My first tube amp ever Dsl1c. But hum and hiss

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Dom Dom, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Dom Dom

Dom Dom New Member

Hi guys!! I'm new here and I just bought a used DSL1c and it's my first tube amp ever!!!! I play alone. No band. I played in a band a couple of years ago but I had a solid state amp.

But, I don't know what is normal or not with the sound of it.

1 - When there is nothing plugged in and all the volume down, I hear a sound like hum sound. I thought it was a ground loop problem, so I removed the ground pin to isolate that (i know it's not safe but it was just for testing. I changed the cable with new one with ground pin... lol). It still humming without the ground pin.

2- when I put volume up on the clean channel I start hearing a hissing sound + the humming sound. It's doing the same thing on the gain channel and it's worst.

3- when I plugged my guitar it's worst. If I turn my guitar volume down I get more humming sound. If I put my tone to 0. The humming sound is a lot attenuated.

Where is 3 youtube link of my problem :

I know it's a newbie question. And the problem is that I don't have any reference.

Thank you

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  2. South Park

South Park Active Member

That hum sound means that the amp is working. All tubes amps hum some more some less . It could be a lot of things like preamp tubes bad cables pickups cold solder joints.when it sounds like a chain saw you have a ploblem

scozz likes this.
  3. Dom Dom

Dom Dom New Member

There was no guitar plugged at that moment.

4. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Get a spare set of tubes, that little amp doesnt take many, its good to have spare tubes if you own a tube amp. Replace all the tubes with the spare set, keep the old ones as spares.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  5. South Park

South Park Active Member

So it hums right . The grid on the on the gain stage is ground sucking up power from the amp

6. South Park

South Park Active Member

The noice is from the gain stage the first tube. To check this pull the first tube. To isolate the noice. The first video is a voltage spike when you hit the switch.claen the first tube socket with electrical cleaner. That is a good start. The amp is working just some trouble shooting

7. Neil Skene

Neil Skene Well-Known Member

It doesn't sound that loud. All amps will make some noise.
    Most of the time it is electro magnetic interference, try moving the amp around to different parts of the room.
    Even take it outside of the house on an extension lead.
    Just to demonstrate this, plug a lead in with no guitar, turn the amp up a little and hold the end of the lead up near power points, lights, switches and transformers that are being used and watch how bad things get. the wiring around above and under the amp in the room can cause lots of noise.

8. South Park

South Park Active Member

Yes you right my last build had no grid stopper I was getting Mexican radio You could could picking up something. Change the location

9. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Welcome to a tube amp! I’m not hearing anything unusual, I have the same amp except the head version.

I wouldn’t worry about it, if you are do what @pedecamp suggested. There’s only 3 tubes with this amp, 1 power tube, (ECC82), and 2 preamp tubes, (12AX7).

Neil Skene and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  10. Deerhunter1972

Deerhunter1972 Active Member

I have the head version and the DSL20HR, and both make the same noise. That is normal tube hiss in my opinion.

Neil Skene, JAC and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  11. John BNY

John BNY Well-Known Member

Hard to tell how loud the hum is, but the placement of the amp in relation to other electronic devices can cause hum. My 100 watt amps in my home studio are dead quiet, but my 15 watt DSL in my office next to a refrigerator has a hum. Try plugging the amp in other parts of the house and see how it does.

12. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Its worth a shot, 9 out of 10 times when a tube amp has a problem it's gonna be the tubes. The cost of $30 it's worth checking or you'll never know. If that's not the problem you'll have that spare set of tubes every tube amp owner should have. :yesway:

13. Midnight Blues

Midnight Blues Well-Known Member

:wave: and :welcome: to the MF Dom Dom!

The hum doesn't sound all that loud to me either. Since you mentioned that it got worse once you plugged your guitar in, if you have single coil pups, the amp will hum more as well.

If you're still concerned about it and addition to the suggestions others have provided, if you have an electronics shop, particularly one that repairs amps, close by, bring it in and have them give it "The Once Over".

Congrats, HNMAD :applause: :rock: dude: :headbanger: and welcome to the Marshall club!

:cheers:

scozz likes this.
  14. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

1 - When there is nothing plugged in and all the volume down, I hear a sound like hum sound. I thought it was a ground loop problem, so I removed the ground pin to isolate that (i know it's not safe but it was just for testing. I changed the cable with new one with ground pin... lol). It still humming without the ground pin.

The hum comes from the tube filaments and it's normal.

2- when I put volume up on the clean channel I start hearing a hissing sound + the humming sound. It's doing the same thing on the gain channel and it's worst.

The hiss comes from the resistors in the amp circuit and it's normal.

3- when I plugged my guitar it's worst. If I turn my guitar volume down I get more humming sound. If I put my tone to 0. The humming sound is a lot attenuated.

The guitar does add noise.
    Especially if there is single coil pickups instead of humbucking pickups.
    But what you can do is shield the insides of the guitar and this will help a lot.

There is nothing wrong, all the noise is normal noise.

scozz likes this.
  15. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Do you have a noise gate pedal?

If not, try a BOSS NS-2. It is designed to work out front (guitar RF hum) and in the FX loop (preamp hiss) simultaneously. They are purpose made for these kinds of unavoidable valve amp noise.

16. Dom Dom

Dom Dom New Member

I Will check it tommorow.. thanx

17. Dom Dom

Dom Dom New Member

I did buy them today. I will change them tomorrow!!!! Thanx for your input

pedecamp likes this.
  18. Dom Dom

Dom Dom New Member

If that sounds are normal, I will sell it. It's very annoying!! But I will change the tubes tomorrow in case that it could do better...

19. Dom Dom

Dom Dom New Member

I don't have noise gate. I will read on that.. thanx for the input..

SkyMonkey likes this.
  20. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

I almost forgot welcome to the forum:cheers:.

The amp can be changed to eliminate most of the hum from filaments.
    There is numerous methods of dealing with hiss in high gain guitar amps...
    http://www.marshallforum.com/threads/jtm45-newb-help-gz34-voltage.109565/#post-1880156
    This thread going on right now is talking about reducing hiss.

Other than that pickups and shielding the guitar are a large factor.