N3 pups suck

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by G the wildman, Jan 26, 2020.

1. G the wildman

G the wildman Well-Known Member

guys,

I used to loved my American Delux it is as you know a quality axe. But recently I bought an unused 2009 American Standard. Whilst a lower quality guitar it has classic tones and is so much louder. Thus my Delux is retired.

My problems are:
    1 When I change the pups will I lose the S1 switching capability? (Not an issue)

2 Will I need to change the pots?

3 I don't want to end up having two guitars that sound the same.

4 I would like a hot bridge pickup for that Solo boost.

I like classic rock. Can any experts herein guide me please.

G

2. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

1 if you have enough wires for the switch your good. 2 not unless you want to you should upgrade the pots. 3 depends on what pick ups you put in 4 you mite put a signal boost in thar You should try to work with that guitar it mite just needs to be set up

G the wildman likes this.
  3. dptone5

dptone5 Well-Known Member

My favorite two guitars are my American Deluxe HSS Strats. I think the N3 pickups are terrible. I am also a believer that the S1 switching, although provides a lot of tonal options, has something about it that affects core tone in a bad way.

I wanted my guitars to be similar (one is the back-up for the other). But there are SO many good pickup options out there, you can make the American Deluxe something very special and different than your new American Standard.

Personally, I would remove all the electronics and start over. Wire it with a traditional 5-way switch, and research different pickup options than the ones you have in the American Standard.

I am a Classic Rock, 80's rock and blues person myself. If you want something hotter in the bridge, try one of the Hot Rails or other "humbucker" like pickups in the American Deluxe.

In my one HSS Strat, I have Fat 50's in the neck and middle and an EVH Wolfgang in the bridge. On the other one, I have Kinman Fat 50 Impersonators in the neck and middle and the same EVH Wolfgang in the bridge.

After taking out the S1 switch and completely rewiring these guitars, the tone improved dramatically.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions.

DP

G the wildman and BanditPanda like this.
  4. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Hey DP that's interesting about the Wolfgang in the bridge of a Strat.
    I'm waiting on delivery of a P90 Crossbreed for my Strat bridge position.
    What does the Wolfgang do for you?
    BP

G the wildman and dptone5 like this.
  5. dptone5

dptone5 Well-Known Member

I love the Wolfgang BP. Alnico II is my favorite. Warmer and has a spongy feel. The Wolfgang is very similar to the Seymour Duncan Custom Custom. Around 14k. So pretty hot for Alnico II. I find it to be very balanced, smooth and not harsh and a very nice vocal quality to it.

G the wildman and BanditPanda like this.