MX412AR with Celestion G12E-60

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by CraigP, Jul 8, 2019.

1. CraigP

CraigP Well-Known Member

So is this a pretty decent cab setup or would I be better off with a 1960A? I have been looking here locally and I can find a new 1960A for $950 and have not seen any used ones.
    The MX412AR is available at SweetWater for $500. I could upgrade speakers but I am not real sure about the MDF construction on this.

A couple of months ago I went with a Mesa Rectifier 2x12 to go with my DSL40C. It seemed to match up better than the 1960A cab when I tried it out.
    Now I am shopping for a good matchup for the new DSL100HR, something that can handle the additional power and would match well with the voicing of that amp.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  2. Drinkingdeath01

Drinkingdeath01 Well-Known Member

I'd pass on the MX series if I were you. They weren't bad but real plywood does make a difference in sound to me. Where are you located that you can't find a used 1960 on craigslist?
    Also guitar center will ship you a used cab too. They actually charged me $28 to ship a 4x12 to my front door once. I'm not saying thats what you'll pay but sometimes we all get lucky.

CraigP likes this.
  3. CraigP

CraigP Well-Known Member

Yeah, I figured it would probably be wise to spend some extra money and go with the 1960A. Not a fan of used stuff from CL and I found GC to be less than ideal when I asked about what speakers were in a used cab previously and they failed to respond.
    I am even considering a Peavey cab since it has the V30 speakers in it and that is what I have in the Mesa cab which I prefered for my DSL40C. Also, the build of the Mesa cab is better IMO. I like the solid wood back panel, casters and the fit/finish is impeccable.
    But, maybe I will just tote the head down to the store and demo the G12-75 speakers and buy that 1960A cab instead. I mean ya gotta have a Marshall cab for a Marshall head right? :)

4. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

no Marshall 412 will have a plywood rear panel. They started using particle board/MDF in around '71/'72...

CraigP likes this.
  5. CraigP

CraigP Well-Known Member

Exactly right. Why they do this I don't know but I wish they would FIX this mistake!

6. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

smoother sound characteristics &... wait for it...

cheaper...

CraigP likes this.
  7. CraigP

CraigP Well-Known Member

I knew it was cheaper but not that it improved or smoothed the sound characteristics. Not what I would expect but I'm sure they know what they are doing!

8. fifteenohms

fifteenohms Well-Known Member

GC blows those MDF cabs out for $329 on sale.

I picked one up used in Santa Ana for $70 and the kid gave me a $15 hd 6' cable for it too, having sold the amp.

Its a very sad thing to put a Marshall badge onto.

The speakers are weak and if you compare side by side to a real 1960 series cab, youll notice just how much louder stock 75's are over the Econo-Lestion.

The tolex is like real plasticky too and tears easily revealing sparse application of the glueings.

I think GC gave me $175 used for it once I was done with it.

I thanked God to be rid of it because the mdf when I had the back off it to check out the insides, I left a drink on the board and the condensation ring started to puff up right away.

That was disturbing.

9. fifteenohms

GC new 1960A, $995 w tax.

GC used 1960A, $300-750 bring a screwdriver & flashlight. The babyfaced know-nothings that work there are useless.

Craigslist used 1960A, $75-600. Usually the seller knows everything about his own cab and is helpful to final some kind of deal with you.

10. slide222

slide222 Well-Known Member

put an H and a M in a 2x12, and you will be in heaven, a lighter heaven than a 4x12

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  11. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Buy a used 1960. If you spend $900+ on a new one as soon as you walk out the door you lose 4-$500. The market is flooded with them, and they sit on c.l. for months..and thats at $300-$400.

With the new mini amp low watt smaller is better craze big amps and cabs are a hard sell anymore..prices are down dramatically from 5 years ago on 4x12s. Your flushing money down the toilet if you buy a new Marshall 1960.

Bite the bullet and look on c.l...but like was mentioned ask to remove the back panel and check to confirm that the speakers are correct..

12. CraigP

CraigP Well-Known Member

Checked CL for my area, the only Marshall listed is a DSL15H. If I expand the search area geographically, the next item I find within reason is what looks to be a homemade 4x12A cab, listed as "vintage," painted red with a plain plywood backing. Poor thing is ugly too!

pthang.JPG

13. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

People that live in metropolitan areas have no idea. They can always find something on CL or they can sell stuff locally fairly easy. I live 2 hours drive from a medium sized city and I have only ever found one Marshall amp listed on the CL equivalent. Ever. Not even MGs or valvestates. I once saw a listing for Celestion Vintage 30s. The photo had a couple of large dust cap speakers in a carpet covered MDF cab with metal grills. Duncan or Dimarzio pickups? Are you kidding. GC used online is really the only resource.

CraigP likes this.
  14. Gunner64

I live in a town of 65000 people, and there's always 1960 cabs for sale within 150 miles of me. Where are you located? I got 2 available to me now that aren't on cl if your close enough to me.

CraigP likes this.
  15. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Pick out a 1960A cab online from Guitar Center and have it shipped to your local store. Bring a screwdriver and flashlight and pop off one of the handles to look inside (or take off the back). Make sure the cab is plywood, make sure you got 4 G12T75's. Plug into it and make sure it works. If all checks out load it in the back of your SUV and head for home. :yesway:

CraigP likes this.
  16. fifteenohms

True, but truer said is that the larger the cabinet, the lower the fundamental note's threshold is supported.

This is why a 4x12 always seems deeper than a 2x12 driving the same speaker w the same power

17. fifteenohms

Plywood resonates which is why personally I prefer particle-board backboards - theyre pretty dead sounding which if dampened with insulating material - increases sensitivity by killing most of the phase-anomalys created by the usual backboard's reflection of the cone's rear-thrust wave

18. CraigP

CraigP Well-Known Member

lafayette, la 70501

19. Gunner64

Yea too far. I'm in Dubuque, Iowa.
    No matter where you buy I would buy used, the depreciation on a new cabinet is massive.
    If you buy sight unseen make sure the speakers are what should be in there.

CraigP likes this.
  20. scotheath

scotheath Member

I picked up a DSL 100H and the MX 4x12 used for 900 total. Had the set up for 8 months and sold the cab for 300 drove 8 miles and picked up a and JCM 900 1960a cab for 400 bucks best deal ever and couldn't be happier, the MX cab is ok but the 1960s with the 75s are way better.

CraigP likes this.