Mullard 12ax7 Ecc83 Or Cv4004?

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by cspencer, Aug 7, 2018.

1. cspencer

cspencer Member

I was listening and reading up on the Genalex Gold Lion 12AX7 ECC83 B759 Gold Pins (Russia), and Standard (China). The price of gold pins is inching up to NOS territory.

2. cspencer

cspencer Member

My Mullard 12AX7 Ecc83 arrived today. I can tell you it's money worth spending. I tried it on V1, with Marshall JJs on V2, and Tung Sol 5751 on V3 (PI). The tone, volume, music and everything was heavenly. A totally different amp. The single coil strat sounded pure. I tried different volume, gain, treble, mid and every knob on my DSL20C, and it still sounded good. I didn't have to worry about finding that sweet spot because they all are (only marginally different when dialled differently). Ultra gain was crisp too. Nice clear crunch without that fizz I was complaining about. Same deal as playing clean, I can move the knobs around and it still sounded good. Then, I tried switching the Mullard to V2 and Marshall JJ to V1, and it's yucky!! Totally yucky. Now I'm looking for a good tube for V2.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  3. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

When you buy old tubes, you may not get good ones. You may or you might not.... A tube tester doesn't measure sound quality.

When you buy new tubes, it's a lot more consistent IMHO.

DannyB and cspencer like this.
  4. cspencer

cspencer Member

I bought a brand new Mullard RI made in Russia. I'm now considering CV4004 RI or Genalax Gold Lion for V2. I want something better than Marshall JJ. They're not as good as people say.

MarshallDog likes this.
  5. cspencer

cspencer Member

Does anyone know how the tubes in v1, v2 and v3 are distributed between the channels? I read somewhere about half of v1 tube is used by green channel and red channel and both of v2 tube are used by gain in red channel. Something like that? Does anyone know for DSL20C? This will help me with tube selection. Thanks.

Edit: I found some answers here https://blog.thetubestore.com/what-the-tubes-do-in-most-marshall-tube-amps/

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  6. ampmadscientist

Tubes are all different, you need to try all different ones to see the variety.
    JJ is not the highest gain tube, but it's a good brand of tube.

If you like higher gain tubes, the Mullard is one of them. So is Sino, EHX, etc...

But that doesn't mean JJ is a bad tube,
    it just means you like higher gain tubes.

cspencer likes this.
  7. cspencer

cspencer Member

Hi ampmadscientist,

I'm not suggesting that JJs are bad. Mine came with Chinese Marshalls like JJs in V1 and V2. My Marshall V3 is like Shuguang.

BTW, I found your comment in another thread. You recommended 12AX7/B759 - Genalex Gold Lion, Gold Pin for V2. I'm considering that too. http://www.marshallforum.com/threads/preamp-tubes-in-your-plexi-style-amps.94972/

8. ampmadscientist

There's so many variations, you just need to try them and see what works.

I have seen Sino in V1 V2 V3 preamp, like Groove Tubes 12AX7CH, and it has Mucho grind that I could live with.
    That's got a lot more early breakup, and has more noise and hiss, but when it crunches I can live with that.

More gain = more hiss basically. But I like the gain and ignore the noise.

I like it to be:
    "almost but not quite out of control."

9. Trelwheen

Trelwheen Well-Known Member

I've found JJ tubes to be pretty dark.

The Sovtek tubes the guys at Mesa re-brand for use in their amps are pretty consistent and produce high avg gain. They have one batch of super-high gain examples they call SPAx7. I have a couple in a Mesa bottle rocket pedal.

The best tubes I've found for use in my Marshalls (JMP 2203, JCM 2204 and DSL40) are old RFT 12AX7. If you buy from a reputable NOS tube dealer you will pay a little more but you will get good tubes. I've only gotten two or three bad ones out of the hundreds of preamp and power tubes I've bought and scavenged over the years

And on the subject of CV4004 I have a couple of really old "box plate" ones that sound great. Plenty of gain and very low noise.

10. cspencer

cspencer Member

Following up on hiss, my DSL20C tubes had some hiss and pop (when switching from ultra gain to clean): Marshall labelled JJs in V1 and V2; Marshall labelled Shuguang in V3 (PI).

However, I have no hiss and no pop with my current setup: Mullard RI 12AX7 Ecc83 in V1; Marshall labelled JJ in V2; Tung Sol 5751 in V3 (PI). Bear in mind I'm using a strat with 54' pickups.

Interestingly, when I put the 5751 into V1 or V2 with Marshall JJs in the other slots, the hiss was greater.

11. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

If any of you guys want tubes tested for gain, Mho, noise level and an audible listening test for microphonics shoot me a line.

12. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member