My SV20H Has Finally Arrived, But...

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Wendigo, Jul 17, 2019.

1. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

Good stuff—I’ve used both of these solutions live and I love them both. I am curious why you are just using the Marshall as a power amp?

The beauty of the AX8 (and the Helix) is that you can bring it and your guitar to a gig, plug in power and FOH and you are good.

The beauty of the SC20 is that you can bring an much smaller and lighter amp to a (normal club type) gig and be able to get some power tube drive and sound like the big amps cranked.

Seems like your plan will work but seems to me won’t take advantage of either of the innate advantages of your gear?

2. tallcoolone

Ive got 3 cabs with EV12Ls—they are most definitely louder than any of my Celestions or Emis. Even the Emi cast frame Delta Pro can’t come close. Looking forward to pairing the SC20 this weekend with a 1x12 Thiele—that little stack rips!

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  3. nkay

nkay Active Member

These finally arrived in Canada and I tried both the SV20 and SC20 through the same matching 2x12 in the store.

The SV20 was LOUD!!! Maybe I don’t know how to dial in these 4 holers but yikes I had a hard time with it just like the OP.

The SC20 was just amazing, found the perfect tone and volume in seconds. Really want this amp after I free up some funds.

scozz, WellBurnTheSky and pedecamp like this.
  4. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Weber miniMass 50 watt attenuator works great, and doesn’t color the tone. It has 4, 8, and 16 ohm choices and +3db and +6 dB for the slight high end loss when you really attenuate down to quiet levels. All for $136!

The 50 watt works great for low wattage amps, I use it with my Jcm800 Studio. They also have a 100 watt attenuator for higher wattage amps.

Oh I forgot,...they’re made one by one by hand!!

https://www.tedweber.com/minimass

[​IMG]

5. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

That looks like a cool rig. Does it change the sound any? Does the 100w unit work and sound the same as this one? If it would fit, I would like to hardwire one right into an 800 / 800 Studio to use it anywhere. How hot do these get, do you think the amp could take the heat if it were inside the cabinet? I guess the main thing is to make sure it does not color the tone at low volume's. The one in the TC100 work's very well and makes the amp incredibly versatile.

6. Hemsworthy

Hemsworthy Member

The AX8 into FRFR and PA is great. But, it's lacking true tube feel/tone so the SV20 can help scratch that itch.
    Live I use some FX and "scenes" (turning multiple FX on/off at the same time, etc) and I can use that same technique with the AX8 into SV20 into cab. But I also still want a feed to FOH/PA. I could mic, get a Friedman mic no more or try and use the DI out of the amp and add cab simulation.
    I just have to determine what makes the most sense and is easiest.
    The reason the AX8 into FX return is easy because I send that signal to SV20 (cabs off) and send another feed direct to PA and it's almost identical.
    Simplest vs. best sounding vs. best solution(s) overall for live and for home.

7. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

Does that have a line level output as well?

8. assaf110

assaf110 Well-Known Member

Just click the link he provided..
    “Line Out jack has no volume control and is dependent on your amp volume setting, but we do offer a Line Level Volue Control here:“

scozz and Michael Roe like this.
  9. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Just a line out, not a independent line out level control.

[​IMG]

Michael Roe likes this.
  10. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

At the volumes I play it @ampeq, it doesn’t color the tone at all to my ears. At very low levels there is a slight loss of high end, but the +3 sand +6 dB treble boost will alleviate that. I don’t know about the 100 watt unit but I believe it works the same.

I posted these two pics on the first page of this thread but I’ll do it again. You can see my amp settings and my Weber miniMass settings. I’ve got the attenuator barely at 25% and my amp MV and preamp volume are set at a bit below 8, and the amp is set on the 20 watt setting,.....and it is LOUD!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was surprised, mine doesn’t get hot at all, not even warm! I’m using only a 20 watt amp through it and I don’t attenuate it down to whisper volumes, I still play it loud!

So maybe that’s the reason. They recommend not using a 50 watt amp with their 50 watt attenuator and attenuate it down to a whisper volume.

That’s not how this product is to be used, for a 50 watt amp they recommend their 100 watt attenuator.

I can’t speak to installing it inside a amp head, it depends how you use it. If your gonna crank a 100 watt Marshall and attenuate it down to whisper volumes, I wouldn’t recommend putting it inside your amp head.

