MXR Dyna Comp

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by Initiator ov Chaos 11, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Initiator ov Chaos 11

Initiator ov Chaos 11 New Member

Hey guys. I purchased this pedal but ended up returning it because of horrible noise issues. The compression itself worked great for me. But the noise and feedback created was unbearable. I used it in front of my Blackstar HT Club 40 for my overdrive channel. Needed sustain for my leads. As you may have guessed I dont have a noise gate. How does this pedal work for you? Any experience with it when used with a noise gate? And also I read somewhere that there is a little trim pot inside the housing that you can adjust to eliminate the noise. I tried it and it did not work at all. It got rid of the noise, but also the volume. Basically making it unusable. I tried minor adjustments to try and find some sort of sweet spot. But nothing worked. Any thoughts?

2. zachman

zachman Well-Known Member

My FAVORITE MUST have pedal. The noise w/ adding that much gain is inevitable, so turn it off when you stop playing solos. Pretty simple. ;)

Get a boost pedal, and run it in your loop. You'll still have to turn it off when not playing or you WILL have hiss. It's physics. And noise gates just suck the life out of your tone.

diesect20022000 likes this.
  3. johnfv

johnfv Well-Known Member

I'm a Dyna Comp fan but always used it only for clean tones. I would find something else (boost, OD) to use for leads.

4. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

The Dyna-Comps run an old chip- CA3080 Operatinal Transconductance Amplifier. They ARE noisy as these were designed like in the late 60's. They were bulit on a wafer design which requires doping of the substrate by means of a gas infusion- hence the noise.

They are obsolete and can be hard to locate but NTE has a replacement:

http://www.nteinc.com/specs/900to999/pdf/nte996.pdf

These can still be found. As far as the noise in these it could be better than thr CA3080. You would have to try it and find out or maybe someone here has and will offer up some advice.

Mitchell J Doran likes this.
  5. Mitchell J Doran

Mitchell J Doran New Member

great post, thanks for the information.

6. sccloser

sccloser Well-Known Member

They are noisy when you turn up the output. That is just how they are. Keep the output down to a level where the noise is not as noticeable. Don't rely on it for a boost in volume unless you can tolerate the noise.

I use mine for some leads, but I always hit it anytime I want some feedback...usually at the end of a KISS song...haha!

7. diesect20022000

diesect20022000 Well-Known Member VIP Member

yeah noise gates do. i have found depepnding on the use the ISP decimator series are tolerable. no tone suck when set properly at least for clean,indie and metal/prog so far. it's the ONLY series/gates i can use. i can't even use EQ pedals because of the imo negative affects on tone. there's a new one i want to TRY though but i had the old blue MXR m108 and the boss EQ-7.....the boss was tinny and digital sounding and the MXR added a bizare metalic clank and these abhorations were apparent even set flat, loop or out front

zachman likes this.
  8. zachman

I agree w/ the adding of color. It just depends if it's the right color called for, or not. I found that a lot of time a speaker change was the missing element, as opposed to an external eq. Also, using one in a switching system can sometimes eliminate some of the negative artifacts you are experiencing.

I find that sometimes-- parametric eq's are really better than graphic eq's in a guitar rig, if an external eq is required, for certain things vs others.

diesect20022000 likes this.
  9. jwebb1970

jwebb1970 New Member

A Dyna Comp has allowed me to get a "cleaner" tone from my Class 5 combo @ amp volumes that should be anything but clean with that amp.

ANd love having a DynaComp around for all clean tones as well - like the way it both fattens & squishes the clean guitar tone. Do not really use it as a boost, though.

10. indeedido

indeedido Active Member

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains...
    Only the original or 76 reissue has the CA3080. The regular versions have something else. I'm thinking of getting the 76 Reissue but I'm sure there are always better things like the Keely, etc. The 76 reissue gets a lot of fan fare as well as the original from the 70s. I don't know one from another honestly but am looking to try out a compressor with my YJM100 and it seems like a good place to start. I've got a good gate in it so I'm not worried about the noise and I'm not using a mega high gain amp either.

Anyone have any knowledge first hand of the 76 reissue dyna comp?

11. zachman

You are correct, re: the CA3080. As far as "Better" goes, that is subjective. I like the "tone" coloration of the MXR. It gets THAT sound. I mostly use it on the clean stuff, but have used it for a gain boost as well.