Must Be A Buyer's Market On Reverb And Ebay

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by mtm105, Feb 12, 2017.

1. mtm105

mtm105 Well-Known Member

2-3 years back I converted. sold my gear sitting around either MIC or wasn't going to use and put it towards boutique Amps.

I did OK on selling some items. I'd find a boutique Amp for about 1/2 retail, offer 1/3 retail. Except Dr. Z. those Amps don't depreciate much at all and sell maybe 2/3 retail.

Lockards are rather obscure. Only 100 made from guy's home shop. $2K head; made from NOS. 8 Watts. Virtual VOX, IMO. I paid 1/3 retail with Cab from Rivington NYC on Ebay. Cab MIGB GB & Vin30.

http://rivingtonguitars.com/

upload_2017-2-16_20-1-29.jpeg

ricksconnected likes this.
  2. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

I just read an interview with Jon Butcher in which he talked about a Blues Jr. he bought and had modded with EL34's and a Celestion Vintage 30 watt speaker..Said he wouldn't sell it for 10 times what he paid for it! :cool:

He did go on to say when he played live he used several vintage 100 watt Marshalls though..:yesway:

3. Ghostman

Ghostman Well-Known Member

It seems to me, that every time I see a boutique, or not necessarily rare, but less common product, the seller is always asking top dollar, and have the "NO LOW BALL OFFERS" in the description. Another perfect example of people putting a much higher value on their gear than what the market will accept, and churn.

4. Heavy Metal

Heavy Metal Well-Known Member

Most do over value their gear... nothing new really, but I'm not spending more than what I think it's worth.

5. Ghostman

no one spends more than what they think it's worth, for any item. And everyone who can't sell something, is inflating the value of their sale item. The market dictates what the value of something is, not the sellers desire to pull together as much scratch as they can on their item. As a salesman can inflate the value in the eyes of a buyer when they are face to face with the client, online sales don't get that luxury.

Who cares that you paid $4000 for that boutique tube head? When you're trying to unload it, the buyer dictates the value, and if buyers are only willing to pay $250, then your head is worth $250.

6. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member

No shit man! Ive had a mint 2007 LPS Vintage Burst listed on ebay for a month. I have 300 views and 25 watches and some ridiculous offers but nothing yet. Usually my guitars sell in 1-2 weeks...wtf!!!

mtm105 likes this.
  7. Heavy Metal

Heavy Metal Well-Known Member

I have a friend that always thinks they are going to sell items for top dollar, because someone tells them it is worth X amount. If the buyer isn't willing to pay what the item is listed for good luck. Like you said if the buyer is only willing to pay 250.00 that's what you'll get...

8. Ghostman

I don't blame a seller for trying to get as much money as possible. That's the point. But when a person gets it into their brain that their item warrants top dollar, then gets pissed that things aren't selling, I just want to slap the understanding into them that their shit isn't worth what they are asking. It's an ego thing as well. No one wants to realize that they originally paid $2k for a guitar head and they can only sell it for $250. That translates as "I was suckered when I bought it."

9. mtm105

mtm105 Well-Known Member

dude found Amp I'm selling on Ali Express new, less than for what I'm asking used. I never heard of them...

AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

Here you FXCKING GO! Have a nice day! :fingersx: Deal of the day. $183 this Amp is built boutique quality. tube sockets top notch. it's a one trick pony, though. not that that's bad either. I'm done with Amps looking like toys.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Moo...lgo_pvid=b6adad25-0eeb-4d63-bfa2-197d91048d73

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  10. keennay

keennay Well-Known Member

I used to have this problem... until I started buying used.

11. John BNY

John BNY Well-Known Member

My experience has been similar -- I used to be able to sell gear much faster than now. If you are selling, I think the trick is to set a low start price, with no reserve, and see where it goes. I tried that with a Blackstar ID60. I think I set the starting price at like $200, and the bidding drove it up to like $500 plus -- I think that's close to what I paid for the thing new. The obvious risk is if no one bids much above your starting price, but you have to be willing to take the hit. I tried to sell my 2008 ES 335, but I couldn't set the starting price below $1600, because I wasn't willing to sell it for below that price. Not a single person bid on it. The problem is, there is an oversupply of guitars on eBay, and there is too much price information available, which isn't good for sellers.

12. ricksconnected

ricksconnected Well-Known Member

damn what they look like. for me its do they have the tone I'm looking for?

John BNY likes this.
  13. John BNY

John BNY Well-Known Member

I believe Ali Express is where people can buy Chinese made Gibson knockoffs (as well as other brands) with Epiphone pickups. It's all over YouTube with some guys claiming the knockoffs are as good as the real thing. If you look at the pictures, at least cosmetically, they look pretty convincing. And, you can buy these things for less than $300. Crazy.

14. ricksconnected

ricksconnected Well-Known Member

I wouldn't buy one knowingly

15. Ghostman

Aliexpress is an Alibaba knock off which is direct from China retailer like Amazon. But bigger. :D

mtm105 likes this.