Attached Files:

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  11. K2JLX

K2JLX Well-Known Member

I've pondered for sometime why they discontinued their PowerBrake.

CraigP likes this.
  12. tallcoolone

Well, feel is personal but if you can’t get ‘tube tone’ with an AX8 something is wrong. The Marshall sounds great on its own, seems a shame to only use it as a power amp for a modeler. Esp since there are better and much cheaper power amps out there.

IMO carrying and dealing with all that gear at a gig sounds like a whole lotta work with not much return.

13. Hemsworthy

Hemsworthy Member

Modeler into FRFR simply sounds DIFFERENT and reacts DIFFERENTLY than a tube amp into a traditional cabinet. I've been at this for quite a while and I'm a huge proponent of digital modeling gear, but I cannot deny the simplicity and authentic tube feel and tone IN CERTAIN CONTEXTS cannot be rivaled.
    That is why LIVE I need the versatility of modeling. I have just found that I prefer tube based power amp vs. solid state (I currently use a SD Powerstage 170 which is great and compact, but head to head the tube amp FX returns of the Friedman Runt, Dirty Shirley and hopefully this SV20 simply sound and feel better. And this is for backlin/stage volume and whatever washes over. The guitar tones still are totally digital into PA from a second feed of the AX8.
    RE: lots of gear. Not really!
    AX8 is way smaller and more portable than almost any other guitarists pedal board rig I have ever played with or seen live. And it can do a hell of a lot more. The drives and time based FX are basically unrivaled. Then it's a light, small form factor head on top of my Marshall Silver Jube 2x12 that is loaded with NEO Creambacks and on casters.
    IF the venue has paved parking lot and smooth ground floor entry way is the fastest and easier load in / out imaginable.
    My FRFR rig is smaller, requires me to actually carry more and doesn't sound quite as well.

All that being said, I'll be gigging enough between two bands to sometimes play strictly the SV20 into the cab mic'd. no FX, no pedals, just guitar volume.
    At home I rarely plug in at all!

WellBurnTheSky and CraigP like this.
  14. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

you know the saying:

Surely, you're mistaken, it is not too loud. :)...

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  15. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I have an FX-8, I still like my amp's for the sound / tone, TC100 head & Carvin X100b. Ran through a 2-12" cab I can get the sound and feel I like for pretty much anywhere. The FX-8 unit will do anything as far as effects go and sounds better than any stomp boxes I ever had. I think if I were playing every night I would go to a rack mount TC100 & Axe unit in a flight case, along with 1 or 2 2-12" cab's. This would be a good compromise between sound and weight for me. I like simple, but really good, versatile equipment, and the 2 amps I stuck with will do everything I could want. The FX-8 will do waaaay more than I could ever want. I use the 4-CM, is this the way you like to run as well? What mix of amp and AX-8 amps sound the best? Or do you stick with a certain amp sound from the AX-8?

CraigP likes this.
  16. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Did that work as well as the newer stuff of today? Can you still find them?

tce63 likes this.
  17. tallcoolone

Agreed--home is where I almost exclusively use modelers through studio monitors. Amazing how we can get killer tone at speaking levels nowadays.

Use what works for you of course. It sounds like you have a lot of experience. I just believe--and I would bet $ on--no one in a crowd can discern a properly dialed in modeler vs a tube amp direct through FOH. I love amps and cabs tho so I do like taking them out. Modelers 'feel' good to me, but tube amps all feel a bit unique. Which can be a plus, or it can be a big minus.

18. Thevenin

Thevenin Active Member

I run a MiniMass on my SV20H at around 25% to take it down a bit at home. It is still loud in 20W mode, but you can walk away without your ears ringing. The lowest dial position cuts it down to a whisper; -total buzzkill.

scozz, Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  19. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Yeah I think 25% is a perfect setting. I mean you can turn it down lower, but 25% is where I get plenty of volume to enjoy all the tones and harmonics of a cranked tube amp.

Besides I’m not looking to play at whisper volumes, if I was I wouldn’t have purchased my amp, (Jcm800 Studio)!

tce63 likes this.
  20. Capriccio

Capriccio Member

Hi @Wendigo , so i ve got yjm100 too, could you tell me what differences btw them? I'd like to buy the sv20 too, the yjm100 is really big and heavy, but will I have the same sound ?? from the demos on youtube i notice that seems to become dirty earlier than yjm..but don't know. Thank so much for you help

tce63 likes this.