My Ears Are Driving Me Crazy: Intonation

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by GuitarIV, Jan 7, 2020.

1. mcblink

mcblink Well-Known Member

Good question, actually. I believe he was talking about tuning the guitar, I would imagine that he's already intonated the guitar, and then, that tuning like this is supposed to compensate for the "minor imperfections that most all guitars have"

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. Bull Rock

Bull Rock Active Member

Straight neck.
    Proper nut height.
    Nut slot not binding.
    12th harmonic, 12th fretted.
    = perfect intonation. .. Well as perfect as it'll get.

If those aren't right it'll always seem a lil off. I use a clip on tuner (most times) and just do the 12th harmonic and the 12 fretted. Both my guitars are very well intonated and sound in tune (to my ears) all the way up. Another dude asked to play my blacky at a jam because he wondered how it stayed in tune for so many songs in a row.... and he was like holy hell this thing stays in tune incredibly well. I told him go home straighten the neck (his was bowed a bit) and make sure the strings are dead nuts in tune.... Then press each string after the nut in the headstock area...if it doesn't go back to pitch that's one issue and then compounded by the bow = crappy intonation and going out of tune. I have that ear that hears guitars and bass that are out and it drives me nuts lol

3. Bull Rock

Bull Rock Active Member

4. Bull Rock

Bull Rock Active Member

Look at the room in my schecky slots. And don't forget to lube those slots up lol. The new charvel I posted had an issue on the g slot. I fixed it now it's minty too. Stays in tune forever.

5. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

That is kind of how I tune my guitars except not all flat. Mine start off flat at Low E and end up sharp at High E.
    Still its similiar tuned with relation from one string to the next. Then there is drop tuning down a 1/4 or 1/2 or whatever with the same respect/formula.

The intonation of each string is set and made to ring true as close as possible at every fret but especially at like open, 12th, 15th and such.

That is kind of how I do it.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020 at 1:38 PM
    Bull Rock and mcblink like this.
  6. Bull Rock

Bull Rock Active Member

So whatcha gonna do?

7. Justin Whitstine

Justin Whitstine Member

Make sure you fret the notes lightly as possible. Pushing down hard will pull the notes sharp.