My SV20H Has Finally Arrived, But...

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Wendigo, Jul 17, 2019.

1. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Well, I don’t own a SV20 but logically I think it would breakup earlier simply because it’s only 20 watts. There’s less headroom in a 20 watt amp vs a 100 watt amp,.... isn’t there?

Mitchell Pearrow and T.J. like this.
  2. Wendigo

Wendigo Member

Hey man yes it sounds like the YJM, but like you said, has a bit more dirt earlier. Also is seems to have considerably more bass on tap should you need it. All things considered, the SV20H is the better amp all across the board. Only advantage of the YJM is the built in attenuator and maybe the reverb if you need it.

Capriccio and WellBurnTheSky like this.
  3. Wendigo

Wendigo Member

Just an update: I ended up switching to the Bugera PS1 Power Soak....works fine. It does suck some tone of course, but it has a continuously variable volume knob, no notching, which allows you to fully attenuate and bring up the volume from there. I'm getting an excellent sound out of it now, I'd say the difference compared to the pure amp sound is about 10% worse, but it still sounds incredible. The perfect solution for guitar lessons and practice.

Alter and tce63 like this.
  4. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

Try a Weber mini mass people seem to really like them

eastwood6 and tce63 like this.
  5. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

The YJM has variable wattage from 100 down to 1. It also has a built in overdrive pedal and an on board noise gate.

tce63 likes this.
  6. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Well-Known Member

I use a Barber Direct Drive Compact to controll volume and gain.
    Sounds almost the same as amp cranked.
    Cranked for me is both volumes on 8.
    No attenuator for me. Had about 8 different ones when I owned Marshall 50 and 100 watters.

tce63 likes this.
  7. ultra88

ultra88 Member

I have had mine about 2 months now. Been playing for 40 years. I have owned almost every amp ever made. My favorite amp has always been the 1959 SLP. I have had 3, and ended up selling them all at one time or another due to the unmanageable volume levels it took to get "the sound" I wanted. Then this little bad ass came along. It is without a doubt everything you have read about and more. Sounds just like its big brothers. And yes it is loud as hell. So i just bought the new Boss Waza tube amp expander and that was the icing on the cake for me. It cost as much as the marshall did but oh man, the possibilities now are through the roof. No tone loss at all with features such as, effects loop, reverb, echo, boost, record out, and all can be saved and edited via software on you computer. Cab sims, different mic set ups, room size settings are also in the expander. The Marshall and the Boss are without a doubt the best purchase's I have ever made. I run the Marshall volume about 3 qtrs up which without the Boss would change the rotation of the earth ! But with it, it so manageable at ANY VOLUME. And no loss of tone. Plus it has a built in 100 watt amp to give you huge amounts of volume if you are ever in a situation where you might need it. I have the matching 2x12 cabinet but have been using my Marshall 4x12 cab instead and it sounds un-real. Marshall nailed it with this one and so did Boss.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    scozz, Sacalait, Kutt and 4 others like this.
  8. Robert Jones

Robert Jones New Member

I have a class 5 that is very loud as well. I use a tube amp doctor to bring the volume down to bedroom levels. I also have a blackstar ht5 that I get good low volume tones without an attenuator, but it is not as thick, warm and responsive as the Marshall

tce63 likes this.
  9. dro

dro Active Member

Been there Scozz done that. Back then if amp didn't at least have 100 watts I would not even look at it.

scozz and tce63 like this.
  10. Capriccio

Capriccio Member

thank you man

11. Robus

Robus Active Member

You bought a plexi dood. Crank that badboy.

Sacalait, ken361 and tce63 like this.
  12. Wendigo

Wendigo Member

Well that's of course the sentiment you run into all over the place, which I get for jams etc, but back in reality, you don't want to be cranking a plexi 4 feet from your head for 8-10 hours per day during lessons. :hbang:

13. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

That’s what dsl’s are for . Or better yet a modeler. I am considering a code.

14. BluesForDan

BluesForDan New Member

This freaking amp caused me to buy a guitar that I totally did not plan to buy. Now I have to stay away from my local GC because I. WANT. THAT. DAMN. AMP.

I'd really like the head version and the 2x12 accompanying cab but I'll probably end up with the combo.

Muy gusta.

15. carlygtr56

carlygtr56 Member

Running the SC20 and it's big brother thru a Fryette Power Station 2. Takes care of the volume and (inferior) loop.

[​IMG]

scozz likes this.
  16. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

What I keep saying is:
    Wattage does not = loudness, it depends on the speaker efficiency.
    Yes 5 watts is loud.
    Now crank it up so I can hear it.

17. Msharky67

Msharky67 Well-Known Member

I am still gassing for a SV20h but that is why I chose the 800. I didn't need an attenuator. I see people using those OX boxes with a DSL and other small models. It seems overkill and expensive. I like the idea of those but they are way too much for something just to sit there. I haven't tried the Bugera PS1 yet. It may be on my Xmas list this year. I just think its not a huge difference having one of those with the new 20 watters. I watched Johan's video of this example. Some will disagree. The FX loop volume works great too and seems enough for me. I'd rather spend the dough on another amp or new guitar.

18. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Nice setup @carlygtr56!

carlygtr56 likes this.
  19. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Well the Jcm800 Studio may be a lot of amp for strictly playing at home,....like I do! But considering what you’re getting and how it can be used, it works.

I’ve got that great 800 tone right at home with manageable volumes.

Also, since I bought a Weber miniMass 50 attenuator, I’m able to really crank it,...to get all those great overtones and string harmonics a cranked Jcm800 has to offer.

The Weber MiniMass works great and only $136! I’m playing my 800 Studio at about 8 on the volume and 6 or so on the preamp in s 14x13 room! The MiniMass does it’s job very well, and with virtually no tone loss!

I would never spend $1200 or so, on a attenuator,......for a 20 watt amp,......for use at home. But for $136? I’m in!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    tce63 and Kim Lucky Day like this.