My wall voltage drops as low as 100v, is this an issue when running a modern 120v Marshall and.....

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Michael Inglis, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Michael Inglis

Michael Inglis Active Member

So i have a few questions and im having a hard time finding my way through to the answers. So what im wondering is, will having a wall voltage of only 100v be problematic(im running a 100w Marshall DSL100HR and about 10 pedals). If so why and how do others get around this, for example how do i get my voltage more consistent? I live in an old house in an old neighborhood but i thought that the city regulated the amount of power we see at our outlets. Its summer and ive heard in some areas they bump up the voltage to make up for all the people running their AC's etc.? Forgive me if im pathetically wrong here but wouldnt more people using more electronics just lower current not voltage? And ive looked into getting a regular Variac (one not rated for audio applications) but what i gather is that when the voltage swings at the outlet it will also swing at the Variac. Basically the Variac can only control the voltage its allotted by the outlet. So what kind of regulator would i need to get a consistent 120v or at least consistently closer to 120v. I know older amps were designed around 110v and then later 117v (fender) with power fluctuations of about 10% in mind. But even with a modern amp designed to run at 120v i feel like 20v is pushing it. Last question, when im biasing my amp and getting plate current isnt that going to be directly affected by the wall voltage? And if yes would that mean that my ideal bias is constantly shifting? Ive had power tubes going out pretty regularly(about every 9 months or less) and im wondering if thats cause im biasing when the voltage is low and then later when its high and im using the amp my bias that was set to a little over average is now too hot? Any help appreciated, i dont like to be in the dark about these things. Ill feel much better when i have a better understanding all this.

2. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

There is a bad connection in the electricity or a bad circuit breaker.
    This will cause heating of the wiring. It may even cause an electrical fire.
    If you can't get an electrician to fix it, plug an extension cord and get power from some other receptacle that has good voltage.

If the whole house has low voltage you need to call the power company.
    No a power conditioner won't fix this.

The voltage should be steady.
    But you shouldn't need to buy anything, it's the power company or it's bad wiring...

3. Michael Inglis

This is what i was wondering, thanks. And yeah its consistent throughout the whole house so im thinking a call to our electric provider is in order. Thanks for the reply!

4. ampmadscientist

Yes call the power company because the connection on the pole transformer can get oxidized. All they gotta do is clean it and it works again.

5. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

You need to make sure of the voltages first.
    Are you getting higher voltages? What is the highest average voltage?

It is most likely a utility supply issue. Call the utility company first and have them check to the meter.
    The lowest hitting the meter should be 114VAC with nominal of 120VAC.
    If it is an issue on their side they will fix it.

If there is a problem on your side of the meter they will tell you at which time you call a licensed electrician.

6. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  7. ampmadscientist

He's getting drop out to 100 VAC but it's the whole house..

8. mickeydg5

Oh yes by the way if your appliances/equipment are designed for 120/220VAC and the supply is dropping that much it could cause malfunction and harm.

9. mickeydg5

Yes, exactly.
    Your point being? (if not already mentioned)

10. Nik Henville

Nik Henville Well-Known Member

Eastern Seaboard, the nook-shotten isle of Albion
    :cool:
    Dude
    has eddy current issues...
    ...Eddy Van Halen electrickery in his mains.
    Brown sound without the variac, straight out of the wall socket. Neat...

:hippie::pirate::uk:

CoyotesGator and Dogs of Doom like this.
  11. ampmadscientist

But the problem is: where is the 20 volts going to?
    That loss is translated into heat somewhere.
    (hope it's not inside your walls)

Nik Henville likes this.
  12. mickeydg5

Not his responsibilty if the drop is on the utility company's side.

But it can hurt his appliances/equipment.

13. Michael Inglis

My girl will shit if i shut off our mains power tonight lol. But tomorrow im going to check at the box for 120 split and 240 on both hot leads if its too low ill call TXU if its right and my house has shitty wiring ill call my brother and tell him hes the lucky guy who gets to help me rewire the house for free next month. Hes actually the one who built half of our house in the 80s. Thanks for the reply

14. Michael Inglis

First that was with an older amp that likely was designed for 110-117 anyways. Not a master volume amp designed for 120v. I am plenty happy not being the moron who used his houses low voltage as a Russian Roulette Variac to attenuate a master volume amp that doesnt need a variac to begin with. Lol but if i had a vintage amp........

Nik Henville likes this.
  15. mickeydg5

Dude you are playing russian roullete with your hvac, refrigerator, microwave, television(s) and so on.

Get'r done.

Dogs of Doom likes this.
  16. Gutch220

Gutch220 Well-Known Member

I'm thinking; call the power company; tell them you need 120v, and make up a story where you need this to run medical equipment to keep you alive.....like a dialysis machine........ see how fast they get out there.
    .....or have all of you neighbors constantly barraging them with phone calls.

...........or a more dangerous idea...... smash a car into the utility pole with the transformer so they replace it with a new one. You're on your own for this one though.

Is it possible that faulty wiring could cause a loss in voltage somewhere? This happened with a refrigerator of mine years ago. During manufacturing, a screw was installed, and it accidentally went through the shielding on a wire somewhere causing the fridge to run at a lower voltage so the freezer was cold, but not freezing, and the fridge wasn't as cool as it could be. The technician tested parts, but they didn't show as 'bad'. It took three visits for them to get. I'll probably never buy a Maytag product again.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    Michael Inglis likes this.
  17. Nik Henville

Nik Henville Well-Known Member

Eastern Seaboard, the nook-shotten isle of Albion
    Damn - apologies proffered.
    I always forget there's folks on here with "modern" amps.
    Gets me every time. I MUST learn to take life more seriously, for sure.

Reward offered

A reward of 500 microfarads is offered for the information leading to the arrest of hop-a-long capacity. This unrectified criminal escaped from a western primary cell where he had been clamped in ions awaiting the gauss chamber.

He is charged with the induction of an 18 turn coil named milli henry who was found choked and robbed of valuable joules. He is armed with a carbon rod and is a potential killer. Capacity is also charged with driving dc motor over a wheatstone bridge and refusing to let the band-pass.

If encountered, he may offer series of resistance. The electromotive force spent the night searching for him in a magnetic field, where he had gone to earth. They had no success and believed he had returned ohm via a short circuit.

He was last seen riding a kilocycle with his friend eddy current who was playing a harmonic.

CoyotesGator and Michael Inglis like this.
  18. ampmadscientist

Now I'm having flashbacks...

Nik Henville likes this.
  19. Michael Inglis

Lol good stuff brother!

Nik Henville likes this.
  20. Michael Inglis

I posted another thread related to this with some new insights id highly recommend you all check out. Also id appreciate it if ampmadscientist and mickeydg5 would read it and offer their opinions. If you do have the time to read it tell me if im missing something or if it sounds correct. Thanks brothers!

Nik Henville likes this.