I find the downfall of most dirt pedals although I've not tried a be-od . It also sounds very 'open' , if you want more compression and sustain that's exactly what the boost button does , which I find usefull at lower gain settings . The smart gate is a godsend when you crank the gain up , it works brilliantly ( got to be worth half the cost of the pedal ) . I have no inclination to buy or look at anymore dirt pedal , wish I found this before all the others before it .

12. Wolvieberzerker

Wolvieberzerker Well-Known Member

Very nice. May have to give it a try.

13. Trelwheen

Trelwheen Well-Known Member

Great score, congrats! :cheers:

Can't live without em