N A D (Ampeg content)

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by Brian Krashpad, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Active Member

Tuesday NAD! Ampeg Reverberocket 50W 2x12. From the '90s, sfaik. Love that they still label the -6 dB dampened input "accordion" on the control panel. (I actually picked this up yesterday but haven't had a chance to really play with it yet.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. stringtree

stringtree Well-Known Member

Congrats and HNAD! :dude:

3. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

:applause:
    what made you pick this amp?

4. Brian Krashpad

It was for sale for a pretty good price ($350 USD, with footswitch). And I had never owned an Ampeg amp (although I do have an SVT 8x10 bass cab).

5. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

neither have i.
    wha type tones does it have?

Brian Krashpad and MarshallDog like this.
  6. Brian Krashpad

I've only gotten a little time in with it, last night. The clean channel gets some dirt when you turn it loud and dig in on the guitar. A little like my vintage Sunn 200S 60W head does, but grittier. Conversely, not as much clean headroom as my vintage Fender Super Reverb. But unlike either of those, it has a dirt channel with gain/master controls. When I switch to that channel it's more like my Marshalls or Sovtek.

Not much to go on, but all I got so far. I've never felt that trying to describe tone in words works very well. Also, an online buddy has said that the tone controls work different to the ones on most other amps, and I haven't had a chance to take that into account. Here's what that guy said:

"Great amps! I have a 50w 1x12” Superjet, love the Bandaxall tone stack. Put all tones at 0 and crank the volume up to saturate the tubes, then use your EQs for both your tone and volume level (had mine for several years before discovering this).

Reply · Ta for the tip James! So... what's a "Bandaxall?"

Reply · You can look up a more technical explanation, but basically if you an turn all the tone controls down and get no sound, in spite of the volume level, it’s likely a Bandaxall stack. They’re amazingly versatile, play around with it by cranking up the volume and using just one tone control at a time -at lower levels (at higher levels it will get LOUD). They’ll work fine using them Fender/Marshall style too, but using them opposite of a normal volume/tone stack is where they’ll really shine as you can push the tubes harder and still keep lower volume, and WAY more tonal flexibility."

Hope that helps.

ricksdisconnected likes this.
  7. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

Congrats on your new amp! Looks interesting based on your posts!

8. Brian Krashpad

Thanks MD! I think it should be an interesting addition, and different, at least a bit, from anything I currently have. I have an old MOS-FET Marshall 2x12 (at the bottom of my profile pic) 100W, that I will probably sell to defray some of the expense on the Ampeg (although the Ampeg was very affordable, and I am blessed to have had the cash on hand for it easily). The Marshall 2x12 is not that different than any of the other 5000 series solid states I have (also in the profile pic), and I'm kinda running out of space!

Current amps, now including the Ampeg (at the end):

Fender Super Reverb Amp (US 1966) 4x10 all-tube 40W combo amp, blackface, modded into 2 2x10 cabs

Sovtek MiG50H "Tube Midget" (Russia c. 2000) 50W all-tube amplifier head (played with 1x15 Kustom cab or either of the 4x12 or 2x12 cabs below)

Sunn 200S (US 1960's) 60W all-tube amplifier head, built as a bass amp but doubles as a guitar amp (played with any of the cabs below)

Risson 4x12 slant front cab with Celestion-made Risson speakers (US, 1980's)

DIY 2x12 cab Speaker cabinet made from a gutted Crate combo amp, containing two British-made V12 Celestion 60W speakers

Cigarbox Half-Watt amp Half-Watt solid state guitar practice amp that can run from a 9-volt battery or regular household current

Kustom 100 (US 1960's) matching 100 W solid state head and ported cab (1x15) in tuck-and-roll aqua (Kustom's color name: "cascade") metal flake

Ampeg SVT bass cab (US 1970's?) 8x10

Crate BX-200 bass head (US 1995) 200W solid state

Woodson 250 (US 1970's?) matching bass head and 1x15 cab, 250W

Laney TF100 50w 1x10 combo amp, solid state

Vox AD30VT-XL 30W 1x12 combo, hybrid modeling amp, with more high-gain amps than on regular AD30 Valvetronic model

Fender Super Champ XD (CHI 2008?)15W tube combo amp with 10" speaker with 16 pre-amp voices and 16 onboard effects settings, 2 channels, switchable with footswitch

Kustom Tube 12A Hybrid 12W combo with 8" Celestion speaker

Marshall 5002 (UK '80's) 20W solid state 80's 1x10 combo with Celestion speaker

Marshall 5210 (UK '80's) 50W solid state 80's 1x12 combo with Celestion speaker

Marshall 5275 (UK '80's) 75W solid state 80's 1x12 combo with Celestion speaker

Marshall 5213 (UK '80's) 100W solid state 80's 2x12 combo with Celestion speakers

Peavey XXX Super 40 EXP (USA) 40W tube 1x12 combo with digital effects

Ampeg Reverberocket R212R (USA) 50W tube 2x12 combo with 2 channels and reverb

MarshallDog likes this.
  9. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

Wow, thats a lot of amps! Now I feel better about having my amps!!

Brian Krashpad likes this.
  10. Brian Krashpad

Yeah, I agree, it's gotten kinda outta hand. :yesway: But hey, somebody's gotta be the bad example!

For 20 years or so I had the luxury of stowing a lot of my gear at my office, the library of which doubled as a GREAT (and soundproof!) after-hours rehearsal space.

[​IMG]

When we dissolved the firm in 2013, however, all that gear had to come home! As a result, in the years since, I've mainly only bought single-speaker combos, as at least they're smaller. The two more recent 2x12s (Marshall 5000 series MOS-FET 100W, and this "new" 50W Ampeg) excepted.

Unfortunately for my wallet, I live in a college town with a GREAT original music scene, totally out of proportion to the size of the town (Gainesville, FL, USA). That means that there are often very good gear deals, as the ratio of local musos to normals is kinda off the hook. In fact, the $350 I paid for this Ampeg is the most I've ever spent for an amp or cab! (Not adjusting for inflation, at least.)

11. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

Hell yeah. I had a Jet i bought brand new in those day's and got convinced i needed a vintage amp so i let it go. I found a recording from then and damn, that amp killed!

12. Gene Ballzz

Gene Ballzz Well-Known Member

@Brian Krashpad
    That's quite a list and the "library" pic is fantastic, but I have a question. Where is the "BIG BOY AMP" to at least occasionally drive that 8X10 refrigerator?
    And your new acquisition is pretty cool too! Ampegs have a very cool sound. You just have to be careful to not let it get too harshly clear in a "steam whistle" kinda way. It can make your ears go numb so that you turn to even harsher! The V4s and VT22s were known for that!
    Nice Score!
    Gene

13. Brian Krashpad

Ta Gene! You're dead on, re the bass head dep't. I only have 2 heads, both in the 200-250 W range, and really need to at least double that, if not quadruple it. Ideally I would find an Ampeg SVT head to match the fridge cab, but those are way too rich for my cheap-ass blood. Particularly given that I haven't regularly played as a bassist in about a dozen years (a reunion show c. 2017 notwithstanding).

14. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

Yeah, we used to joke about mine having a "death ray" of treble when i played my Fenders through it.

15. Zensee

Zensee New Member

Ampegs are pretty cool amps. Hope you really enjoy it!